Thread: Ring Suggestion For Weaver Tactical Base

hydrashocker

Ring Suggestion For Weaver Tactical Base

So as you guys know I have a 110 in 7mm LA and attached and bedded a weaver 1 piece tactical rail. I set up my rings (burris XTR) and to tell you the truth, well I think they look goddy! Also the rings get in the way of the action as well where I need to place my scope. Really it's bad enough that the rail is so thick and it also makes it hard to operate, but I wanted a 1 piece and it comes with a recoil lug, so it's installed. Also, I centered my scope and it seems like the bore lazer didn’t line up right to the rectical at about 25 feet, so my rifle might have offset taps????

The rings I have are the Burris XTR Medium and they are the correct height .420, so I went over to Cabelas and grabbed a set of Signature Zee rings in medium; well they are not tall enough? So then I grabbed one in High and compared them to the Medium and they looked like a match (how a med and high can match?). Well I took a good hard look at them and thought they might be a little flimsy, with that cut out and how thin they are in the 1”. The 30mm look a bit better, but that doesn’t help I have a 1” already! I really like the idea of having the inserts as not to lap and the ability to change up the inserts in case there is an issue if ever.

So I started second guessing myself and put them back, started looking at Warne Steel 2 screw caps and thought that was more of the lines I was looking for, the slightly thicker mount, utilizing a 2 cap screws, and finish with the large cap nut complete with 65 in/lbs torque. Problem however, side mount just killed it. The clerk is looking at me so I asked his opinion, I explain the situation, he pushes me away from the Sig Zee's and back to the Warne, and again more irritation is building. They really didn't have too much more, so I left frustrated with nothing! I have so far found a set of TPS 1" TSR Picatinny-Style Aluminum (medium?) rings on line and they have a real nice sleek look, but the price and also most likely in need of lapping.

I would like to utilize the Picatinny seeing that I do have that base, if possible, but again I need them to mount up to the base, and I've seen issues with rings not wanting to mount to my weaver base?

With all the talk I think would like to get the Signature Zee Ring IF it can hold up to my 7mm Rem Mag (muzzle break installed) and a Nikon Monarch 1" 4-16X50 SF scope, place it on the mount and be done. But being a single cap, single regular thin base, and in a high to boot with all of the weight of my scope plus caps, well I'm just not sure it's going to hold up and hold zero especially on an aluminum base?

I've used 30mm XTR lows with a 50mm objective in a Weaver 20MOA base...worked well. Also used 1" Signature Zee mediums with a 40mm objective and had plenty of clearance.

Do yourself a HUGE favor with that long action base and hacksaw the forward lug or two off...it will help immensely with scope clearance and does not impact the integrity of the base in the least. I've done this on Weavers and EGWs and it allows you to use the lowest possible rings (which helps a repeatable cheek weld).

A 7RM isn't going to hurt aluminum rings on an aluminum base...Signature Zees are plenty tough.

hydrashocker
    First, thanks for taking the time to read through my rant,

I most likely will cut the front of the base which is completely fine. The OD on the rectical should be around 56mm or 57mm. The scope its self weighs in around 19oz plus add the caps.

"Edit"
    I thought Signature Zee Rings were metal, not aluminum? From the catalog:

Burris Signature Rings set the standard by which all other scope rings are measured. They are the choice of most gunsmiths and serious shooters who want the utmost in accuracy and precision. These solid steel rings not only provide tremendous gripping power and durability, they guarantee proper alignment and maximum scope-to-ring contact through the use of Burris’ patented Pos-Align Inserts system.
    Last edited by hydrashocker; 08-02-2013 at 12:35 PM.

Honestly, I dunno what they are made of...but regardless, they're plenty tough.

thomae
    Fact:
    Burris Signature Zee Rings are made of steel.

Fact:
    Both steel and aluminum are metals.

Opinion:
    Signature Zee rings are more than strong enough for your scope, rifle, and chambering.

Fact:
    I have never read any post, or heard of any anecdotal evidence that indicated a failure of a Burris Signature Zee Ring.

Recommended technique:
    Make sure you push them all the way forward in the slot after you insert the crossbolt.

Recommended Technique:
    Torque to the proper values and don't overtorque.

Opinion:
    You will have no problems.