Thread: Waiting on new gun!

Nandy

Waiting on new gun!

On Monday I ordered my fist short action rigle, a 11 TH XP 22-250 with the Nikon package from Buds. It was shipped today and I am like a kid on Christmas week. I will be swapping the sporter barrel for another 22-250 barrel but this one is the varmit savage barrel still 12 twist. I will be ordering another 22-250 barrel on varmint contour and threaded by next year. Need a faster twist for deer hunting on 2014 and should have my suppressor by then... I will hunt with this gun this year and I will limit it to neck shots inside the 200 yds range (will probably not exceed the 150 yds in reality) and will be shooting probably something in the 55 grain. Will try to go heavier but these barrels dont seem to shoot those heavy bullets too well or so I have been told. However, since I will be using this rifle only in locations were the max shot will be inside the 200 yds I would settle with a heavier bullet as long as it is shooting at max right under an inch at 100 yds. I already have the Boyds thumbhole stock for it. Need to get the recoil lug and the trigger guard but that will be in a week or 2. Im bedding the other LA I have probably this weekend or next. No need to be overstepping on my projects.
    I will make a post in the reloading forum to hear what your similar rifles like.

C'mon UPS! hurry up!!! lol!

Basic Member
    What kind of deer are you shooting? I'm from Nebraska and I believe it is illegal to use a 22-250 for deer hunting (I like my 270). On the other hand, I spent some time in Georgia and saw some deer down there that made my labrador look like a giant.

Nandy
    It is not illegal to hunt with a 22-250 in SC. average doe is about 80 t0 90 lbs, bucks usually are 100 and larger. Get me any size deer/elk/moose or any north America game animal inside the 200 yds range and that 22-250 and it is dead (unless it is wearing kevlar in their neck). I love to hunt around your area someday.

Basic Member
    There's a bunch of guys here that I know that have killed 140-150 class white tails in Texas with .22-250 and 55g bullets and lung heart shot them and they were dead where they stood. There is just something about the 22-250 ballistics.

Basic Member
    Interesting.... what's your logic on taking a neck shot over a normal vital zone shot? I've hit a deer in the neck before with my .270 because I overcompensated for the wind, and it did drop him on the spot; however, I think this is because the 270 had enough energy transfer to send blood rushing to its brain and knock its lights out. Would a 22-250 have the same affect?

Basic Member
    yes it would . it is not the blood or the bullet size it is cuase the vertibrea in the neck being severed. hence broke neck nothing to controll movement to the rest of the body. just my .02. i have had good luck with my 22-250 and deer and 1 hog, all have been shot behind the shoulder none ran more than 100yds. i do believe it is more about shot placement over caliber.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Good luck with the new toy nandy. Don'tcha just love buying gun stuff? Especially new guns & accessories to go with it?
    Reading about all you guys getting new toys makes me want to buy something new.... And my says I'm allowed to.
    By the way, I have a friend here in the swamps of central Fla that drops big 'ol hogs with a 17hmr. Shot placement is the key. For me with my eyesight, the bigger the caliber, the better off I am. I've considered a grenade launcher so my shot placement covers more area.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Nandy
    The gun made it to the Charlotte distribution warehouse, im a mess, will not be able to sleep... Dang!!!!

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    I know its got to be killing you waiting for it. The week I got my first AK47 I thought I'd get arrested for loitering around the FFL's place.

And then when you finally get it & shoot it a few thousand times the newness wears off & its time to buy something new. Again.

By the way, do you have that set up for a Saturday delivery Or are you going to have to wait until Monday? Of course you know this weekend will be the longest you've EVER experienced.

Don't forget to put up a few pics when you get it tuned in.
    Sweet dreams, if you sleep that is.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Nandy
    He is a personal friend of a personal friend and deals guns from home so I should be able to get it tomorrow unless it gets somehow complicated for me at work. Nissan broke down today so I have to take care of that tomorrow morning... Will have photos asap.

jersurf101
    I am with you actually. I am waiting for a model 11 package in .308 that I ordered from my LGS. It has the acutrigger and the Nikon prostaff scope. I ordered it from my LGS and am waiting for it to ship from the factory.

Good luck with your 22-250 hunt. I have taken a few neck shots on white tails with the .270 and haven't been dissapointed.

Nandy
    I do neck shots every time I can. Less good meat damage, lights out, no tracking, makes gutting an easier job too...

Nandy
    Dang thing is "On Vehicle for Delivery Today" status since 5:28 am.... Im dying... LOL!

barber
    SOOOO... Did the delivery truck break down ???

LOL, Barber

Basic Member
    He is too busy working on the new gun!!

barber
    Yeahhh.. He doesn't have time for us common folks any more....

Barber

Nandy
    No, the truck did not break down but the ffl guy did not follow thru with his promise. He was supposed to call me as soon as it was delivered which he did not. Me trying not to be overly excited waited 90 min before calling him and asked him if I could pick the gun in my way for lunch since I work 3 miles from him. Then he tells me he is not there and he wouldn't be back until past 10 pm. I was not happy. Saturday was a no go for him and he said I could pick it up today. We shall see but because his little sense of urgency and not keeping up with what was promised you bet this is the first and last time I will be using him.
    I stayed at the office until 8:30 waiting so I could get the gun and I was planning on bedding the gun today together with the other gun I'm fixing to start in a bit so he wasted my time and put me behind my schedule so it is not just a matter that I did not get my gun quick.
    Last edited by Nandy; 08-11-2013 at 09:37 AM.

Mach2
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
    What kind of deer are you shooting? I'm from Nebraska and I believe it is illegal to use a 22-250 for deer hunting (I like my 270). On the other hand, I spent some time in Georgia and saw some deer down there that made my labrador look like a giant.
    In SC it is legal to use .223 on deer.

Nandy
    Got the gun but did not play much with it. Already started taking it apart. The barrel being stubborn. Funny thing is I can see a small gap between the the barrel nut and the lug. Anyway, letting it soak in penetrating oil and will try again tomorrow. Got done doing mostof the 110 action bedding. Waiting for it to dry so I can finish the bottom part.