Thread: Just bought a Savage 110E .30-06...

Basic Member

Just bought a Savage 110E .30-06...

I took one of my early AM trips to my LGS, just to look around. In a used rifle rack, I saw a Savage 110E Series K .30-06 for $250...Bought it immediately. It has an old TASCO 4x scope and see-through mounts, both of which will be replaced. (I have an old US made Weaver 6X that is looking for a ride, and I think this would be a good combination.)

About 5 weeks ago, I had a layaway on a Remington 700 ADL .30-06, and after a few weeks, changed my mind on it because I wanted an older Savage. The most accurate centerfire rifle I ever had was an old .30-06 Savage 110 that I got for about $150 in an Army Navy store about 30 years ago...of course I sold it.

This 110E has nice sights, the rear is a Weaver ramp that looks like it won't get in the way of medium rings...I happen to have a pair of those around somewhere, along with bases...It has a nice hardwood stock with pressed checkering...some of the finish gone, blue is near perfect, bore is great.

The SN is E107681...I'm thinking it's 1970's, but that's as close as I get.

I will probably take a look at adjusting the trigger just a bit, and put the new scope etc on it and an old military style leather sling but it's going to stay stock other than that.

These old 110's are sleepers. I feel very lucky to have found it when I had the cash to buy it.

Have not owned an '06 in some years now, and I felt like it's time I got back to it.

mark
    Last edited by dogngun; 10-07-2015 at 10:05 AM.

JCalhoun
    Great story.

Basic Member
    Added Weaver 1 piece mount and Weaver steel tube 6X scope using Weaver Quad Lock rings. I just finished the installation and took a pic or two. The stock has dings and shows wear, and I have ordered a used Savage 110 stock in walnut, with cut checkering and factory recoil pad rather than the birch and pressed stock that's on it now...Will see how that works out...Here's the pics...

Closer shot of the scope and worn spots on the stock...

Going to replace the sling with an old leather military type sling and probably replace the rear sight with a fold-down Williams.

I'm looking forward to shooting this one.

mark
    Last edited by dogngun; 08-02-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Hey Dogngun that's a beauty! Classic and classy! The receiver and barrel look absolutely great- and us guitar players call finish wear "character". Maybe I'll run into you in the woods around here- would love to see that gun in person. $250.00?? Man what a deal! Congrats and of course let us know how she shoots!
    Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

Basic Member
    Nearly all of my guitars have "character" too. I'm old and dinged up and I'm more comfortable with my stuff in similar condition.
    I have had a few Savage 110's and also have a 99E in .308 sitting around.

mark

Mach2
    Wow, can't believe I missed this thread. I really like that rifle. I even like the fixed power scope. I have several fixed powers myself. They weigh less than vari powered scopes. zThat stock though. keep that baby. They ain't making any more of them.

Mach2
    http://www.gtrstore.com/store/guitar...-vintage-white

Here's an old dinged up beauty and it's brand new. People pay big bucks for scratched up stuff.

Those dings on your birch Savage are character marks.

Basic Member
    Mach2, I generally find with variable scopes that it's always on the wrong setting if I need it fast, so I keep it around 5 or 6 anyway...Fixed scope - nothing to go wrong, better image, 1 less thing to think about.

mark

Mach2
    Which walnut stock did you order? There have been several times I was going to order a walnut stock for one of my short action Stevens rifles but the long wait to get it turned me off. Impatient I guess.
    I have several birch stocks on rimfires and over the years have learned to appreciate how well they work. I never get upset dinging a birch.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach2 View Post
    Which walnut stock did you order? There have been several times I was going to order a walnut stock for one of my short action Stevens rifles but the long wait to get it turned me off. Impatient I guess.
    I have several birch stocks on rimfires and over the years have learned to appreciate how well they work. I never get upset dinging a birch.

I found a used walnut stock with cut checkering from a 110 long action and bought it online...has not arrived yet, supposed to be due by the end of this week...Very dark wood, great shape and factory recoil pad installed. I think it was $30 or $40.

I do have the leather military style sling on it now, too...I'm thinking I like it the the way it is. Might just put that other stock on my parts pile (My whole house, really...)
    Last edited by dogngun; 08-12-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Mach2
    Yea I guess it is a museum piece stock because it isn't pillared. If it were pillared it would be a nice stock. I wonder if you could install pillars?

JCalhoun
    I installed pillars in a laminated wood stock once. Since I already had a drill press I bought the pillar installation pilots, bits, and pillars from Brownells. The Rem 700 and Savage 10/110 use the same pillars. You will need to epoxy the pillars in place.

Basic Member
    I have never really had a "pillared" stock, so I don't know the difference. I shimmed the action to float it as I have been doing for almost 40 years now...seems to work just fine.

FWIW, the walnut stock never showed up...trying to get a refund on it and will leave this one as is.

mark

I am not sure that is a 110E, they E part stood for Economy and yours has checkering, and every 110E I have seen has had a white pine stock, that looks like a 2X4 with a few recesses in it.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Mach2
    In this forum you're not supposed to be happy with it. If it's blued we durakote it. If it's a wood stock we order a Tupperware. If it's a 26" barrel we cut it down to 20" and put a suppressor on it. When we finish the rifle we order another one and start over.

Quote Originally Posted by dogngun View Post
    I have never really had a "pillared" stock, so I don't know the difference. I shimmed the action to float it as I have been doing for almost 40 years now...seems to work just fine.

mark

Basic Member
    Mach2 :

Sorry. I guess that's why I have only 24 posts here since 2006...

The walnut stuck arrived today, about 10 days after it should have. The guy didn't bother to send it for 8 days after I bought it, then complained when I told him I wanted a refund unless it got here within the next few days...We both got lucky - it's a really nice piece of straight grain walnut, cut checkering and a factory recoil pad. Has 1 ding underneath the fore end that I can pretty well cover up. This will really set off the good old deep blue of this old rifle, and I will just install the sling studs from the hardwood stock. Seems like a perfect fit, but I probably won't get around to it for a week or so...have oral surgery coming up and probably won't feel like doing anything for a while. NOT looking forward to that.

mark

Basic Member
    OK: Final pics. Walnut stock is installed, as is the military type sling, Weaver 6X fixed scope and Weaver mount and rings. I removed the rear sight - Williams WGOS - and I'm looking for a fold down type rear sight that will fit the 2 tapped holes.

There are aluminum shims raising the action slightly, floating the barrel and making better contact surfaces between the action and stock. I have been using the shims for about 30 years now...the Finnish MN rifles used the same system, and it works great, and is easily adjustable. Trigger is maybe 2.5 pounds, breaks very clean and crisp. Recoil pad is factory. Walnut stock is also factory, has real cut checkering. Looking for a steel trigger guard and rear sight, but it's mainly ready for the range...as soon as this surgery thing stops hurting.

ADDED: I'm looking for a rear sight that fits the factory tapped holes and uses a folding leaf type sight...simple and folds flat. Have not found any such thing...Lyman makes the sight, but not the base. Any help, experts?
    Thanks.
    mark
    Last edited by dogngun; 08-29-2013 at 11:26 AM.

Mach2
    Quote Originally Posted by dogngun View Post

There are aluminum shims raising the action slightly, floating the barrel and making better contact surfaces between the action and stock. I have been using the shims for about 30 years now...the Finnish MN rifles used the same system, and it works great, and is easily adjustable. .

mark
    I have a Boyds stock coming that I am putting an action into. I will use the same system of shims to bed it for a while.
    I see you have that scope mounted nice and low.
    Nice to see the earlier Savage rifles get some foto ops in here. I wasn't a Savage fan till 12 years ago so I missed out on an earlier era when they put out some quality firearms. They only did wood stocks back then. Can't beat wood. I wouldn't mind owning an older Savage stock.

Basic Member
    Send those sights my way! I just picked up a 110e for $245.00 from a local pawn shop and it has beautiful grain after I refinished it but the sights are missing. I'll trade you some round receiver(what I believe are weaver bases) for them which is what is on my gun. I'm replacing them with a one piece base soon. BTW that new stock looks tons better.
    Check out my gun http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...grain-came-out

goinssr
    There will be no love between your shoulder and that "recoil pad".

Basic Member
    Also got to looking a little closer, I might be wrong, but the older 70's Savages, used a smooth nut with only one hole in it, unlike the slotted nut on yours. Someone MIGHT have swapped barrels on it.

Too bad Savage doesn't keep records on the old one, they could tell you what caliber it left the factory in, if ya care.

Nice find and glad to see another 30-06 shooter!