Thread: Model 12 FCV

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Veduci

Model 12 FCV

I have a new Model 12 FCV; 204 Ruger; Accutrigger and AccuStock. Trigger pull at 1.75 pounds. I can not yet get any factory ammo to shoot with acceptable accuracy. I have tried Hornady 32 and 40 grain V-Max along with Federal 40 grain Nosler.
    Reloads thus far are all using Sierra 39 grain in front of H4895, CFE 223, and Varget. Varget gives acceptable results but is difficult to meter through my Dillon 204 powder funnel. Tests using H4895 have yet to be conducted. Maybe that powder will work... CFE has been erradic.
    Is there anything unusual about this rifle I should know?

Thanks so much for the help.

Basic Member
    loaded for a R-700 and i belive it was 27.6 varget and cci 400 and 40 vmax shot lights out at 100 but didnt try much else. good luck im sure someone else here with that rifle will be able to point you in a better direction.
    couple of savages

I don't load for a Savage in that caliber, it's about only caliber I have in another rifle. I load 32 gr V-Max with 30.7 gr. BLc-2 and CCI-450primers. This is max so work up to it. It shoots so good I have not tried anything else.

Veduci
    OK! I use Varget, 27.9 grains, CCI 450, Sierra 39. This load is acceptable. Have not done velocity check yet. Yesterday I got a great group with 26.7 grains H4895, CCI 450, Sierra 39. Need to repeat the test today. But 0.3 grains either way of 26.7 was not acceptable. At 27.9 grains only one on the paper! Hard to believe 1.2 grains can make that much difference.
    Thanks for the reply!

Savage 12FV in 204 was shooting 1/4 MOA at 100yds for me using 40gr V-Max and RL15 and CCI-400's. I say "was" because sometime back I switched the barrel on it to something else as it seemed to me that adding the slightest cross-breeze drifted my POI farther than I liked. Still have the barrel set back for more experiments later, but on a calm day she was a shooter.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Veduci
    I bought 4 boxes of Hornady 40 grain Vmax. They are so erratic we had to put up a large sheet of paper to find out where they were hitting. Completely missing a 12" x 12" target! Each shot would be off by as much as a foot in any direction. I have never experienced this much variance in any kind of ammo. I currently believe the barrel is ok because the 26.7 grains of H4895 shot a group with 0.75" spread. Will be trying the Vmax again today. I test using a Lead Sled.

Basic Member
    It might have been 26.7 on the varget but I doubt it I think it was 27.6 I have found on the 22-250 that H4895 is a little hotter than varget in my testing. My buddies R-700 in 204 done the same thing and we pushed the loads during the ladder test to the point with varget where there were some bullet separations. Let us know what happens for sure! Just takes the right stuff. Sorry couldn't help more. The 40 vmax was the best we found also. Factory 40vmax ammo hornady ammo yielded us 2-3" 100yard groups out of a very expensive rifle. We tossed velocity to the wind and stuck with something that yielded accuracy and we found that. Consistent 5 shot groups covered completely by a dime if the shooter does his part. Confirmed PD kills out past 650 yards 5 in a row good luck and let us know!
    couple of savages

Veduci
    NUTS... I got spoiled by my CZ 527. It shoots great 1/2" groups using Federal Sierra 39s (no longer loaded by Federal) and Federal 40 Nosler, as well as 28.4 grains CFE 223 behind Sierra 39. It does not like H4895. Benchmark was great also but at 300 fps less speed.

Now comes the new Savage FCV... Did test 2 today using H4895. Results did not come anywhere close to replication of Test 1. H4895 is out. I did Test 1 using Benchmark behind Sierra 39. Got two targets with 1/2" groups! 25.8 grains and 26.1 grains of Benchmark! These results mirror what I achieved with 27.9 grains of Varget.

Regardless of what load purchased or reload, the FCV does not like the faster velocities. Examples: Federal 40 Nosler @ 3,650; Federal 39 Sierra @ 3,750; and Hornady 40 V-Max @ 3,900 all are erratic. Hornady by far the worst.

I have not done velocity check on either Varget or Benchmark but will do so as soon as I see Benchmark results repeated.

Thanks to everyone for posting valuable and helpful data!

Veduci, I had two 200 rounds on Hornady 204 ammo that would not shoot good. It would vary greatly from shot to shot so I chrono'd it. It was consistent, but the velocity was 200 fps less than stated on the box for the two different loads I had. I had bought the ammo cheap about three years ago.

Veduci
    Called Savage and described in detail what is happening. They inform that no other person has reported such a problem. They of course want the gun returned. I agreed to do that but after my annual prairie dog shoot in September. I am going to include a large sheet of packing paper with a 5 shot group to demonstrate what I am talking about. Also will include a box of the Hornady ammo.

I have made numerous contacts (gunsmiths, other shooters, other blogs and forums) and most agree if the gun will shoot a reload with accuracy, it is not the barrel. Most think it is the ammo. Let us hope so.

Veduci

Picture?

Here is the pic of the 3 shot group...

http://s23.postimg.org/s3n2vveej/P1110833.jpg
    Last edited by Veduci; 08-06-2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: wrong URL

Veduci
    Can not post an image. Why? Anyway, I think the barrel is ok.

3 shot group - 1.5 centimeter spread. 26.7 Benchmark; Sierra 39; CCI 450; Hornady brass.

Got the same results with 26.4 of Benchmark.

Veduci
    What I wonder about is what would a non-reloader do if they purchased my gun, bought some assorted factory ammo, and went hunting prairie dogs. They would most likely kill none. Would they send the rifle back to Savage????? Sort of scary... I know from reloads there is nothing wrong with the rifle, it just will not shoot any factory loads. Does Savage test them out before shipment???

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.