Thread: Shilen or McGowan?

KDX

Shilen or McGowan?

I'm going to build a 17 MachIV/Fireball based on my VLP and was wondering which barrel maker I should be going with. Any advice would be appreciated.

fatdaddy

Re: Shilen or McGowan?

Its really a subjective thing. Personal choice like blond or redhead.... For what its worth put me down for a Mcgowan and a redhead. Bill

Basic Member

How me it is about performance and customer service. I have 2 McGowens and 5 Shilens. My next purchase will be a Shilen. That's just me....... Tim

fatdaddy

I have 2 mcgowans and 1 shilen. All shoot great. Never had any reason to deal with either customer service. But I did read about a reamer issue with a 222 mcgowan barrel now that you mention it...Bill

torjy

Shilen

DGD6MM

I've got 1 Shilen and had a AR-30 with a Shilen, good barrels. With that being said I'd try a McGowen.

learjet

mcgowen fan here. my 308 bbls wonderful, just ordered a 338 rum bbl. talked at length w Dan at mcgowen, discussing my upcoming build. very knowledgeable guy. their turn time is much quicker than shilen atm i believe.

im sure shilen makes a wonderful barrel as well

I've never shot a Shilen, but am sure they are just as good as all the others.
    I have had 4 Mcgowans and they all shoot and clean very well. My 6br has shot in the .1's and the 308 I just sold to Blue Avenger was averaging in the mid.3 range, with many in the low .2's. I have not had to deal with any customer service either but have been very happy with the barrels I have gotten. My new 308 and 22-250 each shoot 1/2 moa and I have yet to do load work on them yet.

Another option to think about is a Brux from SSS or Sinman.

I wouldnt mind buying a Shilen, but the wait time is just a deal killer when you can get just as good of a barrel in half the time.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

All the people I have talked with about McGowen, I have decided in my mind that they are good if the send you a good one. They also let a few more bad ones slip through then they should. Have heard very little after the change in employees there. So I have no guess on what there Quality control did with the changes.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor