Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Axis build

Basic Member

If you get it makes sure you get the sunshade with it. Worked great here in the SOCAL sun

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    I'll keep that in mind.
    Gents - have a good evening. Just finished a good rainstorm here & after listening to the rain on the roof, I need a nap.

And I need to get ready for tomorrow.

RANGE DAY!!!!
    A day where MEN get together & shoot guns, talk guns, live guns. An estrogen free zone.

Later Y'all...
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    I like the fixed magnification because with lower end scopes they usually get fuzzy passed 16x or so anyways. I may upgrade to higher mag down the road when I can build another rifle, but for learning the basics of long range shooting it's a more than stellar optic for its cost.

LW seeing it is a fixed power and Mil-dot do the dots get in the way at say 300+ yards...meaning do they cover the target so you don't get a clear picture of the 10 ring?

I've always used the fine reticle so as not to cover the target where I can not see the bulls-eye.

Basic Member
    I didn't view any competition style paper targets passed 100yds the other day. I don't think they would though. They have better reticle choices (for paper shooting) in the MRAD versions that may be more appropriate also a higher magnification would make a big difference in the view at 300 for precision on paper.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 09-01-2013 at 10:05 AM.

Basic Member
    So After doing the math I realized that my grouping is actually sub half MOA at 100 yards. I estimated it to be roughly .75 inches all the way across if you subtract .308 you end up with .442 (Estimated of Course). I will bring my Micrometer next time.

Anyways, I was thinking about bedding this rifle still, but it's shooting very well without it. What are the views of the guys that have bedded a well performing rifle in a Laminate stock? I've been conversing with Nate Foster of Terminal Ballistics Research and creator of Match Grade Bedding Compound. It sounds like it mostly aids in controlling variations in the stock due to temperature. I don't really know how much more performance I would get from bedding, but it still interests me. Might be more of a longevity of the accuracy maybe?

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 09-03-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Basic Member
    Lonewolf, does your stock now have pillars? Thanks ..... Jim

I've never done a build with a wood stock (yet) but why does a wood stock--which I assume is rigid--need a pillar bed to begin with? Just asking cause I don't know.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

thomae
    When you tighten the action screws, the wood between the action and the head of the action screw can actually become deformed or compressed, so you may end up not applying a precise and repeatable amount of pressure between the action and the stock. With pillars, the amount of compression between the head of the screw and the action is reduced to an amount that approaches zero.

The object is to have the action and the stock always in the exact same relationship (repeatability corresponds to greater precision) and that usually happens better with a pillar bedded action and stock.

Makes sense--I thought the sleeved screw and fixed lug would do the same thing but maybe not enough. Thanks.

Basic Member
    The front action screw has a pillar. Do to the design of the axis and this stock the rear is not and I don't believe it would require because the front of the trigger housing sits directly on the stock and the action screw goes through it before entering the threads in the action. On the bottom the pressure is sustained on the front of the trigger guard.

Understand this stock is CNC cut for the Axis. It seems to me maybe bedding the front of the action, but don't see the rear needing it.

I will get some pictures up later. If this doesn't make sense.

Basic Member
    Thanks LoneWolf.....pictures always help! :)......Jim

Basic Member
    [/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

tag for later when secret stock info is declassified

Basic Member
    It has a rear pillar now! Took a 1/4 in. pipe fitting cut and ground it to size with a dremel. Then I opened the hole up with a drill. Took about 1hr to get it just right after setting up my new work station.

Quote Originally Posted by Willoughby View Post
    tag for later when secret stock info is declassified
    Requires top-secret clearance or membership in the Congressional armed services committee.

Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    When you tighten the action screws, the wood between the action and the head of the action screw can actually become deformed or compressed, so you may end up not applying a precise and repeatable amount of pressure between the action and the stock. With pillars, the amount of compression between the head of the screw and the action is reduced to an amount that approaches zero.

The object is to have the action and the stock always in the exact same relationship (repeatability corresponds to greater precision) and that usually happens better with a pillar bedded action and stock.
    Ah--I think I got a bit confoosed--I think of a pillar bed as a solid metal bed upon which the receiver rests on--not simply the sleeve that the receiver screws go up through.

Basic Member
    Kind of thought that was the point of the name "pillar" bedding. Pillars are used to reinforce structures. In this case the connection between the action and stock by reinforcing the stock.

Last edited by LoneWolf; 09-07-2013 at 08:39 PM.

daviscustom
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    Ah--I think I got a bit confoosed--I think of a pillar bed as a solid metal bed upon which the receiver rests on--not simply the sleeve that the receiver screws go up through.
    Nope, what you are talking about is a full length bedding block that the receiver/barrel rests in.

Pillar bedding just makes it so you can torque your receiver screws consistently without the stock crushing when you tighten it down....just like Thomae said.

Quote Originally Posted by daviscustom View Post
    Nope, what you are talking about is a full length bedding block that the receiver/barrel rests in.

Pillar bedding just makes it so you can torque your receiver screws consistently without the stock crushing when you tighten it down....just like Thomae said.
    Got it--I just assumed that all stocks had to have a pillar bed--do finished rifles ever come without them?

daviscustom
    Yes, many don't have them. It is a common upgrade that is done when bedding the action. Often the action and first couple inches of the barrel are bedded (with Marine tex or Acraglas or something similar) at the same time to help marry the barreled action to the stock and make it so once you tighten the screws down everything should stay where it is supposed to, and hopefully not shift around in the stock every time you pull the trigger. If the action has any wiggle room the vibrations from firing the rifle can cause it to change positions slightly in the stock, causing pressure points on the barrel and action to change.....in turn effecting your point of impact in comparison to previous shots and opening up your group size.

I would say it would be a good project for LoneWolf to go ahead and bed the action once he has tested out his latest upgrade, and see if he can make that rifle shoot even better.

Basic Member
    That's the intent. I'm gaining more confidence in my diy gunsmithing with each project. I knew once I drilled into the stock yesterday there was no Turing back. Same thing will be for the bedding job when I start roughing up the interior to get good adhesion of the bedding compound. It is quite fun to tackle these little projects yourself.

The crazy thing to me is this is the first rifle/firearm I have owned personally and everything is working out on first attempt. I guess I owe it all to proper research and preparation. Along with some advice from the good people on this forum. I will continue to update on the life of my Axis project.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    That's the intent. I'm gaining more confidence in my diy gunsmithing with each project. I knew once I drilled into the stock yesterday there was no Turing back. Same thing will be for the bedding job when I start roughing up the interior to get good adhesion of the bedding compound. It is quite fun to tackle these little projects yourself.

The crazy thing to me is this is the first rifle/firearm I have owned personally and everything is working out on first attempt. I guess I owe it all to proper research and preparation. Along with some advice from the good people on this forum. I will continue to update on the life of my Axis project.

All we really care about is where the stock came from. lol, just kidding. Well, mostly : ) What are you using for a bedding compound?

Basic Member
    I was thinking of going with this kit:

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/shop...+Compound.html

I spoke with Nathan Foster own of the company who developed it and they have quite a bit of information on bedding the Axis and Tikka T-3 that use the stock inbedded recoil lug rather than the standard lug. He's even willing to walk me through it via skype to ensure it is completed without issues. He really stands behind his product.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    I was thinking of going with this kit:

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/shop...+Compound.html

I spoke with Nathan Foster own of the company who developed it and they have quite a bit of information on bedding the Axis and Tikka T-3 that use the stock inbedded recoil lug rather than the standard lug. He's even willing to walk me through it via skype to ensure it is completed without issues. He really stands behind his product.
    That's awesome. Very cool you're showing us all what you do.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast