Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How To Fit More Powder Into A Case

Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    I too really like PPU rifle brass--and their rifle ammo is a bargain for the price and quality IMHO. However, I recently bought some of their 380 auto FMJ ammo and it's the some of the worst stuff I've ever shot--I don't think their rifle quality carries over into their pistol stuff unfortunately.
    I use to be able to buy that ammo so cheap, that I would buy it to pull it apart.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Nandy
    so is there one thread that contains all of Scope Eye reloading secrets and tips or is it all spread in this reloading forum? I always like to read other reloaders procedures and such. It helps improve one reloading process. My problem is not having ES and SD numbers....

Quote Originally Posted by Nandy View Post
    so is there one thread that contains all of Scope Eye reloading secrets and tips or is it all spread in this reloading forum? I always like to read other reloaders procedures and such. It helps improve one reloading process. My problem is not having ES and SD numbers....
    It's not just all over the reloading forum, it's all over the forum in general, so if you have any questions feel free to PM me, or just start a new posting, never to busy for a fellow shooter especially a forum member.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    A vibratory tumbler can be used as well.
    I didn't see it on here yet, but there was a story a few years ago about some guy in europe who put his loaded 44mag rounds into a tumbler to polish them up. The tumbler made the powder into finer pieces, which overpressurized the gun and blew it up. Fact or fiction, I don't know, but I would think the factory makes the kernels, sticks, and flakes a certain size for the intended burn rate.

http://yarchive.net/gun/ammo/tumble.html
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

thomae
    Rich...Good point.
    I didn't mean to suggest that anyone place their loaded rounds into a tumbler, although there are some who insist on doing just that.
    From a safety perspective, I don't think I would do that.

I am Guilty of it, there is some running as we speak, hey what can I say, I like my Bling Bling, I even add wax to the tumbler, and that makes them real shiny, plus the slickness of the case eases they extraction when running those nuclear fusion hot loads.

Spanky jr
    Last edited by scope eye; 09-05-2013 at 06:22 AM. Reason: spellink

stangfish
    Oh great, now the cases don't hold in the chamber and the bolt lugs are holding ALL the presure. Can you say BOLT EYE.

Morning Buddy!

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Yeah but, just think of how nice & shiny they'll look glistening in the sun...

Happy Thursday, Gents.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Folks always do comment on them, and ask me how to achieve the same results, when I tell them, it becomes a deal breaker, just like when folks ask me "I would love to achieve the speed you do" when I tell them how apparently that's a deal breaker also, I have had folks ask me several times the same thing, did you actually think I was going to say something else or have a different answer, go away and don't bother me any more, Fish I am sure I have plenty of chamber "grip", and I don't have to worry about bolt thrust, I can tell by how bloated they cases are when I full length size them after every firing.

Spanky jr
    Last edited by scope eye; 09-05-2013 at 08:20 AM. Reason: spellink

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    I spin my cases in the drill & clean them with a little 0000 steel wool. There was a time I concerned myself with the cleanliness / shininess of the cases.
    Now, I'm happy if I can see the target. Sometimes I can even HIT it.....

By the way Dean, you're not concerned with higher pressures being hard on the brass and / or rifle?
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post

By the way Dean, you're not concerned with higher pressures being hard on the brass and / or rifle?
    No I am not very concerned, since I have never seen any I'll effects on my rifle, whether it be they barrel or they action, I could not allow myself to do that, as far as the brass goes lets just say, I don't get they amount of cycles I could get, if I wasn't so enthusiastic or generous with my powder portions, lets just say the brass takes one for the team, I equate it to when I use to build High performance racing engines,
    I would say to my clients do you want an engine that will last all season, or do you want to win races.

Spanky jr

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Oh great, now the cases don't hold in the chamber and the bolt lugs are holding ALL the presure. Can you say BOLT EYE.

Morning Buddy!
    This issue of Handloader Magazine addresses this issue. I was pretty surprised to read that the bolt face gets quite a bit less pressure according to that article. Good read this issue.. and I have tumbled loaded ammo to get the lube off of it. I left some in overnight by accident once, disassembled it and looked at the powder and didn't see any degradation of the powder grains. Had an encore in that caliber and shot it without any problems. Blitzfike
    NRA Endowment Member

I tried they tumbler approach, but I guess my work bench is over built, that and the new tumblers are quieter, although I think my old one caused a crack in the foundation, but this morning I did manage to fit 33gr of H335 in a 223AI case and still seat a 40gr Vmax, with this method,COOL

Spanky

Basic Member
    OK Dean, let's talk about accuracy, as it relates to this screaming velocity. Do you always get better accuracy using your methods, or just better terminal performance? Thanks ....... Jim

Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    OK Dean, let's talk about accuracy, as it relates to this screaming velocity. Do you always get better accuracy using your methods, or just better terminal performance? Thanks ....... Jim
    How can I put this, OK if you are punching paper at 100 yards you could probably tighten up the groups a bit, but where my loads really shine is 200 to 600 yards, where the time of flight is so short that there is almost no chance and time for the bullet to deflect from it's path, a bullet that is dropping in it's flight is not a bullet that is "charging" in it's flight, like I always say a bullet that spends less time in the wind, will be less affected by the wind, I don't punch paper I am not good at it, and have no qualms about it, although I am really good at getting a shot off within a second or two, none of that breathing, repositioning, getting comfortable, back and forth and trying to get the scope perfect focus all that stuff, and when I shoot, I shoot at things and when I do I never have to stop and think about how I am going to go about taking that shot as far as windage, elevation, whatever, I have missed shots, but it's just that I missed, I have never said to myself if only my groupings would have been tighter, I would have got it, my way of loading is more accurate than I will ever be, I know that from other shooters that have tried my loads in my rigs and in there's, and that they all agree that there is something to my approach, but are to set in there ways to change, hope this helps and clears things up a bit anyway.

Dean

Basic Member
    Thanks Dean. The only reason I shoot paper is to be ready and confident when I put the cross hairs on my next buck. When that time comes, I don't consider anything else, put the cross hairs on the vitals, know that is were the boolit will hit, and touch it off. Because of prior preparation, that's been working for a lot of years. The next month or so, I will get the opportunity to try some of your methods. Of course I will work up slowly, but it will be interesting. I think it could be just the thing to get some of the boat tails I have, grouping better.
    Thanks again ...... Jim

My pleasure Jim, I tell you I don't know why, but I can't seem to keep my concentration long enough to put 3 holes in a piece of paper, but I tell you if I sweep across a varmint or some other target, as soon as it hits the crosshairs it's just a natural reaction I pull the trigger, I never sweep back and forth or up and down that is when you really start wondering, when me and my buddies are squirrel hunting, and when he starts running and tapping trees, and everyone has there rifles down, waiting to see where he will stop, that's where I come in and get him in on the fly, then that's when the belly aching starts, "hey that one was suppose to be mine" well it didn't look like you were after him just watching him get away. Tough

Dean

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12