Thread: My Plain Jane Beat-Around Reliable Good Ol Huntin Rifle Upgrade Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

My Plain Jane Beat-Around Reliable Good Ol Huntin Rifle Upgrade Build

I received my .270 Savage 111 Pre-Accu Trigger as a gift from my father in 1999 when I was 13 years old. I've killed a bunch of mule deer with it and am getting set for my first elk hunt this fall. Unfortunately, I had a bad squib load while sighting it in for the elk loads and never did get the darn bullet out of there, but likely jacked the barrel up pretty bad in the process (here's the whole story: http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...!-Stuck-Bullet!). This will be the only mention of the stuck bullet incident, as that is now behind me and I don't want that bad mojo seeping into this happy joy joy thread.

While this rifle has always "got the job done," I have had my dislikes about it. The stock is so flimsy that you can actually see the forearm move around when you grab it. I had problems with the bolt not picking up the next round from the magazine, even when I was sure to cycle the bolt all the way to the rear. It had a crappy trigger. I upgraded the scope from the one that came with it, but didn't upgrade the rings and they looked like they were slipping a little. Finally, I was all set to hunt elk with Barnes 150gr TSX .270 rounds, but knew this was on the small end of the scale for elk calibers, so I would have felt more comfortable with a larger caliber.

A couple years ago the Timney triggers were on sale, so I bought one of those and took care of the crappy trigger problem. Now it's time to take care of the other dislikes I've had with the rifle. I wanted to keep it looking as close as possible to the original rifle as possible, since it does carry some sentimental value with it being a gift from my dad and all the deer I've killed with it. I also wanted to keep it relatively light since I hump this thing up and down a lot of mountains and canyons. I always liked that I could sling this rifle over my shoulder and climb up and down the canyons without having to worry about it getting dinged up, so my final objective was to keep it low maintenance and very durable.

Before:
    *Edit: It weighed in at 8.2lbs.

Only current upgrades are the Nikon 4.5-14x40 Buckmaster BDC (My FAVORITE scope- love this thing) and Timney trigger.

Stock rings were slipping a little:

Here is a list of parts in the mail that I cannot wait to put together:
    -Factory Sporter contour 30-06 blued barrel 22" and barrel wrench (going to use the original nut and lug)
    -B&C Medalist Classic Stock- Black with Checkering
    -Internal magazine, follower, and spring
    -Talley Lightweight Two Piece bases with Integrated 1" Rings for FLAT rear receiver (screwed this up the first time)- Matte Low
    -Metal Trigger Guard
    -Matte Black Duracoat DIY non-bake kit
    Edit* -NSS competition barrel nut and recoil lug

I plan to update this thread all the way through this season's deer and elk hunt. Stay tuned!
    Last edited by Chrazy-Chris; 08-11-2013 at 04:03 PM.