Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matchking as game-taker??

Matchking as game-taker??

OK--I know this gets into "ethical controversy land" but let me say from the get-go that I neither use nor advocate the use of target rounds for taking big game--but am intrigued to ask nonetheless and am interested what the collective group-think is.

I happen to know a professional hand-loader (meaning he does this for a living for match shooters, LE etc.) and he tells me he hunts with matchkings. He's been hunting probably longer than I've been alive--which is saying alot since I'm well north of 50.

His reasoning sounds absurdly simple. #1, he says the matchking is the most consistently accurate bullet he knows of across the wide range of calibers and ranges being used for; and therefore is the easiest to work up to a good load. and 2) He says he's DRT'd over 100 deer with it. When I asked about the problem of fragmentation--he says that's why he likes it--basically by fragmenting after impact 100% of the kinetic energy is absorbed by the tissue resulting in massive tissue destruction. We were talkin 6.5 caliber on up--so penetration and smashing through bone he says are not a problem.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    if i were going to be using standard cartriges for normal type hunting id be using standard hunting type bullets.
    my father always used 180 gr. round nose bullets in his 3006. while i wont advocate using those theres certainly
    nothing wrong with using good hunting bullets for most hunting situations.
    for long range shooting however things like shape and bc become far more meaningfull.
    virtualy all long range hunters use match grade bullets including sierra matchkings.
    theres no argument as to their ability for killing animals. those who think otherwise simply havent used them.

stangfish
    Sad thing is the game king and pro hunter are almost as accurate with jackets that are designed for hunting.

rattfink
    If you asked the guys at Berger what makes their hunting bullet so darn good, they'd tell because it explodes inside the animals vitals, expending all of its energy. And that sounds like what your hand loading friend says of the Sierra's. Berger hunting bullets are the exact same thing as their match target bullets but with ever so slightly thicker walls.
    Last edited by rattfink; 10-08-2013 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rattfink View Post
    If you asked the guys at Berger what makes their hunting bullet so **** good, they'd tell because it explodes inside the animals vitals, expending all of its energy. And that sounds like what your hand loading friend says of the Sierra's. Berger hunting bullets are the exact same thing as their match target bullets but with ever so slightly thicker walls.
    Funny enough--the same guy says bergers are the one bullet he won't waste time on--he says there's too much "voodoo" in getting them to behave consistently and predictably across a reasonable range of weapons--but maybe that's just bias.

I like the Hornady A-Max for it's target grade accuracy and for hunting. I've blown the deer's heart up with Hornady 168 hpbt match bullet's up to 500 yards. But I also get practice all summer long with the woodchucks LOL.

Basic Member
    well berger does state on the box which are and which arent (reccomended) for hunting.
    how many of us have disected the bullets to know for sure they arent the same.
    sierra does not say anything on their boxes. on some of the 500 round boxes they state
    the bullet was designed for target shooting with custom rifles. but it dosent say not for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by DanSavage View Post
    I like the Hornady A-Max for it's target grade accuracy and for hunting. I've blown the deer's heart up with Hornady 168 hpbt match bullet's up to 500 yards. But I also get practice all summer long with the woodchucks LOL.
    My bud said a-maxes were also a good choice and runner-up to the matchkings IHO. He's not a big fan of Nosler--but for some unknown reason I tend to shoot well with them in my hand-loads, so I continue to use them. Go figure.

goinssr
    Nosler Ballistic Tips have been some of the most accurate bullets I've ever shot. And they are serious deer hammers!

Quote Originally Posted by goinssr View Post
    Nosler Ballistic Tips have been some of the most accurate bullets I've ever shot. And they are serious deer hammers!
    I agree, Nosler Ballistic tips are very accurate and a better all around hunting bullet, they have proven very accurate. The 165 Ballistic tip shot from .5" down to .2" 3 shot groups at 100 yards. The most accurate bullet in one of my .308 barrels is the Ballistic Silver Tip 168's and Varget. I don't shoot Nolser's much anymore because of the price.

I've got a bunch of 178 A-max's I'll try this deer season.
    Last edited by DanSavage; 10-08-2013 at 09:16 PM.

Linebredrebel
    Quote Originally Posted by DanSavage View Post
    I agree, Nosler Ballistic tips are very accurate and a better all around hunting bullet, they have proven very accurate. The 165 Ballistic tip shot from .5" down to .2" 3 shot groups at 100 yards. The most accurate bullet in one of my .308 barrels is the Ballistic Silver Tip 168's and Varget. I don't shoot Nolser's much anymore because of the price.

I've got a bunch of 178 A-max's I'll try this deer season.
    +1 for the Nosler Ballistic tip!

Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    Funny enough--the same guy says bergers are the one bullet he won't waste time on--he says there's too much "voodoo" in getting them to behave consistently and predictably across a reasonable range of weapons--but maybe that's just bias.
    Bergers can be finicky because of the VLD's are very depth sensitive. Most prefer to be at the lands or jammed. With the length of them it can be tough to fit them in a standard length magazine.

Great bullets, but have a couple factors to work around when finding a load.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    well berger does state on the box which are and which arent (reccomended) for hunting.
    how many of us have disected the bullets to know for sure they arent the same.
    sierra does not say anything on their boxes. on some of the 500 round boxes they state
    the bullet was designed for target shooting with custom rifles. but it dosent say not for hunting.
    Yes, Berger targets have a thicker jacket that hinders it's ability to radically expand in game. The hunting versions have a thinner jacket.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Matchking as game-taker??

Deer aren't bulletproof, and if you can put a SMK where it needs to go it will certainly do the job.

But failures are likely more possible, especially if it gets into a shoulder.

The Amax is a better "match/hunting" bullet IMO, but most folks that say "Don't use match bullets" have probably never hunted with them to see their terminal effects, either.

Also, +whatever on the NBT..."deer bombs" just work.

Being a long range hunter myself and having used all the bullets mentioned at one point or another I can honestly say the bergers provide the best accuracy and performance of any of them. The sierra game king is my second choice, a finer hunting bullet is hard to come by. The match kings work when put in the right place but throughout my bullet testing expansion was unreliable. Some would pencil through and others would expand violently much like a berger. The hornady Amax has also proven to be a solid performer at long range providing excellent ballistics and terminal performance. Noslers perform well on game as well but lack the b.c. I desire for long range work. I have found the b.c. on Nosler bullets to be highly exaggerated. Great bullets but not my pick for anything over 400 yards.

Damol
    Burger also has there hybred line, they dont mind being jumped so loading to the lands is not needed.
    Lots of guys on the Long Range Hunting Magazine on line forum use the Match Kings.
    The Nosler Custom Competition is another choice, just have not heard anything about there use on game
    as of yet.
    So many great bullets out there for hunting, target, and those that cross the line between the two.
    Good luck, and let us know what you pick and how it works out for you.

I have pretty much all these bullets at my disposal--I was just wondering how much credence there was to the internal fragmentation/massive destruction theory--sounds pretty solid to me from what I gather here. Funny how I haven't heard many people step up and say anything nice about Barnes copper bullets which are supposedly known for their very significant mushrooming and very high weight retention.

Basic Member
    From my reading about the anatomy of killing, bullets like Barnes are not my choice. A hypodermic needle gives great penetration, a baseball delivers high energy, but I am convinced a large wound channel is the way to go. On that basis I like Bergers, and also no problem jumping a lot off the lands. Yes there are many opposing opinions on this topic!

Lots of opinions indeed. I too personally like a bullet that will dump all of its energy into the animal rather than the ground behind it. As far as seating sensitivity goes for the Berger out off all my rifles only one has preferred the bullet just touching the lands. The rest are set .025 from the lands and shoot beautifully. I've not yet messed with the hybrids just because I have not ever had any trouble with the regular vld design.

Basic Member
    My hunting requirements have changed as I have aged. I have more than enough nice racks to my name and now meat is my goal. I don't want fragmentation. It messes up the meat. I also don't want to track them any more. I want them anchored on the spot or darned close to it so a good solid bullet is required.

Quote Originally Posted by kelbro View Post
    My hunting requirements have changed as I have aged. I have more than enough nice racks to my name and now meat is my goal. I don't want fragmentation. It messes up the meat. I also don't want to track them any more. I want them anchored on the spot or darned close to it so a good solid bullet is required.
    What's your preferred bullet?

Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    OK--I know this gets into "ethical controversy land" but let me say from the get-go that I neither use nor advocate the use of target rounds for taking big game--but am intrigued to ask nonetheless and am interested what the collective group-think is.

I happen to know a professional hand-loader (meaning he does this for a living for match shooters, LE etc.) and he tells me he hunts with matchkings. He's been hunting probably longer than I've been alive--which is saying alot since I'm well north of 50...
    How often does your friend take a shot from other than broadside and into the vital zone?

The issue being that it does not take much to get into the ribcage from the side. The stouter bullets help give more margin for deeper penetration for quartering shots and the occasional shoulder impact.

PS Neck and head shots don't take much bullet either, but neither of these are reliable game-taking shots since the critical zone is so small and the animal moves its head more than anything else except for the tail. Alas, too many folks take these shots and brag when they work and say nothing about misses.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JASmith View Post
    Alas, too many folks take these shots and brag when they work and say nothing about misses.
    truer words have never been spoken. but that also relates to all the world record groups shot with hunting rifles.
    we tend to hear good news quickly. bad news seldom finds its way out of the woods.

With my experience with the bergers the meat damage has been less than one that passes completely through as there is generally only damage to one side and the internals only. I also differ from most hunters and aim for the shoulder bone rather than behind the shoulder. The bergers have no trouble penetrating and breaking bone and making complete goo out of everything behind it.

Most hunters I know--if you get enough beers in 'em--well fess up to at least one that was poorly hit or for other reasons they could never find. Not something they generally want to brag about. I've heard a fair amount of "that bullet (bigger calibers than 223) I swear went right through the vitals and out the other side but I never had a good trail and couldn't find the deer."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast