Thread: savage 99e 308 newbie questions

silverbak

savage 99e 308 newbie questions

glad I found this forum now I can start working on my gun. I picked it up a while back for a decent price. its a beater and wil need a new stock in the future (rear stock has a repair job).

Ok first question is where is the stored info I read on an old post that only available for paid members?

2. I need info on how to disassemble the rotary mag and or adjust spring tension. I already searched through all posts in this section.
    3. schematics? anyone?
    4. need to find out how to remove extractor. mine is pinned under bolt. I have removed everything and cleaned it as best as possible so the extractor and mag were the only things I didn't try without some input.
    5. looking to date my savage:
    I have a "N" top left near barrel just before words "model 99e"----small letter "m" lever boss looks like there may have been an oval around it but only partial left-----
    left side of receiver lower frame "P","N","8","E"
    serial number 1017824
    6. looks like the only way to lighten the trigger is with a lighter striker spring or stone the sear?

ok I figured I have covered all my newbie questions
    Last edited by silverbak; 08-06-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Have a look at this and see if there is anything that may help...

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...3-Big-Smile-41

silverbak
    I saw where I may have a 61 or 62. I wonder how good the AGI videos are. I want to work on this gun and know it inside out, like I do on all the rest I have. I was hoping for a tech tips section that had answered most of these questions already.

silverbak
    well after much research I at least found this regarding timing of the rotary magazine. pretty easy no my rifle loads all five rounds without much trouble. I can still feel grit and grim after I sprayed the daylights out of it with CLP. no I just want to get the grim out of it.
    I think mine is a 61 or 62 build. thanks garyb!

Okay!!! that's one for me and one for GaryB. come on gang lets get some more people chiming in to help me out!!

like how do I get the rotary magazine spindle cleaner!

"Remove the screw from the left side of the receiver/front that intersects the magazine spool.

With the forend off so you can get at the front end of the magazine spool, wind up the spool under it's spring tension one complete turn.
    IIRC you need a 'spanner' type screw driver to do that. The screw in the center of the spool is turned to wind the spring tension up.

Holding it in that wound up position, re-insert the screw back into the receiver from the left side. It will have to intersect one of the 4 slots that are cut accross the edge of the spool to hold it in position and maintain the spring tension.

***Wind the spring tighter to the next slot if necessary and insert the screw and tighten it up. Do not release tension on the spring to 'find' one of the slots.
    You need at least one complete turn of the spring for the rotary mag to function correctly when fully loaded.

Release the spanner from the spool and the rotor should be backed up under spring tension against the shell stop in the action ready for loading and the counter should be indexing correctly. "

silverbak
    OK!!!! still couldn't find any info on taking the rotary magazine out. After timing the mag I thought shouldn't be difficult. My carrier is all one unit and my ejector is the one with the spring not the one that acts like a carrier spindle support. I took mine apart last night no fuss no muss. I wasn't difficult at all. I dis assemble the carrier assembly cleaned it and put it back with no issues. It really wasn't that much of a problem. I guess from everything I have read, I should be glad mine is the Economy model. oh yeah made my own spanner type screw driver. I just filed a section out of the center with small round file. It took about a minute.
    Last edited by silverbak; 08-08-2013 at 11:32 AM.