Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Axis build

Basic Member

Got the karsten riser today. 5 min install minus waiting for the Birchwood Casey tru oil to dry after drilling. New glass should be here tomorrow and hopefully the SPS 2 in time for a range trip this weekend to break her in. Will put up more pictures this weekend if not tomorrow or Saturday.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Basic Member
    Heading out to the range today to break in the rebuilt Axis and find out what kind of tuning I may need to do.

The SPS 2 adjustable plate ended up being much larger than I expected, so I will not be installing it at this time. I did get the karsten riser installed and did a rough mounting of the new glass.

Will put up new pictures after today's range trip.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Very excited today gentlemen. I finally made it home last night and I'm going to start my build today.

I will be bringing some pictures to this thread, but I have to wait until I can go get the rest of the tools I need. Turns out my current vice doesn't open far enough for the barrel vise I got. Also was going to pick up a torque wrench and torque screw driver. I have to remove some material from the stock I picked up as well. Hopefully by tomorrow I should have it all together.

Base is a Savage Axis SR in .308
    Barrel is a McGowan 26" varmint contour in .308 1 in 10 twist
    Rifle Basix SAV-1 Trigger
    Stock is still a secret
    Be adding a 20 MOA scope base and for now still rocking the Barska that was on it at time of purchase. (want a 10x42 SWFA SS) and I'll be moving the bipod and sling over to the new stock as well.

Hopefully all goes smoothly. Once I get the rest of the tools this morning.

I'm sorry I fell into this thread a bit late--I was going to tell you that for the 308 setup you have you might consider the SS 12 or 16 instead of the 10. I have the 12 atop my SASS but am going to replace it with the 16 as soon as I can for shots out to 600 yds. They also have a new 3 -15 first focal plane variable mag that looks MIGHTY interesting. I love their mil-Quad reticle.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    This SWFA glass is so much clearer than the Barska. Should be on the road in about 20min. I might upgrade again down the road, but I've shot with iron sights to 500 most of my career. Now using the 4x ACOG on M4 or M16 depending on what's issued, so 10x will be a huge advantage for me in my eyes. Plus I'm still young with 20/13 vision, so we'll see where I want to take my shooting with this rifle. I will decide if I'm going to bed the action or not after today.

Us old folk need all the help they can get. : ) Have fun and POST pics!

Basic Member
    To all who have been waiting. Here is the first range trip.

(note the bean bag neck pillow for an improvised rear bag)
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 09-01-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Basic Member
    And what you've really been waiting for is the 100yd groups:

1. This is my group after sighting about 3/4in I forgot to take my micrometer. I didn't have a perfectly stable shooting position and only using a 10x scope though. I think I will look into bedding the action on this after today. I am very pleased with the accuracy and consistency though.

Ammo was the Atomic Custom Nosler Match 168gr BTHP. This is good factory ammo gentlemen.

2. This is my brother in law's who before today had only fired a 30-06 into a river when he was 15. He scored hits at 675yds today. While I went all the way out to 890yds.

3. Here is a side by side comparisson of the groups.

Last edited by LoneWolf; 08-30-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Basic Member
    http://www.ncsapala.com/

Here's more info on the range I was at with photo range cards.

I feel I have officially built a rifle that shoots better than I can. Very pleased.

Last edited by LoneWolf; 08-30-2013 at 06:38 PM.

You mean to say that your group--which is barely 1"--was shot at 900 yds?? That is friggin amazing--especially with that ammo.

Basic Member
    Lol at 100yds, but maybe one day!

Your gun is gorgeous--but you say yer bro was hitting at 675 yds and you at 890+--I don't get it??

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    Your gun is gorgeous--but you say yer bro was hitting at 675 yds and you at 890+--I don't get it??

We shot the groups at 100, but our longest hits were out a might further.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 08-30-2013 at 10:12 PM.

Maybe I had too many beers tonight... : )

Basic Member
    Sounds like a good plan. I had a good day at the range regardless. Nothing more rewarding in this game than building a rifle yourself and having it perform the way you imagined and then some on the first outing.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    I'm sorry I fell into this thread a bit late--I was going to tell you that for the 308 setup you have you might consider the SS 12 or 16 instead of the 10. I have the 12 atop my SASS but am going to replace it with the 16 as soon as I can for shots out to 600 yds. They also have a new 3 -15 first focal plane variable mag that looks MIGHTY interesting. I love their mil-Quad reticle.
    On second thought if I build a 223 I'll switch this scope to it and get a 16x for the 308.

Anvil
    LW, I like what you did with the gun. I would like to see you hit them groups with the stock barrel. I took out my Rem700 and was hitting groups tighter than that at about 300. I need to get out to a bigger range to see what she can really do. You should get a NightForce Scope. Thats what I am using. I think your scope rings are just fine for a man of your caliber. Although cheek weld is important if thats comfortable for you stick with what works. Dont fix what isnt broken. If you hit groupd like that you should be good with where your scope is. You may look into a cheek riser or just build one since that gun is becoming custom. You are doing a good job my friend. I have been doing quite a bit of smithing myself. Recently drilled a hole in the back of the receiver on my 10/22 and shaved the bolt **** near in half on a sanding wheel then polished it. Making it nice and smooth. Now I am cutting out a portion of the bolt catch so it doesnt need to catch as well. Also trigger job and all the works. you know how I roll.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anvil View Post
    LW, I like what you did with the gun. I would like to see you hit them groups with the stock barrel. I took out my Rem700 and was hitting groups tighter than that at about 300. I need to get out to a bigger range to see what she can really do. You should get a NightForce Scope. Thats what I am using. I think your scope rings are just fine for a man of your caliber. Although cheek weld is important if thats comfortable for you stick with what works. Dont fix what isnt broken. If you hit groupd like that you should be good with where your scope is. You may look into a cheek riser or just build one since that gun is becoming custom. You are doing a good job my friend. I have been doing quite a bit of smithing myself. Recently drilled a hole in the back of the receiver on my 10/22 and shaved the bolt **** near in half on a sanding wheel then polished it. Making it nice and smooth. Now I am cutting out a portion of the bolt catch so it doesnt need to catch as well. Also trigger job and all the works. you know how I roll.
    I'm sure it would group just as well with the stock barrel, but the 20" sporter wasn't going to do what I wanted the rifle to do. I built it and rebarreled for a purpose. This is a custom Rifle already because you can not purchase one from the factory like it. Not an Axis that's for sure. I added a cheek riser already it's in the photos from the range.

Not sure what you mean by a man of my "caliber", but sure whatever you say. As for the Night Force Scope I would rather stick to the one I have since it is of great quality/clarity and fell within my build budget. The gun shoots better than what I was capable of today, but I will get better with it as I get out with it more.

I'm not going to address the Remington comments because I believe there is more to shooting then the brand of rifle.
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 08-31-2013 at 02:18 AM.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    And the best part is?....

It didn't cost the price of a Remington.

Nice shooting Wolf. Even if you are in California.

That piece of hardware you put together looks better each time I look at it. Nicely done.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Quote Originally Posted by Anvil View Post
    LW, I like what you did with the gun. I would like to see you hit them groups with the stock barrel. I took out my Rem700 and was hitting groups tighter than that at about 300.
    Like they say...No pics...did not happen!!

Looking good LW...Like what you have done with that AXIS!!

Basic Member
    When it comes down to it you can go buy a Remington, Gap, Gunwerks, etc or even a Savage in some cases that will come out of the box doing what the rifle I built does. But the price will usually be anywhere from 2-5 times the cost and you won't have anywhere near the satisfaction of seeing something that you built perform as intended.

Last edited by LoneWolf; 08-31-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Basic Member
    Hey Wolfie -
    I meant to ask you, what do you think about that SWFA scope? I've been looking at them recently & considering trying one out.

Your thoughts, opinion, input?

Basic Member
    Well next to a Night Force it's the clearest glass I've peeped through, but I've never looked through a vortex or any of the such. A Leupold here and there I guess. But I love the controls on this scope large solid turrets and cleat audible clicks. It was pretty much dial and shoot once zeroed. I used it in combination with the Strelok+ App on my android phone, together they were very effective.

I didn't do anything special when mounting it either. Just leveled the gun, leveled the scope and went around evenly tightening the screws like you would when changing a tire. It's definitely solid and fixed magnification takes out some of the guess work. I'm very satisfied.

Last edited by LoneWolf; 08-31-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Basic Member
    You prefer fixed magnification over variable?

Sounds like it might be good deal as long as it holds together & the glass is nice & clear. Any idea about their warranty on it?
    Ever try a Nikon? Some nice clear glass there, too. At least the Nikons I've put my baby blues up against.

I'll second that--IMO, in it's price class, nothing else comes close--just as they say in their advertising. The turrets and focus are very visible and easy to adjust quickly by sight or blind feel. if you prefer reticle hold-over they excel there too--you really need to go take a look at their website for a pic of their mil-quad reticle. The only slight downside to the "budget" fixed mag scopes is that the reticle subtensions are so fine they can be a bit hard to see in bright light at long range. It's a real-world sniper scope--I know a sniper that used them overseas.
    Last edited by thermaler; 08-31-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast