Thread: Nightforce scope

tenwalker

Nightforce scope

Has anyone used a Nightforce scope, 5.5-22x50, with the NP-1RR reticule on Prairie Dogs? How did you like its range finding capabilities?

Basic Member

Re: Nightforce scope

Right now I use that exact scope for F class competition but if we get drawn for antelope in WY this year I'll shoot some PDs and let you know.
    Frank

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

Senderofan

I have the NP-1RR on my BR 8-32X that I've used for PD shooting. Over the years...my personal experience....the reticule is too busy for my liking. This is just my personal experience...others my absolutely swear by the reticule. I rely on my laser range finder for ranging, quicker and more accurate...and the prices aren't too bad for many of the new models.

Good Luck,

Wayne

Don - LongRangeSupply

NP-R1 is the best reticle they make. The NP-1RR is one of the worst and yes it is way too busy.

You can do anything that the NP-1RR does with the NP-R1 plus it is a lot better for holdover on long distance stuff.

FYI the most commonly used spelling is RETICLE not RETICULE

Spellcheckers erroneously suggest reticule for reticle which is why you see the "less correct" spelling used so frequently, but the main definition for reticule is a french word for a purse or sack. The word reticule is virtually never intentionally used by the optics industry to designate a reticle.

ret?i?cle
    ??/?r?t?k?l/ [ret-i-kuhl]
    –noun Optics.
    a network of fine lines, wires, or the like placed in the focus of the eyepiece of an optical instrument.

ret?i?cule
    ??/?r?t??kyul/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ret-i-kyool] Show IPA
    –noun
    a small purse or bag, originally of network but later of silk, rayon, etc.

DGD6MM

I have a npr-1 8-32 and a npr-2 12-42 both are benchrest scopes and are great for all types of shooting. I do not see the need for a nxs if your not abusing the scope, meaning running and diving on the ground rolling around playing warrior. :D I shoot some tacticals and get alittle ruff in some of these timed advents and the benchrest keeps up with no problem. Now on resale I'm not sure if the nxs will put more $ back in your pocket vs. the benchrest. Just my .02.

I have the NP-R1 on my 12-42 benchrest. I'm pretty happy with it. I'm glad I didn't go with the NP-1RR.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Tenwalker 2 questions, Have you heard anything about your stock from Joel Russo? Mine was ordered 8weeks ago, I talked to him yesterday, PM me if you have heard anything.
    Also is that you over on optics talk?
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Don - LongRangeSupply

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim
    I have the NP-R1 on my 12-42 benchrest. I&#39;m pretty happy with it. I&#39;m glad I didn&#39;t go with the NP-1RR.
    How did you get an NP-R1 on the Benchrest model? (Nightforce doesn&#39;t offer that reticle on the Benchrests.)

http://nightforceoptics.com/nightfor...es_detail.html

2 many,

I understand your confusion. I was confused too. I had originally been told the exact same thing by another Nightforce dealer in Scottsdale. I really wanted the NP-R1 reticle, but was told they don&#39;t make it in the BR. While I was still trying to figure out what other reticle I could live with, I happened to be in Bruno&#39;s shop in N. Phoenix, and they had one sitting on the shelf. I was chatting with my buddy in there, and he said, "Hey, they have that scope you wanted." When I replied, "They don&#39;t have it with the reticle I want." The gal came around and asked which reticle I was looking for, I told her the NP-R1, but they don&#39;t make it in that one, she said she had one right there. She was right. They had it, they put it in my hands, they beat the price of the "other" dealer in Scottsdale, and I bought it right there on the spot and took it home.

I don&#39;t know what the deal is, if Bruno&#39;s was able to special order it, or if they had one sent back and redone, or what? Maybe the Nightforce website is wrong? Maybe it&#39;s avail as a custom order? But seeing was believing, and I wasn&#39;t about to question it when it was laying in my hands.

Here&#39;s the link to Bruno&#39;s shop, maybe they have another one, or can get more? I stopped looking at them after I got mine:

http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchan...Store_Code=BSS

They&#39;re nice folks to deal with, and I usually get my components there.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Here&#39;s an "external" picture...

;D

[img width=600 height=450]http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr268/slowpokeslim/P1050351.jpg[/img]

If I could figure out how, I&#39;d take a picture through the scope to show the reticle...

;D

DGD6MM

I own a older 8-32 benchrest, and yes it does have a NP-R1 reticle.

Don - LongRangeSupply

The NP-R1 reticle is not that old......It has only been available for 5-6 years, maybe even less. The white printing on the side of that Benchrest scope photo above also looks like a really old scope or possibly a really new one. All the Benchrests I have seen had gold lettering on the side. When did you buy it?

Any chance you guys have something else besides an NP-R1? (Maybe an NP-1?)

Go look at the NP-R1 on the Nightforce web site and let us know if the reticle you have is EXACTLY the same as the NP-R1 listed there. If it isn&#39;t, then you have something else. The word from Nightforce is that the NP-R1 has never been offered on the Benchrests .....But like they say, never say never?

http://nightforceoptics.com/nightfor...es_detail.html

http://nightforceoptics.com/nightfor...1_15x_copy.pdf

firemachine69

Special order most likely.

Nightforce, unlike Bushell and Burris, can do that. ;D

Don - LongRangeSupply

Quote Originally Posted by firemachine69
    Special order most likely.

Nightforce, unlike Bushell and Burris, can do that. ;D
    Not unless this is something new or something they offered for a very brief time.... I have called them several times over the last few years since the NP-R1 was introduced, and they will not put an NP-R1 reticle in either of the Benchrest scopes special order or not. Nor will they put one in the compact series 1-4x or 2.5-10x.

Maybe they did at one time or maybe they just started offering it within the last few months? I will let you know on Monday after I make yet another call.

I bought mine on Oct 6th of last year. It was brand new in the box, still sealed. The warranty card was inside, which I filled out and mailed in.

It is, without a doubt, no chance of being wrong, an NP-R1 reticle.

It is what it is.

I don&#39;t know what to tell you, I was told the exact same thing by another NF dealer, but I have the scope sitting on my rifle.

Did you call Bruno&#39;s yet?

Maybe they have some sort of exclusive arrangement with NF. I don&#39;t know, I didn&#39;t question them at all about it. I just whipped out my credit card and paid for it.

firemachine69

Interesting... Dealer demo? Prototype, even????

Don - LongRangeSupply

They did a limited run with the NP-R1 reticle. No more for the present.

soonerman

I just bought a 10BAT/S-K that was equipped with a 8x32BR that also has the NP-R1. It has an inspection sticker on it dated 4/28/09.

It also has the white lettering, if that matters.