Thread: Suggestions for a rear folding leaf sight on my 99

FancyFred

Suggestions for a rear folding leaf sight on my 99

I want to put a folding rear leaf sight on my Savage 99 that has just a blank in it now. It's drilled and tapped for scope mounts/rings and already has a vintage Weaver K3 on top.

I am thinking it would be nice to get a folding rear leaf sight.

Is there a specific Lyman or Marbles model number someone can recommend?

My other 99 has the lyman tang mounted sight, but, it too could use a folding rear sight. My lyman needs some TLC and I'd like to keep it in shooting condition while a gunsmith who specializes in Lyman sights fixes it.

Thoughts?

davemuzz
    Get a Lyman rear folding leaf sight. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/516...levates-to-445 This type of sight came standard on a Winchester Model 88 Lever gun I bought new back in 1972 and still own today. IMHO these are the best open rear sights that you can see and use. They make them in different heights so measure before you buy one, should you choose this type.

Dave

An early folding rear sight for the model 99 would be a Lyman #6 but they're pretty costly if you can find one. Theres always a few guys fighting over one on Ebay from time to time.

I know a guy that fixes Marbles tang sights but not sure if he's ever done Lymans, he's got lots of parts for Marbles tang sights but sadly that doesn't help your problem with a Lyman.
    Savage- "never say never".

FancyFred
    I am not going to try and resurect a poorly maintained #6 sight for use on a very nicely kept 99.

I think I'll just go with the modern Lyman and be done with it. It fits, it works, its made in the USA, and it actually looks nice.

My scoped 99 has the round forearm and looks like its developing a crack in the stock. I am going to see about getting the stock either repaired/refinished or see if I can scrounge up a replacement.

After cleaning up the Weaver K3-1, the newer 99 is working out pretty well for a deer rifle for longer distances.