Thread: CCI Small Rifle Military Primers #41

Uncle Jack

CCI Small Rifle Military Primers #41

I just got the following notification from Midway:

Hello Jack,

Per your request for notification, we received the following:

CCI Small Rifle Military Primers #41 Box of 1000 (10 Trays of 100)

Supplies may be limited and are first come first serve. Don't wait until they're gone.

To view this item, click on the link in the next section.

Thanks for Your Business,

Larry Potterfield
    Founder and CEO of MidwayUSA

------------------------
    Directions:
    Follow this link to view the product.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=170074

Senderofan

Re: CCI Small Rifle Military Primers #41

I just got a message from Natchez for the same primers...$36 and change. Hopefully this is a very good trend for our reloading futures!!

Wayne

possum1

You do know they are MAGNUM primer's right ?

Uncle Jack

They always have been. Magnum small rifle primers primarily for .223 in auto and semi-auto rifles. Heavier construction to help prevent slam fires and enough fire to reliably ignite ball powder under adverse conditions.

uj

possum1

Do you use them in bolt rifles frequently ? The reason I ask, I posted on it somewhere, I have 800 or so and am kinda leary of using them or don't want to take time to work a load up.

Uncle Jack

Should be no problem as long as you properly develop your load using them. They are especially well adopted to any ball powder......BLC(2), 748.

uj

Basic Member

I've had 3K of CCI 41 sitting in my drawer. I don't want to use them because I don't know how they compared to CCI 400's as far as accuracy.

I never realized they were that hard to come by, I swapped some LP for them about 6 months ago.

Dolomite

possum1

That's the reason I haven't used mine. Thought the accuracy wouldn't be as good as 400's. I did get some load data from CCI for them, all ball powder, they did say they would be alright with Varget at starting load. Told me that they haven't done any testing on extruded powder's, that don't make sense to me as much extruded there is on the market. Don't know why ball powder don't appeal to me, my reloading mentor that's all he used. I just like the looks and case capacity of extruded powder's.

brianinca

Winchester primers are quite warm as well, for the same reason since Winchester USED to be a ball powder vendor (now they're just a brand). That's all I use in bolt guns or gas guns because they're usually widely available and I don't like messing with happy recipes.

There's no deficiency I've ever heard of in the #34 and #41 primers, but they're certainly marketed well for a primer that is nothing special. The whole myth that they prevent slamfires has got to be one of the greatest viral marketing jobs ever. Magnum cups are slightly thicker on SOME brands of primers, which doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how much ignition power they might have.

If your receiver bridge/firing pin on an M1 or M14 is enough out of spec to have a slamfire, it doesn't matter WHAT primer you're using, you are bummed.

As for extruded powder performance, huh? A primer is a primer is a primer, if it lights ball powder on fire it will light stick. Any time you change primers you have to work the load up again, otherwise all your accuracy tuning goes right out the window. If you've got a ton of them it would be worth it to work up something, for sure.

The BR guys see it go out the window when they change lot numbers! I just talked to a friend of mine Wednesday, his wife framed his .069" 100 yard 22 Hornet group from December. He's one who's showed me his logbook with primer variations in lot changes, I guess a lot of those guys keep track like that.

Regards,
    Brian in CA