Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incredibly Accurate Benchmark barrels

358Hammer

Incredibly Accurate Benchmark barrels

Benchmark Barrel 338WSM

[img width=600 height=450]http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk460/emeraldislandlover/BenchmarkUltralightbarrel.jpg[/img]

Here is an e-mail I sent to Benchmark barrels this morning. I sent one to Jim See as well as Jim installed the muscle brake on this teenie little 17" pencil barrel. AM I happy with my first benchmark barrel? This morning was kind of special as well as special ops security for the Air Station came in after me with their trailer full of shooting stuff and got to watch me shoot something they had never seen before. Could have sold several specialty pistols on the spot if I wanted. This 338WSM barrel is 6 oz lighter than the 338 Win Mag picture on the Youtube video. I would like to add that this is not a true 338WSM case. It holds slightly more powder.

Next project and all components were ordered ealier this week. "338 Edge" in the same barrel contour or as close to possible with pressure and safety in mind, but on a large shank Striker.

Neal
    Ron

Raining cats and dogs for the past 4 days. Left the house this morning determined to shoot regardless. No shelter at the range.
    Center diamond (#5) is the first target and is a five shot group. Other than targets 3 and 4 all were one shot clean and cool. 1,2,3,4 are three shot groups

Target one is 180gr Accubonds at

1. 3100fps.

Target two is the GS bullet made in South Africa 180 grain
    2. 3140fps Bore rider bullet.moly coated

Target three is the Barnes 185 grain MRX
    3. 3050fps

Target four is the 200Gr Accubond
    4. 2915 This one was about 1/2 grain to hot. No sticking but a slight copper smear on the base of the case.

Do to weather this by no means is an exhaustive test. I do know that the three groove barrel shot every load faster by 45-70fps over a previous barrel. These velocities sure sealed the deal for me on the three groove. Now If I could just get the dang thing to shoot we would be set to go.

Neal

358Hammer

Re: Incredibly Accurate Benchmark barrels

This morning I went out and shot at 100 and 200 yards.

Target number three is what my two shot group using the 185gr Barnes TSX looked like before the scope pictured went south.

Neal

SHL540KB308

Pretty neat, hats off to you guys that build these things. Some shooters at my range have similar arms and it is pretty impressive to see them outshoot some of the long guns @ 1000 yards. Personally I would never build one, but they sure are awesome. Good job!

Later, Brad

zedsdead

+1 on the Benchmark barrels. I have one in 204 and it shoots better than I can.

Jason

358Hammer

I can not believe that in 8 years of making barrels I did not know they made centerfire barrels. Have seen their rimfire barrels all over the record books.
    Their centerfire barrels set two world records so far this year and that is how I found out. Then it took a bit to find them as they do not advertise. Pretty cool that their barrels are not even close to the price of a Lilja or Broughton.
    I tried to clean that barrel during break in and there wasn't anything to clean!
    Neal

Benchmark Barrels
    Ron Sinnema, Barry Graber
    1105 Pioneer Hwy East
    Arlington, WA 98223
    phone: (360) 652-2594
    email: benchmarkbarrels [at] yahoo.com

Who will chamber and thread their barrels for Savage? Do they do it in house? Thanks

358Hammer

Generally speaking Savage makes a very fine barrel as factory run barrels go. It would be very awesome if they went the added mile and put these high quality barrels on their weapons.

I had what I would consider a factory Savage reject 338 barrel. I would not use it and in good conscience would not sell it. I sent the barrel to Ron at Benchmark to see if he could take the tool marks from the bore. I recieved a call from Ron the day he recieved the barrel. His minimum bore pin would not go through the bore.

He handlapped 95% of the tooling marks gone to where I could not longer see the marks with an 8X monoculer. He also put his special .0002 choke in the end of the barrel.

SO before it was so undersized and rough it was dangerous to shoot. I suspect it will now shoot extremely well. Note: This is not a typical Savage barrel! This one slipped through like can happen with any manufacturer.

Neal

Basic Member

I believe Kevin Rayhill uses benchmark barrels on his rifle builds. I may have to look at one down the road.

LongArm

i am thinking about ordering a 300wsm from them, just hard to find info on them.

358Hammer

AccurateShooter.com Bulletin
    February 16, 2008
    Benchmark Expands Centerfire Barrel Line
    Filed under: Gunsmithing, News — Editor @ 11 am
    Benchmark Barrels of Arlington, Washington has earned a stellar reputation for its rimfire barrels. Many of the most accurate rimfire BR rigs in the country sport Benchmark barrels. Benchmark pioneered the 2-groove barrel, and its reverse-taper blanks, in 2-groove, 3-groove, and 6-groove, are in high demand. Benchmark is known for the quality of its lapping work and its ability to craft a precise progressive taper (or “choke”) along the full length of the barrel. Typically, Benchmark’s rimfire barrels are hand-lapped with .0006-.0007? of internal bore taper. This is an even, slight reduction of bore diameter–not just a choke at the end.

Centerfire Barrel Production
    Benchmark offers a full range of centerfire calibers now, from .22 all the way up to .50 caliber. The three-groove, standard land, 8-twist 6mm barrel has been shooting exceptionally well, and Benchmark recently acquired new buttons so it can deliver 1:7? and 1:9? twists too. The 6.5mm barrels and 30 caliber barrels have been shooting very well also according to match reports. Benchmark can deliver both canted-land and conventional land versions of its centerfire barrels. Which shoots best? According to barrel-maker Ron Sinnema, “the 6mm 3-grooves with standard lands are working great. Bruce Baer tried one recently and said is was exceptionally accurate.” And for customers who prefer cut-rifled barrels, Benchmark now offers cut rifling in most bore sizes, from .22LR all the way up to rifled shotgun bores.

Great Value: $250.00 for a Premium Centerfire Barrel
    Benchmark barrels are attractively priced. A centerfire blank with 27.5? finished length costs just $250.00. Sinnema noted: “That’s our highest quality — we only sell one grade”. A variety of contours are available and (at added cost) Benchmark can provide fluting or an octagon barrel profile.

Rimfire barrels cost $325.00. They are more expensive because of the extra hand labor required. Ron explains: “The taper lapping is very time-consuming on the rimfire — but that’s one secret to their accuracy.”

Benchmark has a website “under construction”. For more info, contact Benchmark by phone, fax, or email:

Benchmark Barrels
    Ron Sinnema, Barry Graber
    1105 Pioneer Hwy East
    Arlington, WA 98223
    phone: (360) 652-2594
    email: benchmarkbarrels [at] yahoo.com

LongArm

nice article, i think i am going to order one today.

ICUDIEN

Anyone know if the $250 is for a blank or Prefit Savage?

ICUDIEN

Quote Originally Posted by ICUDIEN
    Anyone know if the $250 is for a blank or Prefit Savage?
    Nvm I just didn't read carefully :-[

fatrack

I just picked up a 30" stainless 338 RUM, crowned and threaded for a standard shank long action 110 from Benchmark. $395 and I picked it up two weeks after I ordered it. It will be a while before I find out what kind of shooter it is.

ICUDIEN

well that answered my next question which was going to be "how much is a prefit savage barrel?"

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515
    I believe Kevin Rayhill uses benchmark barrels on his rifle builds. I may have to look at one down the road.
    He does.

Dolomite

jo191145

Hold On Folks. I'm slower than most.

Does Benchmark offer Savage prefits or is a smith working up the blanks for you?

fatrack

Benchmark makes barrels but they also offer gunsmithing. At my request they chambered, crowned and threaded the barrel for my Savage.

jo191145

Thanks fatrack, Thats good info to know.

lukeyn

Quote Originally Posted by fatrack
    Benchmark makes barrels but they also offer gunsmithing. At my request they chambered, crowned and threaded the barrel for my Savage.
    I spoke with Benchmark and they stated a prefit barrel in stainless for a medium weight would run around 400$.

McKinneyMike

At approx. $100.00 over the cost of a Shilen pre-fit barrel, the Benchmark and Brux barrels, while I am sure they are quite good, will not reach the market share of the other well regarded pre-fit barrels. Hopefully they will lower their pricing soon, as I would love to have alternatives to what is currently available.

jo191145

If your looking for a standard SAAMI chamber,length,contour, small shank then a Shilen prefit is a good deal.

If your looking for something a little more exotic Benchmark does not jack up the cost for bells and whistles, so far anyway.
    Order to door is quoted as 6-8 weeks for a custom chamber, custom length, custom contour. Same price,$400
    Hoping the 6-8 weeks is accurate.

Shilen charged me over $500 just for the large shank option.
    Jim Briggs is getting us Sav owners a good deal for sure.

McKinneyMike

Thank you for the clarification on the pricing.

jo191145

Ya know Mike, I should'nt do any advertising for them untill I get my barrel back. Don't want them swamped in work ;D

fatrack

Two weeks delivery time for mine. I think thats hard to beat in for a custom barrel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast