Thread: Bedding a Laminate stock

whitetail8827

Bedding a Laminate stock

I have a 12 series with thumbhole laminate stock that I am considering bedding the action on. Is this a good plan and if so, does the laminate pose any issues that walnut stocks would not?

Does anyone have an opinion on useing JB Weld as the bedding material?

jlcpls

Re: Bedding a Laminate stock

I bedded my laminates with JB. Nothing but good to report.

You'll find the laminates easier to relieve wood if necessary, just don't let the dremel smell fear.

Do it.

Crowkiller

No problems, just rough up the area to be bedded through the finish and it should work great. Much easier than bonding bedding material to tupperware.

wildwv

I just bedded my BVSS with JB weld and it went very smooth for my first one. I have a thread on it not far back with some pics. I have not shot the rifle yet but am betting it will help. I jsut bedded a Ruger M77 today and used JB on it also, I let this batch of JB set for an hour before I used it and it was much thicker and easier to work with. Good Luck!!

Nothing wrong with using J&B but, Devcon Steel Putty sets up a little faster if your the type that doesn't like to wait long.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

pa_wdchuckhuntr

You might want to consider pillar bedding as well.

whitetail8827

The laminate stock already has metal sleeves in it for the 2 main bolts, so I think pillar bedding may not be as important.

jo191145

I use nothing but JB now. Far stronger than the average commercial bedding kits and assorted epoxies commonly found in box stores.
    Never tried the Devcon.

Elkbane

There's two (at least) types of JB Weld - a quick-set and another version that takes onger to set up. I've used the quick-set type and it works great as long as you have everything ready to go when you put the material in the stock. But, it makes a pretty firm paste and is a little hard to distribute evenly in the stock. The othere type, slower set - I made a mix of it just to see the consistency and tried it on a test piece of shotgun barrel using PAM as a release agent. Didn't care for the consistency or the way it interacted with the PAM. it was a little "squishy" for my tastes.

Devcon steel is about the best material I've found. It makes a paste about the consistency of peanut butter that sticks in teh stock where you put it, but is plastic enough to move and fill in gaps and voids when you put the action in the stock. Regular neutral Kiwi shoe polish for a release agent and you're good to go. It seems to set up harder than JB as well. The finish on the Devcon looks better than the JB - makes a slicker looking job. I've done 4 with the tub of it I bought + some small misc project - probably have enough left for at least one more. IMO, this is a good as it gets.

Can you use it? Sure. Should you? Up to you - it's your stick......
    Elkbane

possum1

I noticed at my hardware store they do not have Devcon in a tub rather a 2-tube syrenge like applicater. Is this the same stuff ?? It's come two mixture's quick and slower.

Elkbane

No, That's not the right stuff. Like most adhesive / industrial chemical companies, Devcon makes a ton of different products for specific applications.

The correct bedding material is called Devcon Steel 10110. It comes in a box with two small tubs, about 2.5" in diameter. One tub is grey (like JB Weld), the other is white. You mix 9 parts grey with 1 part white by weight. I weigh and mix them in small plastic cups (like mouthwash cups).

I zero out my digital scales on a mouthwash tub, then add about 300 grains of the grey. In another cup, add in 33 grains of the white. Then scoop out the white with a popsicle stick and mix it with the grey. That makes enough bedding compound to bed a stock, unless you've hogged out a huge bunch of stock material from the action area.
    ELkbane

whitetail8827

How about Cosmoline as a break-away agent? I have the real stuff that sprays on and dries to a wax like coating.

possum1

Bet it would work. The only thing that stick's to that stuff is DIRT ::)

Basic Member

I used JB Weld on my first bedding job and it worked alright. I just recieved my Midway order with the Devcon in it yesterday. I plan to try that this weekend.
    I'm not happy with the looks of the JB Weld bedding. It's probably my fault, but it just doesn't have a smooth finish to it. I'm hoping that the Devcon will give a better looking bedding surface. I have to say though that the JB Weld is a lot cheaper and easier to find locally than Devcon.

Andrew

possum1

Quote Originally Posted by yorketransport
    I used JB Weld on my first bedding job and it worked alright. I just recieved my Midway order with the Devcon in it yesterday. I plan to try that this weekend.
    I'm not happy with the looks of the JB Weld bedding. It's probably my fault, but it just doesn't have a smooth finish to it. I'm hoping that the Devcon will give a better looking bedding surface. I have to say though that the JB Weld is a lot cheaper and easier to find locally than Devcon.

Andrew
    keep us posted on the results. Have access to JB but don't want to pay shipping on Devcon ::)

wildwv

Quote Originally Posted by yorketransport

Andrew
    Andrew,
    With the very little bit of work I have done with JB weld on my rifles I would say you are doing something wrong. The 2 rifles I have bedded have come out smooth as glass. I am not defending JB weld because I have only used it twice, I would just hate for you to waste the new Devcon if its something you are doing incorrect. Good Luck

Basic Member

I don't doubt that I was doing something wrong with the JB Weld. A I said, it was my first attempt at bedding and the JB Weld just seemed hard to work with (too thick). I'm on my way out to the garage to start up with the Devcon now. I'll post an update to let everyone know how it works.

Andrew

Basic Member

I popped the action out of the stock this morning. My final verdict? The Devcon is a lot easier to work with. The consistancy is just right so it stays where you put it, but flows well when you squeeze the action into the stock. I can't say if it's a better bedding material than JB Weld. The Devcon is just a little easier to work with. Now that I have the tub of Devcon sitting here, I'll use it for any bedding jobs. But if I didn't have it I'd be fine with using JB Weld.

On a side note, bedding a factory tupperware stock is a serious pain. There's just so much empty space around the recoil lug. I ended up just building a wall of bedding material behind the lug. I would have preffered to have a "pocket" for the lug, but that would have taken half the tub of Devcon. The next stock to get bedded will be a B&C Medalist that should be a little easier.

Andrew

davemuzz

I don't know. I didn't find it exceptionally difficult to Davcon bed my Stevens 200 tupperware stock.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/davemuzz/DSC00582.jpg[/img]