Thread: Look what I got today!!!

Basic Member

Look what I got today!!!

Only had 20 rounds through it to sight in the scope he had on it. Said it hurt him too much so he put it back in the box and its sat under his bed since. Now it's mine. Some very light surface rust from sitting unoiled for 8 years but other than that in great shape. Now what to do with it?

I would've left it under the bed too. Lol
    A light weight 300rum! Ouch!
    No muzzle brake on it I assume?
    That thing could hurt ya.

Basic Member
    Nope no muzzle break. Light weight. Recoil pad is hard as a brick. Everything about it screams brutal. But.....300 RUM's in a savage are hard to come by.

JCalhoun
    Yes. Not many out there.

Build a 338edge off the action. I would advise a brake on it though! I've shot mine with the brake on and it kicked probably about the same as that light 300.
    After you shoot that 300 a few times you'll probably wanna change it up a bit.

Basic Member
    I'm kinda at a loss of what to do with it right now. I'm not really interested in the 300 RUM. I'm either going to sell the barrel and keep the action for a 338 RUM build or just sell the rifle. I really want a 338 caliber rifle, but I hate the idea of pouring 100 grains of powder per cartridge. That'll get expensive mixed with the bullets. Decisions decisions
    Last edited by n10sivern; 07-29-2013 at 11:55 PM.

I know! The 338's a big and great but they're $$$$$$ to shoot.
    I kinda regret building my 338Edge, it'll be sold after I shoot my 200 bergers out of it. Expensive to feed! I'm sticking with 7mm from now on.

2 main reasons I havent gone 338 is..... 1. The cost to reload....2. The life expectancy of the barrel.

But ******!!!!! I want one so-so bad!..............
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    Yeah. I'm still undecided. I keep looking at YouTube videos of hog hunts with 338 LM which convince me I will probably end up with a 338 at some point. I just dont know if it is now and with this rifle. I could just buy a 110FCP down the road and be set up with 338 Lapua. Ugh, I hate it when I want something and KNOW I don't need it right NOW.

Nandy
    Quote Originally Posted by n10sivern View Post
    Now what to do with it?
    Send it my way... LOL!
    You dont say how much you paid for it so giving you advise (keeping investment in mind) is kind of hard but if your cost was low... Keep the action and sell everything else that should get you very close to an action for a low price. Build whatever you need now, do the 338 later. I dont think selling the rifle would be a good idea specially if you are not going to keep the new rifle stock...

Basic Member
    I think I'm just going to sell it and save up for a 338 lapua savage. By the time I pay for barrel, muzzle break, stock, threading barrel for muzzle break, ect I'm right there with what i could get a 111 in 338 lapua. I'm not in a rush to build it so I can just wait til I find one and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by n10sivern View Post
    I think I'm just going to sell it and save up for a 338 lapua savage. By the time I pay for barrel, muzzle break, stock, threading barrel for muzzle break, ect I'm right there with what i could get a 111 in 338 lapua. I'm not in a rush to build it so I can just wait til I find one and go from there.
    dont you just hate it when that little voice inside your head that goes by the name of common sense makes you do what you really need to do and not what you want to do?......
    hang tuff..................Im kinda in the same boat
    Im selling off a gas gun in 308 so I can get me another Savage.....patience!.....
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Nandy
    The question is will a savage 330 lapua shot as good as a shilen, mcgowen, brux, etc, barrel? Will the savage trigger be as good as a timney, SSS, etc, trigger? same stands for an aftermarket stock... I dont claim to know the answers to all of those but I dont see a lot of shooters buying oem stocks, barrels and triggers for their competition rigs.
    However if hunting hogs is what you are looking to do with the rifle then all you have to do (is this is not the large shank action) is do a barrel/bolthead change to a smaller caliber. Maybe a magazine change..

It is up to you, I dont think that rifle will fetch you over $400 as it is, I might be wrong. Whatever you choose, I wish you luck...

seanhagerty
    Put a brake on that barrel. I shot my 300rum before the brake and it rocked my fillings loose. With the brake, I love it. I am going after a mile shot with this thing.

Basic Member
    It is a large shank action

Nandy
    Large shank does limits your options.

JCalhoun
    You could probably turn it into a .375 H&H.

Basic Member
    Well I am not really interested in the 300 rum. I can put a 26" varmint profile new savage take off 300 rum barrel on it for $100. I could go 338 RUM which will perform essentially the same as a 338 LM. Honestly though, I am not planning to make this a target rifle. I want a hunting rifle to shoot hogs with up to about 500 yards. I have other rifles that can do this already, so I can't really justify the cost right now.

Nandy
    Then either make it a belt magnum since you have the bolthead or sell it.)(

Basic Member
    Keep the action! Build what you want! Prices are going up all the time. When you really have the Savage "bug", no "out of the box" rifle will do.

21. 07-31-2013, 10:42 AM
    Reason
    Rule Violation - Soliticing outside of classifieds

22. 07-31-2013, 11:09 AM
    Reason
    Rule Violation - Soliticing outside of classifieds

Ya know guys, you all should know the rules by now for dealing outside the classifieds in the open forum. If not you need to re-read the rules. I was watching this thread closely and knew I shoulda locked it once the op mentioned he might just sell it, but I let it go cause nobody crossed the line at that time and were just giving the op different scenarios. I go to work and BAM, guys start trying to buy it when it isn't even listed for sale! It is just a shame that this keeps happening. To the original poster, sorry someone had to ruin your thread. Just be sure if/when you decide to sell it that it gets listed in the correct place.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member
    I apologize. I was not using this as an advertisement. I was just trying to figure out what my options with it would be as I had no desire to use it as is. I decided the 338 build and expense wasn't for me and chose to sell it. I tried to find a way to delete/close this thread myself like you can do on some forums, but I couldn't find a way. I was going to get rid of it because I saw it heading in the wrong direction, and I didn't want the mods to think I intended for that to happen. It is posted for sale in the correct area. If you don't mind deleting/locking this thread, I would appreciate it.

As per your request it's locked now.
    Last edited by Apache; 08-01-2013 at 12:20 AM.