Thread: Just got my Tacticool boyds stock for my 93 22WMR ... need help with finishing

FancyFred

Just got my Tacticool boyds stock for my 93 22WMR ... need help with finishing

I am torn between doing a basic wood finishing job with Birchwood Casey stuff or going the route of painting it from a rattle can.

For paint wood stocks, I have no experience in this. Does it need to be treated/sealed first before coloring?

Is there a paint with texture that folks have had success with?

I'd like to get something with a slight texture and have this applied after getting a buddy of mine to bed it first.

Forest or foliage green is what I am after. Nothing too fancy, to be honest.

I am going to (later on) refinish the action and barrel with Alumihyde-II in flat black.

thomae
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/17011112?w...599990&veh=sem

Rustoleum makes a textured spray paint. It is available at most hardware stores.

Anytime I am painting wood, I would sand it and prime it to get a better protective layer prior to painting. Make sure you seal the inside of the barrel channel and the inletting so that moisture can't get in through those areas.

FancyFred
    What primer would you use on a wood stock? If I go the Rustoleum route, they recommend to do light coats first and then a final coat for best results.

I have some clean up work on the stock I want to do first, and bedding, then I will paint it with the forest green. Krylon also has a similar product, but, I have heard bad things about it.

thomae
    I'd simply look for a rattlecan primer that states that it works for wood. Surface preparation is the key.