Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a range queen help

Bobo

Building a range queen help

Hey y'all, I have a couple questions. I am in the process of getting prices of the range queen/shut up the loud idiot rifle that I am going to to build soon. I am aiming for it to be a .25-06 with a 28" or 30" bull barrel. Savage action 18182(left port, right bolt, single shot). Tactical stock of some description. Basically I want a rifle that'll make the 660 yard shot in my buddy's back yard, but I'm also not afraid to let it get a little scratched/dirty. I tough chic that I can clean up and make look pretty if I want to. So, having said that,

1. Best place to get the savage action 18182?
    2. Does anyone make a 30" bull barrel for less than $400?
    3. Where can I get a rough cut stock that I finish myself?
    4. Are there any good donor guns to start with?
    5. Any other suggestions?

Basic Member
    1. NSS check the vendor classifieds

2. NSS again maybe

3. Boyds

4. Any savage/stephens action IMO

5. I can't think of anything now, I dont have any experience with 25-06 there may be some other calibers that might be a bit more of the extreme target breeding like the 6BR, 6.5 Norma, 6.5 creedmore, 260,....Im just a 22-250 and 308 shooter anyway.
    Last edited by missed; 07-27-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Bobo
    Aight, cool. Thank you

Bobo
    Stupid question. What does NSS stand for?

Basic Member
    North land shooter supply Jim is awesome to do business with.

Bobo
    Thank you

Basic Member
    You're welcome, his info is in the vendor classifieds

Basic Member
    all the 30" barrel will do is add weight. a 26" would be plenty for that cartridge.
    as for your choice of cartridge consider the 6.5x06 as opposed to the 25.
    there is a much better selection of bullets in 6.5.

Bobo
    Aight, I'll do it. Thanks

Basic Member
    For 660 yards off the bench there are a number of rounds that will eat a 25-06's lunch, day in day out. If you want to build a 25-06 for the sake of building one than more power to you, but do you have your heart set on that round?

Do you have the action referenced?

Glass?

Is this specifically a safe queen/bench gun? Will you be doing any varminting, hunting, "tactical" style shooting from bags, bipods, improvised rests, unknown distances?

Are you set on a short action, single shot or may you want the option of a repeater down the road?

Weight limits?

It sounds like a hell of a project and a blast to build/shoot- help us narrow down what you're looking to do.

FWIW here's a PTA with a 30" Criterion in a Stockade Prairie Dog/Tactical:

Last edited by mattri; 07-28-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Bobo
    I am open to rounds. What are you referring to? As far as a safe/bench queen, yes. No hunting of any discription unless while shooting it something tastey looking walks out in front of me. No intentions of hunting with it, so weight is not an issue. I plan on putting a bi-pod on it and shooting from either a table or the ground. As far as the short action, yes, I am set on one shot with no option for a repeater later down the road. I have an edge chambered in .30-06 that is my hunting rifle that I make double as my range queen. I have made this 660yd shot with it many times and now I want a range queen that is exactly what I want. I want to take all the crazy ass ideas in my twisted little brain and make them a reality. As far as glass goes, not a clue yet. Haven't gotten that far.

Bobo
    One other thing, I know that this is kinda stupid, but I don't want a metric round.

Bobo
    And that is basically what I want, just blue.

Basic Member
    So just punching paper at 660?

Oh man that opens a can of worms.

223, 243, 6x45, 6.5x47, 6mm BR, 6mm Dasher, 260, 6.5x47, 6.5x284, 284, 280, 308 and that's just the tip of the iceberg, leaving out anything too esoteric.

For paper at that kind of a mid range you'll get 10 opinions for every 4 shooters you ask.

If it were me, just shooting paper, at that range and even out to 1k maybe, I'd say 260 rem. Tons of load data/components and a lot of versatility. Decent barrel life and wind bucking, plus if you ever decide to hunt with it there are plenty of suitable bullets for that. Hits harder than a 243 (6mm)and bucks the wind better than a 308, whats not to love?

As far as stocks go I'd take a hard look at Stockade's Prairie Dog/Tactical. It has the three action screws for the PTA you're looking at, a steel frame, composite cover and an internal bedding block. Very difficult to screw up a platform like that.
    Last edited by mattri; 07-28-2013 at 11:35 PM.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    One other thing, I know that this is kinda stupid, but I don't want a metric round.
    Would you please elaborate? I understand the first half of your sentence, but don't understand the second half.

Basic Member
    .260 would be my choice, I think my next build will be a .260

Bobo
    I would like a .308 or .260 or something like that.

Bobo
    Ok, 2 people have said .260, sell me on it. Why .260 over .25-06? Strictly from the versatility of it or the ballistic aspect? I don't know a lot about the .260, that's why I ask.

JCalhoun
    .260 is a 6.5mm bore but it will do what you want very well as will a .308W.

Bobo
    Ok, how about the .30-06?

Bobo
    And also, what part of Moblie? I grew up just north of Till Mans corner

Basic Member
    The 30-06 would work fine, as would a dozen other rounds. What you gain in the 260 is a ballistic edge due to the fact that it will shoot the excellent variety of 6.5, sorry-.264- bullets. Match grade ammo is available if you don't reload, and if you do components are easy to come by, Lapua makes brass etc etc etc.

JCalhoun
    Bobo,

I'm in Saraland.

Bobo
    Aight, that makes since.

Bobo
    And Saraland, ahhhhhhhhhhhh, the gators, right? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! I loved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast