Thread: switching brass

Basic Member

switching brass

I'm wondering how much difference I'll see switching from Hornady brass to LC in .223. My limited supply of Hornady has just about had it, and I lucked into 2K rounds of once fired LC, crimps removed, trimmed, sized and polished.
    I've been loading a max load of 25.0gr Varget under 80gr Berger VLD's, getting 3070fps. It's the load my rifle shoots the best with...one hole at 100, sub MOA at 600.
    I'm guessing at backing off the load to 23.5gr and going up from there (if necessary). I'd like to stay at 3000fps. I just have no idea how much of a difference the LC brass will make. I've always heard/read that it's thicker, but I've also read that it's not.
    Yeah, I know about backing off considerably more as a starting point, but I'm just wondering what to expect.
    Can anyone share the difference they've seen between using LC and other brass?

#10 action
    Shilen Select Match 1/7
    Choate
    Rifle Basix
    Vortex Viper PST
    Last edited by Texas Solo; 07-24-2013 at 09:53 PM.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

Basic Member
    just check the capacity to see if it matches that of your hornady brass. If not then do a load work up.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

It is infact a "stiffer" brass. thicker walls equals less inner dimensional space as well. But....you should be able to get 25gr of Varget into it (compressed load)....but as Ive stated my opinion on this one before....25grs of Varget pushing a 80gr pill is on the hot side for me, but if your not showing signs of over pressure at the primer and obviously found your sweet spot then have at it.
    IMO....neck tension will be tighter and may change your poi. Load-em up and have a look....keep us posted
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    I shoot both Horn and LC in my 223 too. While the brass weight is different I found the water capacity to be the same. I load them the same and the POI is identical at 300yd. I also segregated LC by year and weight and did not find a difference in those either. Confirm the water capacity is the same for them and if so I would also back off a little and work up the powder because according to Quickload your load is a bit warm, but not overly so (57000 psi vs 62000 max), so you do not have a lot of room for error.

Bob, I switched to Lapua brass on my 223 and haven't looked back. It's about 55 cents a pop, but after 4 firings, I still don't need to trim. I'm running 24.8 of Varget under my Berger 70's. wish I had your chamber so I could seat them out further.

davemuzz
    Yeah....switch. I doubt for the .223 that you will see any difference. That's reason #348 that the .223 is a great round to shoot at either paper....or furry things that want to get away....but can't.

Basic Member
    Thanks guys. I still have the last 200 of my Hornady loaded, so I'll have plenty of time to play.
    I think I'll go 23.5, 24.0, and 24.5. See what happens then adjust from the best of the 3.

Yeah, I know my load is a bit hot, but it shoots! Although I have to admit that scaling it back a touch would give me some peace of mind.
    Ultimately, I think I'll end up somewhere between 24.5 & 25.0. I think 24.5 will just break the 3000fps I'm looking for.

Good tip on the neck tension. I've been at .002" with the Hornady, haven't loaded any LC yet, but I'll definitely check it. Thanks.

Shoalwater....I do love my .223 Wylde chamber. My CBTO is 2.050 with 80 Bergers, and 2.547 COAL. That's just kissing the lands.
    Last edited by Texas Solo; 07-25-2013 at 10:23 PM.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

Basic Member
    Your Wylde chamber being somewhat looser than a standard 223 may cause a little more work hardening of the brass if you full length size it. Not as bad as a standard 5.56 military chamber though. Have you noticed any shorter life out of the brass with the wylde chamber? The hotter loads would probably account for more stress on the brass than the chamber dimensions though.. Just curious..
    NRA Endowment Member

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzfike View Post
    Your Wylde chamber being somewhat looser than a standard 223 may cause a little more work hardening of the brass if you full length size it. Not as bad as a standard 5.56 military chamber though. Have you noticed any shorter life out of the brass with the wylde chamber? The hotter loads would probably account for more stress on the brass than the chamber dimensions though.. Just curious..
    The difference in chambers is in the throat. The rest of the chamber is basically the same.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    Thanks, I was under the mistaken impression that the chamber itself was looser.. Good to know.
    NRA Endowment Member