Thread: Long Range Hunter Dilemma

huntslow

Long Range Hunter Dilemma

I bought a Savage LRH in .308 Winchester
    The good news: It shoots several 150/155 grain bullets (Interbond, Berger, Lapua, Nosler and Sierra) into groups of .5" to .6" at 100 yards. It shoots 125 Speer TNT's into .25"!

The bad news: I found that the barrel touches the Accu-stock on the left side about 2" from the end. I took the action out and it looks fine but when I put it back and tighten the front action screw the tang sticks out above the stock at the back about 1/4 to 3/8 inch. The barrel touches even more. If I tighten the rear screw first it seats like it did from the factory.

Do I call Savage and send it back (the web site and catalog says this is free floated)? It is a "shooter" but it is also not right?

Hmm... You have a rifle that shoots .25 and .5 and you wanna send it back?

Send it to me... I'll shoot every deer in the Eyeball and save my self the hassle of accurizing mine..

On a serious note, there are a few rifles that end up a bit skewed with the accu-stock.. mine is also not straight but it shoots really well... The tang issue.. unless its a real issue like safety or you just really dont like the look or feel.... Mind you, they should be able to re-stock it and it should shoot good.

rattfink
    Post a picture of where its touching so we can all duplicate your results.

thomae
    No, you don't need to send it back, however when you put the rifle back into the accustock, you should not tighten either action screw fully. There is a sequence listed that is not very complicated. It's post number 5 in this thread: http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...custock+torque

Be advised if your accustock is not one of the earlier ones, it will only have two action screws. So you can ignore anything about the third screw or the wedge.

As for your tang, later on in the same thread, someone else has the same issue as you. The tang is meant to be free floated and on most Savage 10/110 and variants, the tang should sit somewhat proud of the stock, not flush.

I hope this helps.

Basic Member
    My varminter with the accustock was like that too. A bit of sanding on the stock and no worries. The tang on both my rifles are just above the stock, just the way I figured they are they need to float.