Thread: Minimum Sear Engagement

Rebels7

Minimum Sear Engagement

I have adjusted the trigger on my 110 3 screw trigger as per these instructions.

http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/s...10trigger.html

I turned the sear screw back about 3/4 to 1 turn instead of the recommended 1/2 turnto give the sear a little more bite on the step. I felt it was better to err on the side of safety since this is a hunting rifle.
    Is the half turn back on the screw as dangerous as it appears or will it hold safely in hunting applications.?
    It looks like a good bump or bolt slam would let the sear go.
    I have banged the rifle and slammed the bolt on mine a good bit testing it and it has not misfired.
    The sear screw on mine was backed all the way down so this was a major improvment from where it started.

Basic Member

Re: Minimum Sear Engagement

Albiet for me to tell you about setting a Savage trigger because I don't own a three screw yet and certainly have not done one.

But in working with my Rem 700 and doing some Rifle basix conversions on other rifles including one Savage ..........

....... it's my opinion that when you take a recommended 1/2 turn for the sear break and add 50 to 100% more ...... you are really changing things.

Certainly it's safer ....... everything else being equal and safety certainly of no small importance.

For me, if I did not trust the linked instructions I would try somewhere between the recommended 1/2 turn and the lower figure you list ..... 3/4 turn ....... split the thing once more ...... 5/8 or a fat 5/8's turn?

It's all dependent on your taste and hunting style.

I have worked with enough light triggers over a long enough time but reserve the light ones to varmint work ...... big game rifles tend to get a more conventional treatment.

Best of luck

Three 44s

Basic Member

The screw threads are 32 tpi. A full turn= .03125, half turn=.015,quarter turn=.0075"
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Rebels7

Thank you for your replies. I am a machinist by trade so I understand the measurements involved. There are similar instructions with a little more detail available on this site so I was hoping for some real world users advice. It's not that I dont trust the instructions. .015 is the thickness of three sheets of notebook paper. The sear appears to only have a small area of contact with its corner resting on the step. In the real world how safe is this on a big game rifle ? I am not questioning anyones instructions I am trying to determine safety for its application.