Thread: Hornady Brass .17 Hornet once fired

JLShipley

Unhappy Hornady Brass .17 Hornet once fired

Just received E-Mail from Hornady Tech, I had asked some questions concerning the .17 Hornet once fired brass being reloaded, note problem's with primer pockets and that they are now stacking the primers until they run the reworked new brass in Aug/Sept, this what he wrote back...........

Quote:
    If you were to load the empty cases, you will not get the accuracy or life out of the cases. It is recommended at this time to use just factory ammunition for the time being.

I know we have reloaded some of our once fired brass, but we might want to rethink doing it, at the very least, inspect every case and be careful. He didn't go into any problems that they have seen or heard about.
    Just be safe.......................
    Jim S

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JLShipley View Post
    Just received E-Mail from Hornady Tech, I had asked some questions concerning the .17 Hornet once fired brass being reloaded, note problem's with primer pockets and that they are now stacking the primers until they run the reworked new brass in Aug/Sept, this what he wrote back...........

Quote:
    If you were to load the empty cases, you will not get the accuracy or life out of the cases. It is recommended at this time to use just factory ammunition for the time being.

I know we have reloaded some of our once fired brass, but we might want to rethink doing it, at the very least, inspect every case and be careful. He didn't go into any problems that they have seen or heard about.
    Just be safe.......................
    Jim S

Was there any lot numbers mentioned?
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

JLShipley
    Quote Originally Posted by plinkin View Post
    Was there any lot numbers mentioned?

Appears most of all the Brass has had problems, from day one,(Primers backing out, gas leakage and primer pockets not uniform). In June/July they started stacking the primer, to temporarily correct the problem's until new brass could be made. Projection was August or Sept. for the new brass, at that time the stacking of the primers would stop, they'll release un-prime Brass for sale ,When that will happen?(Hopefully soon after)

You can reload the Old/un-stacked brass, just inspect and clean out the primer pockets( use a pocket uniformer) and keep your powder loads below the MAX . It's better to keep it safe......
    Jim
    Hope this helps..................

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JLShipley View Post
    Appears most of all the Brass has had problems, from day one,(Primers backing out, gas leakage and primer pockets not uniform). In June/July they started stacking the primer, to temporarily correct the problem's until new brass could be made. Projection was August or Sept. for the new brass, at that time the stacking of the primers would stop, they'll release un-prime Brass for sale ,When that will happen?(Hopefully soon after)

You can reload the Old/un-stacked brass, just inspect and clean out the primer pockets( use a pocket uniformer) and keep your powder loads below the MAX . It's better to keep it safe......
    Jim
    Hope this helps..................
    What is "stacking the primer"? Is there something between the primer and the case? Or do you mean staking the primer. Staking meaning the prick punch the case.

New to reloading.
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

JLShipley
    Quote Originally Posted by plinkin View Post
    What is "stacking the primer"? Is there something between the primer and the case? Or do you mean staking the primer. Staking meaning the prick punch the case.

New to reloading.
    There is a ring between the case and actual primer, that what Hornady Call's it and I've always thought of that in that way.
    I've seen it on Federal .223 factory ammo, and others.
    Jim

thomae
    Sounds like a military-style "crimp" as executed by a ring-type punch.

JLShipley
    Might be, I have not seen any of the factory loads with it, all my 500 rounds were bought prior to the change.

davemuzz
    I must be the exception. I have about 200 rounds of once fired brass re-loaded and all have accepted a new primer with no flack, and all are shooting with great accuracy and no signs of excessive pressure.

FWIW

Dave

JLShipley
    Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    I must be the exception. I have about 200 rounds of once fired brass re-loaded and all have accepted a new primer with no flack, and all are shooting with great accuracy and no signs of excessive pressure.

FWIW

Dave
    Dave
    I Agree, I've reloaded a little more, and other than ,getting die set right, smashing a few case's and my fingers I had had no problems, now I have had a few primers that have back out a bit, new factory load, had two that cracked after firing primer opening on case.
    Most of my information came from Hornady....I've keep the e-mails. I'm just passing on the information.
    Jim

davemuzz
    Jim, Don't get me wrong....I very much appreciate the information. I figure at some point....something is gonna happen to me...and then I'm gonna say..."Hey...Jim typed something about that!" Which is better than saying "Hey..what the heck....??"

JLShipley
    Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    Jim, Don't get me wrong....I very much appreciate the information. I figure at some point....something is gonna happen to me...and then I'm gonna say..."Hey...Jim typed something about that!" Which is better than saying "Hey..what the heck....??"
    , I'll send you Copy's of Tech notes, I can't figure how to link to forum....
    Jim
    Last edited by JLShipley; 08-14-2013 at 10:54 AM.

davemuzz
    Email sent

Dave