Thread: Installing a bolt lift kit

Basic Member

Installing a bolt lift kit

Hello all... I'm a Savage noob and I am really loving my 10 FCP HS that I have Frankenrifled from a 308 to a 6.5x47 Lapua. I find the bolt lift distracting in that I have to use one hand to hold the rifle and another to cycle the action. A big deal? No. But it does break my hold for each shot.

I'd like to install a lift kit from Stockade, but I am wondering if shortening the bolt assembly screw is REQUIRED as opposed to RECOMMENDED?

Also, if I must shorten the BAS, is there a preferred method for this? I don't have a bench grinder and I'm thinking it would take forever to file it down. Thoughts?

Thanks for reading!

thomae
    You can also use a spacer between the BAS and the bolt body instead of shortening the BAS. Functionally, it does the same thing.
    I made one out of aluminum, which is much easier to file than steel. I have the advantage of a mini-lathe, but if you have access to or a friend who works in a machine shop, it should not be too difficult or too expensive.

Basic Member
    No machine shop access either. I guess maybe try to find a washer that will work.

it is recommended to shorten it by about the thickness of the lift kit, which is usually about .100".

It doesnt have to be shortened, but can be counter productive because you would be adding spring pressure.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by pdog06 View Post
    it is recommended to shorten it by about the thickness of the lift kit, which is usually about .100".

It doesnt have to be shortened, but can be counter productive because you would be adding spring pressure.
    +1

I was able to find a washer that matched the bolt lift thickness to within a few thou.

I also made my bolt lift kits from a few 357 cases that I found at the shooting range and some BB's that I stole from my daughter's Pink Rider BB gun.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

nicholas306
    I just had a machine shop make me a spacer. I used some calipers to measure, and told them exactly what I wanted. I can't remember the exact measurements, but it worked great.