Thread: rotary magazine removal

silverbak

rotary magazine removal

OK!!!! still couldn't find any info on taking the rotary magazine out. After timing the mag I thought shouldn't be difficult. My carrier is all one unit and my ejector is the one with the spring not the one that acts like a carrier spindle support. I took mine apart last night no fuss no muss. I wasn't difficult at all. I dis assemble the carrier assembly cleaned it and put it back with no issues. It really wasn't that much of a problem. I guess from everything I have read, I should be glad mine is the Economy model. oh yeah made my own spanner type screw drive. I just filed a section out of the center with small round file. It took about a minute.

Basic Member
    COOL, take any pics ?

silverbak
    no I didn't think to but I will try within the next couple of days. do you by any chance know how to remove the front base? I want to thread the barrel for the PWS precision rifle comp. I will have to remove the front sight base and move it back or get a dove tail milled for a different set of sight. I have been thinking lyman globe front and a skinner rear.

Basic Member

RE: Savage

Quote Originally Posted by silverbak View Post
    no I didn't think to but I will try within the next couple of days. do you by any chance know how to remove the front base? I want to thread the barrel for the PWS precision rifle comp. I will have to remove the front sight base and move it back or get a dove tail milled for a different set of sight. I have been thinking lyman globe front and a skinner rear.
    Sorry, I don't. I have a 1946 version of the 99, but have little time to play with it. Mine was tapped for a scope and also has a Lyman rear site on it. I don't think it's ever been apart and I would like to do it one day. Take care.

silverbak
    Ok guys it took some time. this will come in parts as we are only allowed to post with 4 pics at a time. I hope it will help everyone dispel the myth. I hope to use proper parts terminology from Numrich. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact.../99E-34407.htm

First, of course safety check your weapon and remove both forearm and butt stock.

This shows the screw driver I made with a round file and cheap flat head. Screws are left hand so right=loose/left=tight. these are not under very tight pressure.

First loosen carrier spindle nut until you hear spring unload then continue until off. Next remove carrier spindle head screw (on left front top of receiver)once all threads are showing you can pull out. (this is used to time your spindle).

silverbak
    now with your lever open and bolt back push the carrier spindle out of the carrier spindle support forward.

close examination shows end of the carrier spring and how it needs to reside.

silverbak
    Hold on to the end of the spindle and turn the carrier spindle head to strip carrier assembly. Note: you may have to hold the end of the spindle with plyers (plastic, small piece of leather in jaws for protection) and turn the carrier spindle head (again reverse threads). don't strong arm as be sure of your direction ....take your time.... if not you may end up bending the ends of the carrier spring.

once head is free take notice of the hole on the bottom where the spring end fits into. pull the carrier spindle out and remove spring if you like.

clean and replace parts as necessary.

now re assembly:

Insert carrier spindle spring. again take note that the sping end in the groove of the carrier. NO need to insert past he end to see coils...just the spring end.

now insert the carrier spindle

silverbak
    now put the carrier spindle head on making sure the spring end goes in the hole and push into carrier. this will force the spindle to protrude out the other side. now you can screw the spindle into the head while keep it pushed against the carrier. remember reverse threads.

finger tight is fine you don't need to white knuckle it. now insert the carrier assembly into receiver and the carrier spindle end into the carrier spindle support.

silverbak
    Note the carrier position. The portion of the carrier is facing up and against the right side of the receiver. this is the only end on the carrier that looks like a long wedge.

now that its back in... its time to time the carrier. Screw the carrier spindle nut back on. Again reverse threads and it only needs to be finger tight.

insert the carrier spindle head screw in the receiver as far as it will go. don't put pressure once you meet some resistance. hold it there lightly as it needs to slide in once a series of notches get lined up.

now with your screw driver lightly turn the spindle one full turn . it is at this point you begin to put slight pressure on the head screw. move the spindle nut back and forth slightly (most likely a little tighter) and the head screw should slide in. now tighten the head screw and check to see if your rounds load with ease. Mine only requires one full turn your may need a 1/4 to 1/2 turn more. the carrier does not need to be super tight to function properly. Your mileage may vary.

Whew!!!!
    Last edited by silverbak; 08-22-2013 at 02:15 AM.

Basic Member
    WOW ! I have never seen anyone do a step by step this great , congrats and thank you very much for doing this for everyone ! It's going to make my life a hell of a lot easier !!

silverbak
    no worries. I wanted to provide something that I wish I could have had in the first place. Now I just need to find out how to take the extractor out. the pin is on the under side of the bolt and I don't see a way to tap it out. Must be some kind of wizardry or magic LOL. I hope this helps.
    I am also trying to figure out how to match rear and front sights.
    I have a marlin 39d that I want to put skinner peep on the rear and a lyman globe on the front.

Let me know if you have any info.

thanks again

Ctwilly49
    Great Post!! A Picture is worth 1000 Words! Wondered how this disassembly was done, but other Posts I have read have stated this is best left to Gun Smith? This would definatly fall into "Murpheys Law" Catagory for me!

silverbak
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctwilly49 View Post
    Great Post!! A Picture is worth 1000 Words! Wondered how this disassembly was done, but other Posts I have read have stated this is best left to Gun Smith? This would definatly fall into "Murpheys Law" Catagory for me!

I think they must have been referring to the other style of carrier spindle as this one was very simple.

Good enough for a sticky.
    Savage- "never say never".

silverbak
    I am honored Mad Dog

kydave
    From a 99 newbie:

It would be great if the OP could re-link those photos (they no longer show).

Since it is a "sticky" that would be nice.

thanks!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    Good enough for a sticky.

Not, respectfully, with the tutorial pics moved/deleted.........................

Is there another thread that has pictures for the removal of the rotary magazine?

Quote Originally Posted by tcassem View Post
    Is there another thread that has pictures for the removal of the rotary magazine?
    There's no specific into on the removal in this link but you basically remove one screw and then pull the carrier out. There are some photos of the disassembled carrier here.

https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...tary-mag-stuck