Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Savage 111 Stock

ycastane

I know you guys are trying to be helpful and i appreciate the fact you guys are taking time to help me with this. Im just trying to explain this as best as possible. Ive shot that rifle with that scope before, once i got the AR i transferes it to the ar and used it there, now transfering it back to its owner the 30.06. Hopefully i dont come off as defensive since im not trying to be, just trying to answer whatever you guys ask so you can understand and better help me with this issue.

Basic Member
    No problem Buddy! We are all "here for you"! And we are trying to keep you from " feeling any pain"! I am in Key West, in the "Conch Republic" and would love to "zip up there" and help you out, but it's 160miles, and I would have to "leave my homeland" and enter the "foreign country" of Miami ! To those not up on the history of the "Conch Republic", that is "tongue in cheek", sorta :) ! I"m sure we can help you solve this online.

1. I don't believe you need to shorten your L O P .
    2. I believe, as pictured in your post, as mentioned above, that scope is positioned way too close to your eye, "NOT" too far away.
    3. I believe you can mount that scope with "Low" rings, certainly with medium rings, to make it look more like the set up in the "Dave muzz" picture. I think this will solve your problem. Don't get frustrated :) and Best of Luck....Jim

ycastane
    Thanks Jim!! Appreciate the help. Heard from my mom this weekend there was some sort of lobster fest? **** i wish i'd had know lol!! What other food fest do you guys throw out there? Dont mind the drive for some good ol fresh seafood

Basic Member
    Yep! Lobster Fest is a celebration of the beginning of lobster season. So just drive down Rt.1, past Florida City and you've got 130 miles of the best sea food anywhere! There's alway's something going on, and it's always listed on Florida Keys.com! As the license plate says: "The Party Never Ends" :) !

davemuzz
    ycastane....First: Yes, we are all honestly trying to help you, so don't get frustrated. Second: Whatever you do....don't try to shoot any Lobsters with a 30-06!! I know those claws are tough to crack.....but there are better ways!!

Dave

Speedrat1
    I'd agree with Thomae - you've mounted the scope a full 2 inches further back than I do for myself (11-11.5") and still you think it needs to be further back....... nope unless this is really for someone about 5' and 95lbs dripping wet - people vary but not that much. I'm thinking the rings are so high on that style stock your cheek is not even close to being firmly planted on the stock. By raising your cheek/head up off the stock it would naturally bring your head back, compounding the problem.

Ycastane- Just a thought here; since we cant get to you, or vice versa, in person, it might help for you to mount the gun in your normal / favored shooting position, and have someone take pics of you in your "fire ready position". Of course, double / triple check the gun is unloaded. If you don't have a person to take the pics you can probably set the camera up and use the delayed shutter release.

We all want to help, you and each other. I can testify that I've NEVER been on a friendlier or more helpful board! Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

ycastane
    I just reinstalled the original tings it had, did the eyes closed thing and brought the scope back until i see full picture, this is at 3x rather than 9 and if im not there im like 1/16" away lol, thats at 3x when i increse magnification the full picture goes out the window. The rear ring its at its max and its hitting turret so it cant move any further, at least back! I'll post a photo in a few.

ycastane
    Yeah im going to take a couple photos of how is mounted and i'll also have my mom or dad take the photo since they are home i believe. Im right handed ao i guess photo ahould be taken from my right side!?

Basic Member
    Uh, Dave...."Spinney Lobster" ! ! .... "No Claws ! a 243 will be adequate ! :-)

ycastane
    No 243 just a tickle stick or a rig to pierce them and thats it and lots and lots a butta

davemuzz

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ycastane View Post
    No 243 just a tickle stick or a rig to pierce them and thats it and lots and lots a butta
    Just waiting for your pics. Also glad to know your not pounding on those sea creatures with a 30-06!!

thomae
    I just reinstalled the original tings it had, did the eyes closed thing and brought the scope back until i see full picture, this is at 3x rather than 9 and if im not there im like 1/16" away lol, thats at 3x when i increse magnification the full picture goes out the window. The rear ring its at its max and its hitting turret so it cant move any further, at least back! I'll post a photo in a few.
    That makes sense as you have greater eye relief at low powers than at high powers. However, I would still love to see a photo of you with your rifle in firing position.

Yeah im going to take a couple photos of how is mounted and i'll also have my mom or dad take the photo since they are home i believe. Im right handed ao i guess photo ahould be taken from my right side!?
    Once you have the gun mounted and your cheek weld and eye relief I'd have someone take pictures "on plane"- that is adjacent to- your head / shoulder /arm, from the right and left sides, and also the front. That'll give the helpful folks here a good idea of whats going on.

Again- I know its common sense and I'm not being disparaging, but triple check the gun is unloaded. Even an experienced person can sometimes make an error while concentrating on another aspect of gunnery.

Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

ycastane
    Checked them and triple check them, except my 9mm shield, nothing else is loaded, specially hunting rigs. Parents arent home by the time i got home but i will post the photos later once they get here. Thanks for the help gents! Much appreciated.

ycastane
    Okay so here is some laughing material LOL. Here are the photos from the right, left and front. Also the scope is mounted with those rings temporarily but at 3x where the scope is that is where i have a clear picture, if i push it forward that picture is gone, keep in mind this is based on the way i am holding the rifle, leaning my head, cheek weld, etc which could be wrong, somehow i dont think half this forum is wrong and i might be right so there must be something wrong with the form unless..............

Anyways here are the photos......

Mach2
    Looking at the pics and comparing to my 30-06 with a 3.5-10-50 scope it seems your scope is too far back. Slide it forward almost as far as the rings allow.

ycastane
    Really? This is a 3-9x40 but pushing it forward makes the circle instead ot large very small and fuzzy, just the same as if i magnify to 9x. Now im totally lost!! I need something to read on this to see what the hell am i doing wrong!!! Do you guys have a site or something that would guide someone through this process? I'll research tomorrow on google and aee if i can find something, perhaps i have it all wrong, i dont know anymore to be totally honest. Now im conpletely confused lol.

pitsnipe
    ycastane,
    Thank you for the pics. You are not "square with the gun. Look at your shoulders in those pics. They aren't at a 90 degree (or ever so slightly less) to the weapon. You are angled too far back. Your head is too far back on the stock. At that position it is impossible to get a complete sight picture. Remember, you want to establish scope position at the HIGHEST not lowest power. The height of the scope looks great. Your "weld" with the "old" rings had to be on your chin. Square yourself up with the weapon. Try setting up in a prone position. Your shoulders will take on a "natural" 90 degree (or very close to it) angle to the weapon and you will then see AND feel the difference.
    Last edited by pitsnipe; 08-14-2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: typo

ycastane
    Thanks Pit! I'll try that!

Mach2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW1LZKJmtbw

Here's a stance on the AR since you like ARs but you use the same stance on your Savage.

Mach2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9VTMzCiZtE

This youtube discusses the black ring around the image that you are getting.
    Also notice how far his scope is forward in the rings.
    Last edited by Mach2; 08-14-2013 at 02:52 PM.

ycastane
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach2 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW1LZKJmtbw

Here's a stance on the AR since you like ARs but you use the same stance on your Savage.
    Jerry is good. Thanks Mach i will try this later today for sure.

ycastane
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach2 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9VTMzCiZtE

This youtube discusses the black ring around the image that you are getting.
    Also notice how far his scope is forward in the rings.
    Yes this is where i have the most issue because unless i bring it to far back i can see the black shadow. So now i'll concentrate on proper form.

Quick question, funny one but here it goes. Do you think muscle mass has anything to do with this issue, im not saying 100% but i have big shoulders and chest, therefor i think the rifle is pushed away more than the average Joe, thank the gym for this one. Just curious, the way i see it is like having a thicker recoil pad LOL.

davemuzz
    Mach2 linked you to some good video's to watch and study. Just an observation of looking at your pictures is your head\cheek is too far back on the stock. I'm sure that's because your scope is mounted too far back. Also, if you study the second link, you can see how tight the shooter is holding his face against the cheek weld....and where his nose is almost flush against the top of the stock. That's where you need to be.

Dave

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast