Thread: New 6.5x284 Long Range Hunter wont group!

Willifish

New 6.5x284 Long Range Hunter wont group!

Three weeks ago I purchased a 6.5x284 Long range hunter and have been trying to make it shoot. It seems to be a pretty consistent 2.5-4"shooter at 100yds with 140 Berger VLD's I have tried reloader 22, reloader 19,vit n160 and IMR4831 at velocities from 2750-2930 I have tried seating depths from .010" off lands to 100" off lands. I have also tried Nosler 120 ballistic tips with Re 19 and vit N160 At .010" and .030" at 3050 they shot slightly better 1.5-3"@100. Rifle has Burris 4.5-14 C4 I have checked barrel float it was touching slightly at tip of stock so I opened it up a little, checked tang float that seems fine. I have checked scope mounting, screws are tight I lapped the Warne rings. They are straight I took the Accustock off I cant see anything wrong and re torqued the 2 screws to 40 in-lbs. I went through a break in process of cleaning and copper removal every three shots then every 10 for about 40 more shots I am now at about 110 rounds and have not cleaned for the last 30 to see if that might make it shoot better. so far nothing I have tried has changed it a whole lot. I don't believe its me or the bench at the same time over the same bench I shot my 270 WSM cheep Winchester into groups of .75-1" using Berger VLD's. This is my first modern Savage and I was really hoping to get something that would out shoot my 270. Asking for opinions and tips about what I should try next, should I call Savage and see about sending it back or buy an aftermarket barrel? Or I missing something on the gun itself. Thanks for any advice

Basic Member
    Sounds like you have checked everything but the scope
    Do you have another one you could switch and try?
    Also the older accustocks had a torque sequence for the action screws that was a problem if not followed
    I am not sure if the newer models still require that
    If you have the manual that came with the gun it should be covered in it
    If you do not get it shooting to your expectations, I would call Savage, they will probably want you to send them the rifle, but it will come back a shooter (in my experiences with them)
    I am sure others will help out with suggestions
    Good luck
    Jack

Willifish
    Your right its a brand new scope and its possible its bad I will swap it out with another tonight, another thing I noticed when I push or pull a brush through the bore it sounds like it has very fine threads in it ( best description I can come up with) Is this normal? Like I said my first savage bolt action centerfire.

Basic Member
    Yes! Check that scope! But, when I put my 260Rem together, I wanted to shoot 140grn Berger VLD Hunting boolits, I guess because "they are just sooo sexy":) But I have yet to be able to get the Bergers to group as well as Rem 140grn PSP's? The Berger group "starts" to tighten up at 300yds, the max range I can shoot. I have learned if I want to insure small groups at less than 200yds, I shoot a "flat base" boolit. Often those fancy boat tails take a while to "settle down". Also, it could be that your barrel just doesn't like VLD's? If you try everything suggested, pluss other loads and boolits and it doesn't get any better, I would call savage and see what they say. But, all of my stock Savage barrels are sitting in a corner of the closet anyway, so you may want to just save time and get a really good barrel now:)! Good Luck...Jim

davemuzz
    When you tighten your receiver screws....First: just "snug" your screws up so the receiver can still move, yet not "slop" about. Second: Hold the rifle straight up so the muzzle is pointed at the sky and give it a few light bumps to ensure the recoil lug is seated agains the stock. Third: ALWAYS tighten the front screw first, and tighten the screws to 40-in\lbs. You can go to 60-in\lbs but higher is not recommended.

Some barrels don't like the Berger bullets. I have one 6.5 that love's 'em, and one that hate's 'em. The one that hate's 'em loves the Hornady 129 SST's. Go figure.

Make sure (double check) that your barrel isn't touching the stock after it gets hot. Remember...."no touching" is always a good rule when it comes to rifle barrels and with boys and your daughter.

Dave

Mach2
    Even storebought ammo should group better than that. I'd say it's either the bullet choice or muzzle crown.

FWIW, I have two rifles that will only shoot Lapua Scenars. I have tried every other bullet made.

JMO
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Man I hope the factory 260 Rem barrel I sent to www.apachegunworks.com for a rechamber to 6.5x284 isn't going to be as picky as the 6.5's y'all have. I have faith in Jim's work, but sounds like there's some picky 6.5's floating around out there.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Willifish
    Thanks for the tips! this rifle will be used for elk hunting and I am pretty picky about what bullets I use so maybe my best bet is an aftermarket barrel. Thanks again

The rifle usually likes bullets in the 140 grn range, avg speeds around 2,900fps. It's seems you have tried several. Not too many options left to try. I just shot a 6.5x284 with factory Corbon ammo. The 4 shot group was less than .200, almost one hole @ 100 yds. I wish I could think of something for you.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]