Thread: MOA base for my axis??

bentley1

MOA base for my axis??

Hey guys, new here and have a few questions about MOA rails for the axis. So far I have found that EGW is the only company that makes rails and they come in 0 and 20 MOA. I am shooting a 22-250 and really enjoy it and have shot out to about 600yrds and Im thinking that's about as far as I am going to get with my current setup. I am curious if a 0 MOA rail will make any difference from the standard mounts, or if a 20 MOA rail is a little much?? I am no expert but an avid shooter looking to improve my accuracy and range. I have a simmons 6x24x50 scope and I believe it has about 50 in the range of adjustment. If anybody is using either of these rails and could chime in I would really appreciate it and im looking forward all the research and facts on this forum. Thanks

bentley1

This is What a new base will go on
    Last edited by bentley1; 07-31-2013 at 04:10 PM.

The Axis 22-250's have a barrel twist rate of 1-12" so realistically your shooting at 600 yards is already pushing the effective limit of the round/bullet combo as the 1-12 twist barrel is only good for bullets up to around 60 grains. Factory loaded Hornady 55gr V-Max ammo is shown to drop 33.9 inches @ 500 yards from a 100 yard zero, and the retained energy is down to just 432 ft-lbs. Beyond 500 the bullet is just going to start dropping like a lead balloon and your velocity and energy will fall off extremely fast.

In other words, 500-600 yards is about the max limit for your setup so adding a MOA base really isn't going to gain you anything useful since the round can't make use of the additional adjustment range in the optic. If you had a faster 1-8 or 1-9 twist barrel and could shoot the high B.C. bullets in the 69-80gr range it would be a different story, but it is what it is.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I run a egw 0 on my 22-250. Even if I go to 1000 yards a have weightplenty of adjustment out of my scope. I do run a 20 moa on my 308 though.

bentley1
    Thank you that's exactly what I was looking for. Shouldn't have gone with the axis but like you said it is what it is. Sorry for the bad picture also

bentley1
    Any pictures of these rails mounted?

Basic Member
    I can get one tonight, mine is on a model ten though.

bentley1
    Thanks just curious havnt seen any good pictures of the egw rail

Nandy
    Quote Originally Posted by bentley1 View Post
    Shouldn't have gone with the axis but like you said it is what it is.
    Why not? Get a faster twist barrel or re-barrel for a bullet better served to shoot past 600 yards.

bentley1
    I have been looking around for different barrels can you recommend a good place? Also not sure if I want to spend more $ on the axis or upgrade. It is a fun gun

Nandy
    there are plenty of options out there for barrels. The vendors in this site are top notch. You can turn this gun to do pretty much anything you want just like you would any 110/10 gun. My only issue was having to do my own inletting if i wanted an aftermarket stock, not impossible to do but more work but with the advent of the aftermarket stock sometime by the end of this year I might start using his action for my builds. Some say the axis action is stiffer than the 110 action. What i am trying to say is the axis is very upgradable. If you became a paid member you can camp in the classifieds for some parts and read some of the articles on how to make your axis a better shooter. Good luck.

Basic Member
    What Nandy said....

I probably would have gone axis on my 22-250 and then went aftermarket barrel and an accutrigger, but the lack of stocks turned me away from that. I have a buddy that has an Axis with a Mcgowen prefit 22-250AI 8" twist a custom laminate stock, aftermarket trigger and it is a one jagged hole at 100 I have seen him kill a coyote at ~800 yards with it too.

bentley1
    Thanks a lot guys I really appreciate all the feedback. I am glad to hear its more upgradable than I thought. Looks like a new barrel is in the near future and I hope some stocks come out soon but until then ill just go with a base and see what I can do with the 55g I have been shootin. Thanks again

seanmurphy265

bentley1
    Is that the 20 or 0 seanmurphy265? Thanks for the pic

seanmurphy265
    I believe it's a 20. I purchased this after a poorly fastened mount (by my gunshop) caused me to miss the largest deer I have seen while hunting! I plan to upgrade to a 50mm scope before deer season this year. I wish I would have used this mount from day one. It's a very nice high quality mount, and it allows you to mount a 50mm scope! Not to mention I think it looks very good!

Quote Originally Posted by bentley1 View Post
    Thanks a lot guys I really appreciate all the feedback. I am glad to hear its more upgradable than I thought. Looks like a new barrel is in the near future and I hope some stocks come out soon but until then ill just go with a base and see what I can do with the 55g I have been shootin. Thanks again
    That's why I buy the Axis..Going in is cheap and upgrades are a breeze. And there's always when one of those $1k guys shooting next to me can not print a target as well as the Axis can't believe his eyes and cusses his gun!! Makes my day!!!

bentley1
    That rail does look good thanks again guys for all your replies. Egw rail will be my next purchase

Predator53
    I have a 20MOA base on my axis...its a great base...plenty of adjustment..you can set the scope up with cheek on the stock to see the complete scope and still have good eye relief...this shoots excellent 55 gr Nosler spitzer out to where,i point it...Rusty