Thread: Which Extractor

bigjohnson

Which Extractor

I just got my PTG 6.8 bolt in the mail today. I need to order the extractor and spring for it. My question is which extractor would I need for the 6.8 or .420 case head?

stangfish
    PPC. SSS should have it.

82boy
    Call PT&G, and ask them.

Many people misunderstand what the PPC extractor that SSS makes actual intended use for it is. This extractor was designed to use a standard .470 bolt head with the smaller PPC case, and no ejector. This was designed so that it would hold the case against the bolt head and have to be picked out. For some reason people think that this is the be all fix all for extraction problems, and it is not. This is not a fix for the blackout, and other cartridges that will not extract, as many have claimed it is. It is my understanding that SSS has stopped production of the PPC extractor due to all the misguided information, and only makes PPC bolt heads with are designed for use with an ejector, and a PPC size bolt head.

stangfish
    Thanks for the clarification 82.

gpb11
    I received my 6.8 SPC bolt head from PTG last week. I'm putting together a 30 Remington. It's the parent cartridge for the 6.8 SPC and uses the same .420 bolt head.

I put the same extractor, ball and spring in my PTG bolt head that work in the 308 Winchester Stevens 200 donor rifle. They fit and seem to work fine in the PTG bolt head. These are standard parts that I ordered from Savage for the 308 Win. Stevens 200.

A 30 Remington case snaps in place and holds like I would I expect. Unfortunately, I don't have my barrel yet so I can't do a full function test. From what I see I don't see why these shouldn't work fine.
    Last edited by gpb11; 08-14-2013 at 09:34 PM. Reason: spelling