Thread: Sex Change

Uncle Mike

Sex Change

Well, I bought a 116 FHSS (Hinged Floorplate).
    I would like to change the hinged floorplate feed over to a detachable magazine feed.

I know that the bottom metal may have to be changed and magazines bought, is there anything more to this swap that you gentlemen may know of?

Is the bottom metal of the 'hinged floorplate' the same as the 'detachable magazine' bottom metal sans the hinged door?

The rifle is a center feed 30-06.

Thanx-

Basic Member

Re: Sex Change

The DBM magazine frame is different from the HFP frame, however they will fit in the same inlet. You will need the DBM magazine frame and a magazine cap. The mag box and follower assembly can be removed from the HFP assembly and by adding the bottom cap, transforms it into a detachable magazine.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Uncle Mike

Hey, Sharpshooter thanks a bunch. I was contemplating on changing this thing over to a DBM.
    Do you know if Savage will sell the DBM magazine frame and a cap?

Basic Member

SharpShooterSupply can hook you up with everything you need to convert your rifle.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Uncle Mike

;D Again a BIG THANK YOU to Fred and Lisa for their help with converting a HFP to a DBM rifle.

Spoke with Lisa and she was a big help, polite and had the parts on the way the very next day. ;D
    Hope this project will work now!

;D

mogunr

I called Sharpshooters and was told that they haven't got to making DBM for .30-06
    ??

Quote Originally Posted by mogunr
    I called Sharpshooters and was told that they haven't got to making DBM for .30-06
    ??
    They were probably talking about the extended DBM that holds like 10 rounds. The one Mike is doing is just converting his to a factory setup, using all factory Savage parts.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Cycler

Here is the other side of the same question. I have a 16SS with the hinged floor plate and am thinking of some major modifications like a replacement barrel and stock but I do like the hinged floor plate. So I'm wondering if aftermarket stocks will accept the HFP hardware? Particularly will SSS's stocks accept it?

outlawkyote

Quote Originally Posted by Cycler
    Here is the other side of the same question. I have a 16SS with the hinged floor plate and am thinking of some major modifications like a replacement barrel and stock but I do like the hinged floor plate. So I'm wondering if aftermarket stocks will accept the HFP hardware? Particularly will SSS's stocks accept it?
    If thats what you want, Im sure they will build it to your specs. Better ask to be sure though

mogunr

Thanks for the reply. I guess I need to call and discuss it a little further with them. I like the HFP but I just don't care for how easy it is to bump the release and cause it to come open. If there were a way to tighten it up...I wonder how others like their DBM? UncleMike?

Basic Member

If you describe to SSS what you want and the issue, Fred can fix that problem for you. His barrels are awesome and so are the rest of his parts. I wouldn't hesitate to have him build another great shooter for me.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Check this web site and see if it helps
    http://cdiprecisiongunworks.com/c1/i...tpage&Itemid=1