Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Caldwell lead sled or higher mag scope?

trigger-finger

By the way. I am shooting 1/4 " MOA at 100 yards cold bore. As my sport barrel heats up the groups tend to open up or I start to flinch from recoil.

I don't really seem to be getting the information I am looking for....
    Last edited by trigger-finger; 08-07-2013 at 11:44 AM.

pitsnipe
    trigger,

I apologize if I misunderstood your dilemma. All this said, I guess I can offer what glass I have found effective for shooting MIL/MOA at targets beyond 600 yards, to the capability of my hand loaded .308, out to 1100 yards. (hit a crow at 417 yards in a steel shoot this spring cold bore) I use a Leupold Mk 4 6.5-20 X 50 LRT ILL TMR M5 (had the M1 dials converted to M5) SFP, as I wanted a reticle that didn't change in subtension with magnification. And knowing that, I range estimate at 20 power as the scope is sub tended at that power. I wouldn't go with much less in glass than that. Many other options/brands/and prices but it works for me at the price I paid for it. Good luck and good shootin.

thomae
    Cameraland's Deal of the day for today (Aug 7) appears to meet trigger-finger's previously stated scope requirements.

trigger-finger
    Thank you pitsnipe. I absolutely wish I could afford a Leupold with the features I want. So because that scooe is not FFP subtension do change with magnification and are only accurate at 20x max zoom, right. Thus the need for higher quality glass as all of your ranging is done at 20x range where lower quality scooes will start to loose light, clarity and field of view. Got it. If you had a choice would you still choose MIL/MOA scope? Any advantages over MIL/MIL other than the math being easier?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

trigger-finger
    Thomae also thanks, perfect choice meets all my requirements exactly. The Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP looks great and is in simular price range as Bushnell 6-25x50 FFP. For $799?
    ****, I thought this scope was out of my price range. Which is better Vortex ir Bushnell?

trigger-finger
    I may have to pull the trigger on that deal of the day. Good looking thomae....

pitsnipe
    Quote Originally Posted by trigger-finger View Post
    Thank you pitsnipe. I absolutely wish I could afford a Leupold with the features I want. So because that scooe is not FFP subtension do change with magnification and are only accurate at 20x max zoom, right. Thus the need for higher quality glass as all of your ranging is done at 20x range where lower quality scooes will start to loose light, clarity and field of view. Got it. If you had a choice would you still choose MIL/MOA scope? Any advantages over MIL/MIL other than the math being easier?

My scope is MIL (TMR) MIL (M-5 dials) I was speaking MIL/MOA to mean a unit of measurement, i.e. shot MOA at 850 yards so that was an 8.5" group. As for ranging, I have a laser for most of it. But like to "dabble" in using the 1 MIL increment to determine distance to target then verify/clarify with the laser. Plus the laser poops out around 900 yards most times so then use the MIL's.
    Good luck in your scope search.

airdale
    Quote Originally Posted by trigger-finger View Post
    Thomae also thanks, perfect choice meets all my requirements exactly. The Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP looks great and is in simular price range as Bushnell 6-25x50 FFP. For $799?
    ****, I thought this scope was out of my price range. Which is better Vortex ir Bushnell?

Vortex, I have one. After sticker shock you'll love it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123