Thread: Another 'crazy' project?

n4ue

Another 'crazy' project?

OK, my Axis conversion to .221 Fireball is done.
    I also conceded to "sinman"s suggestion to get a reamer, etc.
    Although the rifle works perfectly and is a hoot to shoot, reloading has become a hassle. The .221 I 'made' has the same case dimensions as the top of a .223 Rem, so some extra steps are involved in case sizing, etc. I have a reamer coming tomorrow and going to pull the Axis bbl off again and ream it to .221 FB chamber specs.

Since I have, er, several spare .223 Axis bbls, here's another one of my 'ideas':

What about a .22/204? This would be a .204 Ruger case opened up to .224". I have a new M12 in .204R and love it and DON'T plan to mess with that one! ha ha
    Hey, how about a .22/204R Improved?? I realize that the short 22" bbl of the axis would be inefficient, but....

Gee, being semi-retired has left me with too much time on my hands even considering my other hobbies.
    And yes, I have lady 'friends', too!!!

Any thoughts?

FLAME SUIT ON!!!

ron

A 22/204 would essentially be a .222 Remington Magnum Improved as the 204R is just that case necked down with a slightly "improved" shoulder (from 23 to 30 degrees).

Dunno why you keep insisting on doing things bass-ackwards, but more power to ya. lol
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Yup, .222 Rem Mag Improved. Should be a fun lil' build. Like you said, possibly inefficient but something different.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

n4ue
    MrF. Why would I want to do things the 'easy way'??
    I would much rather be in my shop doing something I was told "couldn't be done", instead of sitting in front of the boob tube watching Jersey Shore, etc.
    Every time I tackle a project, I learn something. Maybe old news to the professional gunsmiths, but it keeps me young... ha ha
    Most of all, it is FUN.

ron

Here's a suggestion, what bullet would work to straightwall a .204?
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

It's your gun and your time Ron, so more power to ya! Nothing wrong with keeping yourself occupied making metal shavings IF you have the experience and knowledge to understand what your doing.

However, my line of thinking stems from all the novices and rookies around here who don't know any better. After almost 11 years of running this forum I've learned that people are very apt at blindly jumping into things even though they know absolutely nothing about what they're doing or why they're doing it, and they just end up getting themselves into trouble. They read something on the internet and/or someone gives them some bad/incomplete/partial information and next thing you know they think they're an expert and run with it at warp speed only to end up with a huge mess on their hands and no clue how to fix it. Call it a lack of common sense, ignorance, or internet stupidity....whatever the case it becomes more and more of a problem around here each and every year so we (the staff) have to be more and more mindful of the kind of information people are posting and more importantly, if it's correct and safe information. We may ruffle some feathers in the process every now and then, but someone getting upset at us for shining the reality spotlight on them is a lot better than having one or more ill-informed members waste a lot of money and/or ruin a gun by trying to follow that persons example even though they have no business doing so based on their knowledge/experience level.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Here's a suggestion, what bullet would work to straightwall a .204?
    .357 would likely be the best candidate as the body is listed as 0.3598" at the body/shoulder junction.

n4ue
    MrF, I understand completely... When I lived in Ky, I had a side business (I'm a EE), building roll cages and race car chassis. I know all too well about the litigious society we live in. Even though my business was a LLC and I'm a Certified MIG/TIG welder, I would NOT do that kind of work for anyone but myself these days....
    A friend has a LGS. I have seen 2 rifles where the owners dropped the gun out of a tree stand, stuck it in the ground, and then fired it! Split all the way back to the receiver.
    I have a machine/welding shop and make my own tools, just because I enjoy it. Time at the lathe or milling machine is good therapy for me.
    Lord only knows I need it!!! ha ha
    BTW, you didn't ruffle my feathers. I'm ruffle-proof. Also don't feel pain, been married 3 times. ha ha

ron

Team Savage
    Ron:
    You've already got it stuck in your head about going/trying the 22/204 and you've got the "extra" barrels so it's a matter of spending some of your "semi retired" time and see what you can come up with. Only you will know how it will work out. My vote is.. Go for it and keep us posted with the results". Mikie likes the idea!