Thread: Stevens 200 Build

452b300

Stevens 200 Build

Hello Im very new, and bought a Stevens 200 3006 to build a 6.5x284, its a center feed magazine and I cant find a syn. stock for it? also will I have trouble feeding the 6.5x284 into the magazine, do I need to replace the bottom metal or is this possible? Thank you in advance.

din
    Any stock that fits a Savage long-action should work.

452b300
    I just went though midways listings and Choate, bell and Carlson all read for staggered feed actions only, my magazine is fixed to the stock.

din
    Check out Stocky's and Boyd's, they both have stocks available that will work. I believe Stockade may as well, but I'm not 100% on that, so you can give them a call or else one of the other guys will swing by with more info.

452b300
    Thanks what about the bottom metal? I like a blind magazine, but can I get rid of the center feed mag? and replace it with a detachable or hinged mag?
    Last edited by 452b300; 07-25-2013 at 01:44 AM.

Team Savage
    Since you have a Savage LA, you can make any of the older Savage SF and aftermarket stocks work. The stock hole spacing is the same for the old LA staggerfeed and the newer LA centerfeed. You will have to find a way to hold the CF magazine box in place since the blind stock magazine well is usually oversized in a SF stock. Bedding the magazine box in the stock well will work. I place 4 small balls of plumbers epoxy putty in each corner of the stock well. Place a business card between the bolt and magazine lips and tape the box in the correct position to the action. Then attach the action to the stock pressing the magazine box into the soft putty. Don't forget to use release agent. Remove after about 10 minutes and trim the excess putty before is completely sets. So a Choate, B&C or SF aftermarket stock are viable options.

You can purchase the DBM bottom metal frame and magazine bottom cap. The bottom cap snaps onto your current magazine box with follower. Sharp Shooter Supply (SSS) has the parts listed on thier web site. SSS also make unfinished stocks with the CF DBM cut-out for your action. You can purchase the bottom metal parts from Savage Arms Parts at an inflated price. Stockade Gunstocks may also stock these parts.

Boyd's now offers 3 stock styles in walnut or laminated with the DBM cut-out for a Savage LA CF. Give Kevin a call at Stockade, I know he makes composite CF blind magazine stocks for the Savage. But not sure if he offers stocks with the CF drop box magazine cut-out. Another option is to purchase a Savage factory CF stock with the DBM cut-out. In that case, I would look for a LA Accustock.

If you are a paid member on this site, you can view the classified's. If patient and watchful you can often pick up the parts other members are selling for a fair price. You could also make a Want-to-buy (WTB) post to see if a member is willing to sell you the spare parts you need.
    Last edited by jpdown; 07-25-2013 at 11:49 AM.

Long action Savages are sorely underrepresented in the sub-custom aftermarket stock world.

Manners & McMillan will build to suit...but it'll cost ya, and you'll have to wait.

452b300
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    Since you have a Savage LA, you can make any of the older Savage SF and aftermarket stocks work. The stock hole spacing is the same for the old LA staggerfeed and the newer LA centerfeed. You will have to find a way to hold the CF magazine box in place since the blind stock magazine well is usually oversized in a SF stock. Bedding the magazine box in the stock well will work. I place 4 small balls of plumbers epoxy putty in each corner of the stock well. Place a business card between the bolt and magazine lips and tape the box in the correct position to the action. Then attach the action to the stock pressing the magazine box into the soft putty. Don't forget to use release agent. Remove after about 10 minutes and trim the excess putty before is completely sets. So a Choate, B&C or SF aftermarket stock are viable options.

You can purchase the DBM bottom metal frame and magazine bottom cap. The bottom cap snaps onto your current magazine box with follower. Sharp Shooter Supply (SSS) has the parts listed on thier web site. SSS also make unfinished stocks with the CF DBM cut-out for your action. You can purchase the bottom metal parts from Savage Arms Parts at an inflated price. Stockade Gunstocks may also stock these parts.

Boyd's now offers 3 stock styles in walnut or laminated with the DBM cut-out for a Savage LA CF. Give Kevin a call at Stockade, I know he makes composite CF blind magazine stocks for the Savage. But not sure if he offers stocks with the CF drop box magazine cut-out. Another option is to purchase a Savage factory CF stock with the DBM cut-out. In that case, I would look for a LA Accustock.

If you are a paid member on this site, you can view the classified's. If patient and watchful you can often pick up the parts other members are selling for a fair price. You could also make a Want-to-buy (WTB) post to see if a member is willing to sell you the spare parts you need.
    Thanks for your input, that's what I needed, I spoke to Jim at Northland Shooters Supply today, he also sells the bottom metal and stocks, Will I have any trouble feeding a 6.5x284 in the CF magazine?

Team Savage
    No, I currently have a Savage 6.5x284 24" factory sporter barrel on a Savage LA that started out as a 3006. I made no changes to the standard LA CF magazine box and it feeds the 284 Win. parent case without any problems. Shoots 3 shot group lights out with H4831sc and W760 with 140 gr Berger VLD hunting bullets touching the lands. You should not have any problems.
    Last edited by jpdown; 07-25-2013 at 08:17 PM.