Thread: Sighting in Barrel heat

Basic Member

Question Sighting in Barrel heat

Hey,

So a quick question: When you guys sight in, how many rounds do you fire before you let it rest? groups of 3? single?

I have a new model 11 in .308 that I am going to sight in this week (glass is Leupold VX2 3-9x40 with Warne Rings) and I was wanting to get an idea as to how hot you guys let them get. I have had problems sighting in rifles in the past (shooting 3 shot strings) and having the zero wander when cooled to ambient temperatures. This happened really badly with a remington 700adl in 243. When cooled the rifle would shoot 8"high and 3"left then walk in to zero when warmed up again. I sold it. I am looking for something to be fairly consistent between cold bore and 3rd shot (I am willing to accept 2" groups of 3 shots). Any tips or suggestions?

--Sageratslayer

Basic Member
    Since you are looking for consistent shots for 3 rounds, that is what I would shoot
    I normally shoot 3 and then let it cool with about 30 secs to 1 minute between the 3 shots (sporter barrels)
    Jack

stangfish
    In my opinion it can depend on the barrel material, diameter and the cartridge.

Basic Member
    Its a sporter barrel .308.

What sort of variation do you experience with the barrel from cold bore to the 3rd shot? Should groups be within the 1-2" range, or will it start to open up by the 2nd shot? My only other sight in experiences with a savages have been: 1.) a sporter 110E in 30-06 that held 5 corelokts in a 1.5 inch group as fast as I could leaf them off and 2.) a 12fv in 223 that shoots boring .5 and .4 groups all day no matter how warm I get it.

Are my experiences with wandering zero due more to scope problems ( I had a buckmasters on the 243 that went back to the dealer because of zero wander) or due to barrel heat?

--SRS

I typically shoot 5 shot strings in cartridges up to 7 mag. Shoot 5 and then let it cool. Never had any issues at all with cold bore zeros or wandering.

5 shots as well here.
    Ive never had an issue with "zero wondering"?.......nor cold bore shots.
    If anything?......IMHO......its the load thats wondering
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Mach2
    Sporter barrel deer rifles are designed to shoot cold.
    If it burns your hand it's too hot.

Basic Member
    I got a good deal on some .308 ammo here in Oregon... 2 boxes of factory Remington ultra bonded for $38.00. Tomorrow morning I'll hit the range before it gets to 99 degrees.

I never got my barrels hotter than I could hold my hand on for a long period of time, which brings the question: how hot is too hot? Should I shoot 1 then wait a half an hour?

I'm beginning to suspect my old scope (the only commonality between my previous .243 follies) is the issue. I will send it back to Nikon, and hope that the Leupold VX2 works better on the new .308.

I'll keep you updated.

--SRS