Thread: savage 220 rear trigger guard screw

weedsnager

savage 220 rear trigger guard screw

i just bought a new 220 and i was cleaning, and making sure everything was tight on the gun, and the rear trigger screw does not tighted, it just spins in place, this isnt normal is it?

thomae
    I don't own a 220, but if it is similar to a 110/10 rifle, the rear trigger guard screw (that's what you are discussing, correct? You said "rear trigger screw" in the text of your post) does not hold the action in. It only holds in the trigger guard. It is similar to a self-tapping tapered wood screw and screws into the stock material.

If you tried to torque it as tightly as the action screws, you have stripped the hole. You will need to fill the hole with an appropriate material (epoxy, sawdust and glue, etc...) depending on your stock material, redrill a pilot hole and then screw it in again.

weedsnager
    rear trigger guard screw is what it is labeled in the manual. i didn't put any torque what so ever on the screw, i put the wrench in there and turned it, and it never stopped turning, the screw was loose to start and never gained any resistance as i started to turn.

thomae
    Yup, You'll need to fill and drill. Not too hard, and a hand drill for the pilot hole should do just fine.

weedsnager
    What should i fill the hole with? Epoxy?

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by weedsnager View Post
    What should i fill the hole with? Epoxy?
    That sounds reasonable to me.

Here's an idea: When you fill the hole with epoxy, you could coat your screw with release agent and stick it in the hole with the wet epoxy, then you could back it out when the epoxy hardened and you would already have your threaded hole. Any reason that would not work?

Emler's Wood Glue will work to. Just fill the existing hole with it, let it cure overnight, then drill a 1/8" pilot hole. Basically you just need something pliable to take up a minute amount of gap so the screw threads have something to bite into. It's not a load bearing screw and isn't critical for anything so it doesn't need to be a super secure fastener.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain