Thread: My new .17 WSM B Mag and several new scopes.......

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    n4ue

My new .17 WSM B Mag and several new scopes.......

I got my new B Mag the other day. In anticipation of it's arrival, I purchased a new Weaver Kaspa 4-16X44mm scope. (Made in China)
    I am a 'sucker' for cheap scopes and now own over 30 different scopes. From el-cheapo NcStar, to some high end, although no S&B, NF, etc. I HAVE looked through the $1K+ Lupys, Ziess, etc.
    Anyway, I THOUGHT that the $150 Weaver would be OK. I was wrong. It's out of the box feel was pretty cheap. Trying to use it at my private range, was pretty tough. At max power, the eye box was very difficult to use. Unless you were in a very, very specific spot, it simply blacked out.

So today, my new Redfield Revenge 6-8X44mm scope arrived. (Made in the Philippines) OK, it's $270 but it's a WHOLE lot better. Although I have not yet fired the rifle, it is mounted and I'm really happy with the fit/finish, etc.
    I was a little concerned with the clearance of the bolt handle since the ocular lens of the Redfield is quite a bit bigger than the Weaver.
    No problem. Clears the bolt perfectly.

I'm using the stock Savage bases and UTG rings. I have had excellent service from the UTG rings and have them on many of my rifles in both 1" and 30mm. Lots of different heights also.

As a matter of reference, I have several co-workers who hunt, shoot, etc. Every once in a while, I bring a 1/2 dozen of my spare scopes to work and we do a side by side comparison on a series of targets. One day, I brought in a brand new Nikon Monarch 4-16X42mm scope. No one liked it (including me) so it went back the next day. One scope that was actually preferred, was a $70 CenterPoint from WalMart! There was nothing 'wrong' with the Nikon. It just felt cheap, and for it's price, was a huge disappointment.
    OK, this was NOT a cloudy, overcast day at 1/2 hour after sunset. It was a bright, sunny mid-day here in Florida.

I have several Vortex Vipers and love those as well as some 30mm Millett TRS-1s and LRS-1s.

Just my opinions..... Flame suit on....

ron

ron

Peestick
    I'm thinking of putting a revenge 6-18 on my bmag and was wondering what size rings to use. I heard some people say the bolt will hit if the scope sits too low. Any advice anyone can give would be appreciated.

n4ue
    Hi. I just looked at my B Mag. and measured from the top of the base to the bottom of the scope. It's exactly 10 MM. If you go on ePay, you will find lots of sellers selling rings with this distance. I have many, many sets of UTG rings (4 and 6 screw/ring models) and every one has aligned perfectly and in fact, I like them SO much, I have a set on each of my inventory of spare scopes, with different height models for the 56mm scopes. I can swap scopes (I do this a LOT) and have never had to re-zero. I don't plink / target shoot with anything larger than a 7mm-08, so I don't know how they would hold up on a .50 Cal Barrett.....
    The bolt, it it's up position, (without being touched) will clear the eye piece of the Redfield by about 3/16". If you get 'excited' and push the handle up as you are pulling it back, it just barely kisses the scope. The Revenge has a rather large eyepiece and the bolt handle WILL hit the scope cap, but that's a non-issue for me. This places the objective about 3/16" from the bbl. I always try to get my scopes as low as possible. The front scope cover fits fine.

BTW, this scope is a PERFECT match for this rifle (IMHO)... ha ha

ron

Peestick
    Thanks Ron. I was thinking of getting some Warne or talley rings but ill have to be sure to find something no less than 10mm. I appreciate the response and will post up on my review of the rifle and scope when I pick it up next week.

davemuzz
    Anything more than 4X is overkill. I have a 1-4X Millet with a lighted reticle on my .17 Hornet (night hunting for fox) and get sub-moa performance out to 200 yards with that glass. I dunno what your shooting with 16X with any .17 caliber....but I've got to believe your shooting the wrong game.....or you have convinced yourself the guy selling you is a "X-pert."

Dave

n4ue
    Well Dave, that's your opinion and you know what they say about opinions.......
    I have 32 scopes. 17 of which are mounted on bolt action rifles. Powers range from 4X to 32X. I use them all the time at my private range.
    If you can see .17 holes with a 4X scope at 200 yards.....aw, never mind.

ron

davemuzz
    No. I can't see 'em thru my scope. That's why I have a 20-60X spotting scope for.

Peestick
    I plan on using mine for hunting ground squirrels up to 250yds. Those suckers are the size of fleas at that range, I need all the help I can get.

jookUpVandetti
    "Anything more than 4X is overkill." Is that a joke?

davemuzz
    Quote Originally Posted by jookUpVandetti View Post
    "Anything more than 4X is overkill." Is that a joke?
    For me, it would be overkill. However, I hunt in Pennsylvania where a shot on any game over 200 yards is not often. I have to search far find a place to shoot groundhogs at 800 yards and those places are rare. If you are grey squirrel hunting, shots are usually within 40 yards and it isn't tough to hunt with a Ruger single six.

So, no....it's not a joke where I live.