Thread: New br rifle

New br rifle

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

This is the new BR rifle I just finished after 61/2 months of waiting for parts.
    List of parts & prices.

Savage PTA,CBI 243 Win 1:8twist,recoil lug-885
    Shehane BR stock- $900.00
    Weaver T36-$450
    Kelby bases & rings $198
    Air glide case- $42
    total- $2477

The target tells what the capabilities are those are from left to right shots 70-80.

The trigger brakes clean at 8oz, so I need to get used to it (usually have my triggers at 1.5lbs). This is set for 100-200 yard BR score matches, and with a little more load work I think it will get to where I want it.
    3 shot groups #1 is.332 , #2 is .399 , #3 is .308. 1st one has cold bore shot high but still at .65.
    Last edited by rjtfroggy; 08-19-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    nice rig, im partial to wood stocks also. i was of the opinion 6x max was a requirment on the score matches?

6X and 10lbs or less is for " HUNTER " class other than that any power is allowed.
    FROGGY

GSRswapandslow
    Why is your st-br listed at $900? The include bedding or something?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

GSRswapandslow
    And any reason you chose a 243 for point blank, or is this just a range toy?

The st-br is listed at $495 but then add the inletting for a Savage, then the recoil pad, then the stainless inserts for the screws then the stainless screws, add it all up and it comes to $892,close enough for $900. Oh yea NO BEDDING,enough was enough.
    As for the 243 I have over 450 pieces of brass and 3 sets of dies so why not, plus the 243 is pretty accurate, and it certainly is not a carry around hunter.
    FROGGY

GSRswapandslow
    Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post
    The st-br is listed at $495 but then add the inletting for a Savage, then the recoil pad, then the stainless inserts for the screws then the stainless screws, add it all up and it comes to $892,close enough for $900. Oh yea NO BEDDING,enough was enough.
    As for the 243 I have over 450 pieces of brass and 3 sets of dies so why not, plus the 243 is pretty accurate, and it certainly is not a carry around hunter.
    Wow....I didn't know Bill charged extra for all that....

I knew about the recoil pad ( xtra $135 ) but thought a stock advertized for a Savage would be inletted for it, live and learn. Nice stock but I'll only get burned once and it is my own fault for not making sure of the finished product price. Oh one last thing it wasn't finished I had to do that, even had a little dremel work in the trigger area and to float the tang.
    FROGGY

GSRswapandslow
    Wow....glad I saw this....I was about to head his way for restocking my 223ai... its a rem, so it should be free inletting...but the rest will still cost me apparently.

I might just have to look at PRT again

GSR do yourself a favor and do some more shopping-there are plenty of cheaper stocks out there. Check Stocky's they even carry Manners or check Joel Russo, check all prices and confirm before you order.
    FROGGY

GSRswapandslow
    yeah...i saw the stockys, and also the grizzly, but neither is quite as nice as the tracker or the PTR......but, then again..they're both right at $500 FINISHED....so.....kind of hard to argue half the price

223 4 me
    In a word....PERFECT!

Basic Member
    Very nice!
    Thanks for sharing
    I try to forget how much I spend on a rig a quick as possible. ( even though i can't) LOL
    Makes shooting it much more fun
    Jack

That is why I am not complaining about the prices or bad mouthing anyone. I knew going into this build it was going to be the most expensive Savage I would ever do, I usually average around $1k for everything.I could have bought a custom rig used but slightly for the same money but then it wouldn't have been a Savage so it would have been out of place in my safe.
    FROGGY

82boy
    Kind of reminds me of something.

Good cartridge! The 243 will amaze you.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

This is the new BR rifle I just finished after 61/2 months of waiting for parts.
    List of parts & prices.

Savage PTA,CBI 243 Win 1:8twist,recoil lug-885
    Shehane BR stock- $900.00
    Weaver T36-$450
    Kelby bases & rings $198
    Air glide case- $42
    total- $2477

The target tells what the capabilities are those are from left to right shots 70-80.

The trigger brakes clean at 8oz, so I need to get used to it (usually have my triggers at 1.5lbs). This is set for 100-200 yard BR score matches, and with a little more load work I think it will get to where I want it.
    3 shot groups #1 is.332 , #2 is .399 , #3 is .308. 1st one has cold bore shot high but still at .65.
    That's a pretty solid looking rifle you've got there. I just picked up a laminate Shehane MBR Tracker for my F-Class build, and there was a bit of sticker shock on this end too. I won't have anything to complain about though if she shoots as well as your build!

Petre
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    That's a real beauty. And if you have an off day shooting you can still beat the competition by simply blinding them...

J/K ;-)

Sweet build!

Basic Member
    GSR do yourself a favor and do some more shopping-there are plenty of cheaper stocks out there. Check Stocky's they even carry Manners or check Joel Russo, check all prices and confirm before you order.
    Untill about a year or so ago (Russo) stocks originated in the shop of Gerry Baer which happens to be in the same building as her husband Bruce Baer.
    Gerry does the duplicating and the beautiful finish work. But i have no clue who does the inletting and bedding lol.

Basic Member
    God looking outfit. I have my model 12 in a br stock the same colors

1coolcat
    Very nice build sir. It turned out beautifully. In my opinion the price is still a good one, good parts require good workers and they don't come cheap.. I don't mind spending money on quality gun parts.
    Obviously your in the same mind set. When you sit down at the bench or lay on your mat and touch that trigger the groups will show you where your money went.
    You don't need to spend 6k, but let's be realistic... You need to open your wallet a little wider nowaday.

I like to compare shooting to golf, people will spend the same amount of money on a set of good clubs as we do our rifles, and reloading gear..so to each there own..good thing is ..when were ready to upgrade.. We get alot more money on our used equipment then the golfers do..
    At least that is how I justify it to my wife..lol

1coolcat
    Dbl. Post..sorry
    Last edited by 1coolcat; 03-05-2016 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Dbl post

cwop
    Somewhere I think maybe 6br there is an article on a b/r rifle smithed by Fred Moreo lots of bling I don't know how he did it yet and I am sure that stock had been sent out to a car body man for painting. No telling how many coats had been put on it.

b/r is not a cheap sport. I have a 22 b/r rifle smithed by Gene Davis and everything is amazing I hate to think what that rifle cost when it was built.

If you want cheap throw lawn darts.
    I just turned a 6mm X-Caliber Apachie barrel on it but the dies came in wrong so I am waiting on the replacements, they were supposed to be here 2 weeks ago now they tell me they will be shipped tomorrow.
    The 243 was still shooting real nice groups well under .5 but it has just over 1500 rounds down it and I won't take the chance of it going bad at a match.
    FROGGY

Looks Noice, congrats.