Thread: Sonic Case Cleaners

Sonic Case Cleaners

So who's using what, how do you like it, and most importantly how well does it work?

I've been meaning to buy one of the larger ones for awhile now but haven't been able to make my mind up between the Lyman Turbo Sonic 6000 or the Hornady Lock-n-Load Magnum. The Lyman has the benefit of a drain which to me is kind of a no-brainer, but apparently most sonic cleaners don't have one. On the other hand the Hornady benefits from dual transducers which from what I've read and seen helps to reduce the required run time. They both cost about the same so that isn't a factor.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I use the Lyman and tumble in super fine walnut to desired polish. Although I'm happy with the result, I get super jealous of my friends stainless media tumbler. It's not even a fair fight. If your looking at getting a new setup, I would take a good hard look at a stainless setup before going the sonic route. It's, by far, superior.

Go to http://www.sharpertek.com/ultrasonic-gun-cleaner.html, I bought their handgun cleaner and it's the best. If you call them, they will work with you on the price. I sold my Hornaday as it doesn't hold a candle to the sharpertek.

Just browse the gun cleaner units, if you have any questions, let me know. We have two of them, FYI

Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Werewolf
    Whew! I guess that's the difference between a thousand dollar unit and a $200 dollar unit. That's outta my league for cleaning brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    Whew! I guess that's the difference between a thousand dollar unit and a $200 dollar unit. That's outta my league for cleaning brass.
    When I told them I was a hobbyist, they worked with me on the price, FYI

masterblaster
    I tried the Hornady, sent it back to midway and got the thumbler tumbler, very easy and very clean now.

Basic Member
    I have the Lyman, and have used the Hornady. My Thumler's and SS media blows them both away. I use the ultra sonic for cleaning my wife's jewelry, and occasionally gun parts.

Basic Member
    I also have the same Lyman you mention. I am happy with the unit for cleaning gun and metal parts. Haven't tried it much for brass. Did a couple tests with some brass with so-so results. I found a longer run time and plenty of the cleaning sollution produces better results, at least for metal parts, I'll have to try the brass again.

For cleaning brass you can't beat the SS media (got that too). The dillion media seperator works well for seperating media from brass.

I do like the ultra sonic but use it for cleaning metal parts now.

BT

Basic Member
    Harbor Freight-$30.00 (on sale) for the little one. First run of ten .223s took 6 minutes-look better than new!!--$30.00!!! I used a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and distilled water and rinsed with baking soda solution--CHEAP!!

FWIW, The no drain is a bit of a pain, the unit has a built in 3 minute timer-another bit of a pain and the case is rounded like an egg, making it awkward to handle and dump. It looks like it would be at home on a lady's vanity table rather than a reloading bench. It will handle at least 20 223s, maybe 30.

BOTTEM LINE--THIRTY BUCKS!!!!! IT WORKS!! NOT $1000-NOT $200 ONLY $30.00!!!

davemuzz
    I bot the very first Hornady unit they came out with. It's a smaller one with no drain and doesn't have a heating unit in it. I've bought both the brass cleaning solution and the "parts" cleaning solution....and frankly, I like the unit. The no drain really isn't an issue as I just go outside of my garage and heave it into the "my grass never grows anyway" lawn.

If mine had a built in heater.....I would be in brass cleaning heaven!!! But, I still keep my vibratory unit when I want the brass to shine so bright...it will blind you!!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by durango View Post
    Harbor Freight-$30.00 (on sale) for the little one. First run of ten .223s took 6 minutes-look better than new!!--$30.00!!!

BOTTEM LINE--THIRTY BUCKS!!!!! IT WORKS!! NOT $1000-NOT $200 ONLY $30.00!!!
    Harbor Freight user here too. I have the 2.5 liter model. I do up to 50 .284 cases at a time. Works great with the Hornady Ultrasonic cleaning solution. $80 for the Ultrasonic unit.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lite...ner-95563.html

-Rick
    Unbiased AR15, Barnard, BAT, Borden, Browning, Kelbly, Marsh, Nesika Bay, Remington, Ruger, Savage, Ultralight Arms owner. I like 'em all.

EOD350
    I use the Harbor freight sonic cleeeaner. It is the same one Lyman uses and it works great, only $80.00. If want shiny brass, I'll tumble it of about 1 hr. after cleaning. But, most times it is good enough out of the cleaner.

stangfish
    I had picked up one for cleaning bearings in my RC racing days. I have never purchased solution and make up my own conoction. I always like how clean the interior of the cases and the primer pockets got. I did notice the copper/brass "adhesion" when I pulled bullets or reset COAL. The solution got dirty fast.

Nandy
    I also use the harbor freight small cleaner but I dont remember who makes the cleaning solution that I use but is for reloading. The cases come real clean, not supper shiny but I dont care much for shiny. Actually, I do even skip the sonic cleaner at time and just clean the primer pocket and make sure the flash hole looks good. I dont like the classic tumbling method specially since you have to wait about an hour or so. I use a very small piece of wood on the on button and a rubberband to keep pressure on the wood so the on button is pressed all the time and set my timer on my cell. One of these days I will just add a digital timer to the cleaner and wire it to the button... one of these days...

rdamours
    I picked up the larger harbor freight ultrasonic cleaner and ran two batches of around 150 .308 brass. Did the 50/50 vinegar solution with heat and rinsed with baking soda and distilled water. Couldn't be happier for the price and how they came out. Clean as a whistle inside and out. Hopefully this thing lasts for a while.

MacDR
    I know this is an older thread but since I use a sonic cleaner I will put in my 2 cents. I have a Lyman, the smaller model. My cleaning solution is a teaspoon of citric acid and a couple of drops of Lestoil to a cup of water. Works well on inside and outside. The citric acid also pacifies the brass so it remains bright longer in storage. I dry in the oven on the keep warm setting. If I want shiny I chuck in a case trimmer and polish with superfine steel wool. BTW after a few hundred cases I switch out with new solution and put the dirty liquid in a bottle. After a day or so all the suspened particles sink and the solution can be reused. After several uses it does lose strength and is discarded. Citric acid can be found at most health food stores. It is also sold as sour salt and used to sprinkle on confections.

Basic Member
    I've used the HF larger unit for several years, I make my own solution out of White vinegar, a dash of liquid laundry detergent, and about a fourth cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide. My son the chemist had me add the peroxide to add oxygen to the mix to speed up the action, and I rinse with clear water. The larger HF unit also has a heater. I mostly use it to clean my 224 diameter bullets made from 22 rim fire jackets after completing them. Works very well. I will be trying the rotary tumbler with the stainless steel media, everyone raves about it and it appears to be the easiest and fastest route to clean brass. Blitzfike
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzfike View Post
    I've used the HF larger unit for several years, I make my own solution out of White vinegar, a dash of liquid laundry detergent, and about a fourth cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide. My son the chemist had me add the peroxide to add oxygen to the mix to speed up the action, and I rinse with clear water. The larger HF unit also has a heater. I mostly use it to clean my 224 diameter bullets made from 22 rim fire jackets after completing them. Works very well. I will be trying the rotary tumbler with the stainless steel media, everyone raves about it and it appears to be the easiest and fastest route to clean brass. Blitzfike
    You don't neutralize the vinegar after cleaning?

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    I tried the Hornady, sent it back to midway and got the thumbler tumbler, very easy and very clean now.
    masterblaster and 319: And all others: The Lyman thumbler tumbler is the best vibrator? Which media do you use.

I like to shine my brass up as well.

Thanks, Dennis

PS: I still love my Sharp-r-tec ultrasonic cleaner. an ounce of their cleaning solution and a teaspoon of lemon shine does the trick. I use distilled water and run the water through 2 cycles before adding brass. I have the time, so I put 25 pieces of brass in at a time. The reason: it cleans the primer pockets perfectly vs doing 75 at a time.

Basic Member
    All I have done is to flush with clean water after doing the cleaning op. They do suffer from a slight tarnish, but are still pretty bright. They also usually end up in the tumbler to remove any lube after loading operations, so that probably negates any acid residue left. Blitzfike
    NRA Endowment Member

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    masterblaster and 319: And all others: The Lyman thumbler tumbler is the best vibrator? Which media do you use.
    The Thumbler Tumbler is not a vibratory tumbler, it is a rotary wet tumbler and was originally made for tumbling rocks to polish them. It is probably the best rotary tumbler on the market. I don't own one, but I have used them for rocks in the past. Great machine and I will probably get one for brass cleaning. Blitzfike
    NRA Endowment Member

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzfike View Post
    The Thumbler Tumbler is not a vibratory tumbler, it is a rotary wet tumbler and was originally made for tumbling rocks to polish them. It is probably the best rotary tumbler on the market. I don't own one, but I have used them for rocks in the past. Great machine and I will probably get one for brass cleaning. Blitzfike
    I have a thumbler style tumbler myself with stainless pin media and I Love it. The only thing I would have a ultrasonic for is cleaning barreled actions and pistols.