Thread: Savage 110 30-06 receiver question.

AndyD

Question Savage 110 30-06 receiver question.

What's goin in everybody. Just joined up today.

Ive recently acquired and old 110 (pre accutrigger) 30-06 from a seized gun auction for 200.00. Of course it shows signs of wear and tear and no tellin what the story is behind why it was seized by the authorities. But anyway it's my donor gun for my wildcat build of a 22-284 or 6-284 haven't made up my mind yet. The action and trigger work good, there is a little slack in the bolt and when you throw it forward the bolt handle rubs the tang behind the receiver. It's down the to the left of the safety. It also has a decent amount of pitting in the bolt raceways. Do y'all think I should try and find a new or used receiver? I know you can only polish those raceways to a certain extent. I have been searching high and low for a receiver and so far it's like they don't exist on the market. I wanted to get the whole gun cerakoted after I've got everything built, but do not want to waste the money if the receiver is no good. Or could cerakote help get rid of the pits in the raceways and repolish the raceways after cerakote.? Thanks everybody

Well you've already got this one, so you might as well polish it up a bit and see what can be done. As for the slack in the bolt, you could try a new PTG oversized bolt body to help take the slop out. I know a couple of people have had success with them. Ceracoating will definitely make it look better, but as for the pits I guess that would depend on how bad they are. A couple of pictures posted up here may help us answer that question.

The word is out on Savages and how the average Joe can build one, so it seems the Local Gun Shop buys on the cheap are drying up, at least around my area. They still pop up from time to time however, so don't give up hope if you want another receiver. You could always order a new package gun, hog hunter, or Stevens 200 if you desire another action. Become a paid member here for $15/year, and you can sell off the barrel and stock off your donor rifle in the paid member classifieds here and probably find some deals to help build your new rifle.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

AndyD
    Ill have to look into the oversized bolt body. I was gonna buy a brand new fluted bolt body from sharpshooters. ill have to see if they have oversized bolt bodies or just send the PTG to them for the fluting. I figure that cerakote will fill the pits in and if need be re-polish it if its to tight. I did email Savage asking if they sold bare bones receivers, so we will see. Ill have to get in my CPU tomorrow and try to get some pics up of the receiver.

You are 100% correct about finding a donor rifle for a good price anywhere. My friends mom owns the auction company, so I knew what was comin in way before the auction. So when I saw that 110 I made double sure it would leave with me lol. But I will def check with PTG about that bolt body.

Mach2
    i'm not sure the pitting matters at all. Go shoot it and see what you think. Make your decision off that.

AndyD
    I don't think the pitting will make a difference either. Just looks crappy and I'm afraid to sand to much of the raceways. The cerakote should do the trick.Just want my custom build to look and shoot really good. It just disgusts me when I see a gun that hasn't been taken care. It really ain't that hard to maintain firearms either. Rig grease works wonders. Lol

Mach2
    Andy look up the ser # and get the year of manufacture.

AndyD
    Tried lookin it up on the Savage website but they don't keep records that far back. It starts with F179xxx

Mach2
    "F" prefix with a serial number lower than F498821 = 1989 thru Nov. 1st, 1995

Savage was purchased in 95 so you may have difficulty getting help from them. I'd call them anyhow.
    Last edited by Mach2; 08-02-2013 at 02:18 PM.

AndyD
    Well I gave a local guy here a call today and they offer somethin (Duracoat or cerakote) to get rid of the pitting in my raceways. It's some kind of filler applied before either desired coat is applied. Pheeeew. Now all I gotta do is take my barrel off and decide where to send it for thread measurement. I decided to have the new barrel (Heavy 30") chambered in 6mm284. I just don't know which company I want to go with. There are just so may options with barrel companies. But anyhow while the barrel is being made ill go ahead and get all the other parts cerakoted.

Mach2
    I'm just asking since I have no experience coating the internals with cerakote but will the bolt still fit if you coat the insides too?

stangfish
    Here let me measure the threads for you............................................... .............................................hhhhm hmmm, Looks Like 1.055(1 1/16) -20 tpi.
    As far as the rub it would be prudent to see if the action is twisted before you sink money in it.

AndyD
    Mach2 I read somewhere yesterday that other people had sprayed all the internals and it still worked great. The guy at the coating shop is the one who told me about the DuraFil. It's supposed to be applied before the other coating to fill in pits and scratches.

StangFish. Lol you sound you know what goin on with a Savage. Yes since I don't know any history about the gun I was just gonna send the barrel to the barrel guys. I pretty much want the same barrel on my 12FV, but in a 30". And a twisted action? Never even thought that could happen. Learn somethin new everyday. Enlighten me please. I'm very intrigued.