Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muzzlebrake, accuracy, recoil, etc?

Deserthunter

Muzzlebrake, accuracy, recoil, etc?

Can the installation of a muzzlebrake effect accuracy, not only from an installation stand point but from changing pressures in the barrel (POI)? Are there big differences in the effectiveness of different brakes or of the intended purposes of different brakes, i.e. one kind better for benchrest, a different kind for coyote hunting, etc. I've read some of the old posts and some of the websites (JP, etc.) but would still like to hear from a few of you that have had experience with them... Also, do they need to be welded on or can they be left threaded with a cap?

ICUDIEN

Re: Muzzlebrake, accuracy, recoil, etc?

I have a 30-378 Weatherby which has a threaded on muzzle break which I don't have the guts to take off to see if there is a difference in accuracy. I do know for sure that if your a little bit shy of recoil a muzzlebrake is the way to go , but also know that a muzzlebrake drastically increases the blast!

dcloco

Depends on the design of the muzzle brake. Some are L-O-U-D....and some are just a touch louder than normal.

The 338 RUM that I built has a "painkiller" style muzzle brake on it...VERY effective. Yes, ALWAYS wear GOOD hearing protection with any firearm, let alone one with a brake on it.

Dinosdeuce

The first brake I had is on a custom hunting rifle I had built. It is a 7mmWSM that weighs just over 6 pounds with scope. I was unsure how I would like a braked rifle. After the first round it was a no brainer. The recoil is like a .243 very enjoyable. I always use hearing protection. Even when I hunt, as I rely on my sight not hearing. I now have them on my comp rifles (.308 & .223). It has nothing to do about not be able to take the recoil, but being able to spot my hits and misses and correct as needed. Have the barrel threaded to 5/8-24 and get a thread protector (cap) made to screw on if you do not want to shoot with the brake installed. My POI does not change. My opinions are as follows:
    If you are using it on a hunting rifle a brake with a radial hole design would be more efficient.
    If you are shooting prone get one with ports on the side and top to keep form kicking up dust and debris.

Now braked rifles are not any louder than none braked rifles. The gasses are redirected, so the shooter, and the ones around you will hear more of the report than you are used to.

Good luck with your decision.

hotbrass

Use a suppressor/silencer. It reduces recoil, muzzle blast and noise, and may increase accuracy. Every firearm should be suppressed! ;D

Basic Member

To me, it seems like the effectiveness of a brake goes beyond just the nature of its design. If your loads leave a lot of unburned powder ejecting from the barrel in pursuit of maximum velocity, you will benefit more from a brake. I have two autoloading 308s with modest handloads tailored not for maximum velocity, but more towards maximum efficiency. Both have brakes on them and the benefit is not very apparent to me. I see changes in POI with versus without the brakes for the same loading and I believe that is to be expected as they change the harmonics of the barrel. In my case, both of my 308 barrels are more like a sporter as opposed to a bull so harmonics play a larger roll. Just my .02 worth.

If the state I live in allowed ownership of a suppressor, I would have one just because I think the physics behind them justifies the cost of having one to play with.

Hoot
    In [b]Theory[/b], there is no difference between theory and practice. In [b]Practice[/b], there is.

firemachine69

Quote Originally Posted by hotbrass
    Use a suppressor/silencer. It reduces recoil, muzzle blast and noise, and may increase accuracy. Every firearm should be suppressed! ;D

Some of us *cough*canadians*cough* (;D) are not allowed to own or use "scary" silencers. :D

McKinneyMike

Quote Originally Posted by firemachine69
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbrass

Some of us *cough*canadians*cough* (;D) are not allowed to own or use "scary" silencers. :D
    Some of us *cough* Americans *cough* are not allowed to own or use "scary" silencers either :) Some states are more understanding than others it seems.

Deserthunter

hotbrass,

While I would give anything to live in a society that made certain all weapons wore a suppressor, I'm not ready to give up the right to lock my front door..... The license required allows the powers that be access to your home at anytime day or night without notice...... Besides, it's a little pricey for me..... lol......

hotbrass

Quote Originally Posted by Deserthunter
    hotbrass,

While I would give anything to live in a society that made certain all weapons wore a suppressor, I'm not ready to give up the right to lock my front door..... The license required allows the powers that be access to your home at anytime day or night without notice...... Besides, it's a little pricey for me..... lol......
    Uh... that is not true. There is no federal license to own a legally transferable NFA weapon. If you think you know what you are talking about, please point me to the applicable federal law.

I believe you have the legal ownership of a transferable NFA weapon confused with an FFL, or SOT, or a non-transferable NFA weapon.

Deserthunter

If I'm wrong I appoligize, I was alway under the impression that to own a suppressor (Silencer) you must first have a at least a partial ( I'm not certain which portion ) of a FFL..... My son has applied, for that partial FFL more than a year ago now and is still waiting for approval..... I believe that as part of those regs you give up the right to turn away, at any time Feds from your home...... Am I wrong?
    In any case, I'm interested in which Muzzle Brake I might have installed..... Thanks,

McKinneyMike

The ATF can go anywhere, at any time, period!

not a federal license, fed registration on class 3 devices.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

hotbrass

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    not a federal license, fed registration on class 3 devices.
    Show me where it says ATFE or any police can knock your door down without cause only because you own a legal, transferable, NFA weapon. It is not true and it doesnt exist.

If you break the law and they have a warrant, then they can come get you anytime, but that is not exlusive to NFA items.

hotbrass

Quote Originally Posted by McKinneyMike
    The ATF can go anywhere, at any time, period!
    That is true of everyone. Doesnt mean its legal.

hotbrass

If I'm wrong I appoligize, I was alway under the impression that to own a suppressor (Silencer) you must first have a at least a partial ( I'm not certain which portion ) of a FFL..... My son has applied, for that partial FFL more than a year ago now and is still waiting for approval..... I believe that as part of those regs you give up the right to turn away, at any time Feds from your home...... Am I wrong?
    In any case, I'm interested in which Muzzle Brake I might have installed..... Thanks,
    FFL is for dealers.

Anyone that can legally own a firearm can own an NFA weapon. The only difference is the NFA weapons are registered and their transfer is restricted. All you have to do is fill out a Form 4 to transfer a NFA weapon, like a silencer, machine gun, SBR, SBS, and pay $200 for a tax stamp. What you get back after a background check is your Form 4 with a stamp on it. It is referred to as a tax return or just a Form 4. You then take that Form and make a copy of the front and put the original away in a safe or safe deposit box. Nobody is entitiled to see that form except the ATFE. There is no burden of proof of ownership except with the ATFE. You are permitted to carry you NFA weapon whever and however you wish, as long as it is legal to carry a weapon. Some states do not permit NFA weapons or may restrict them.

The federal regs are very sparse and are very easy read. Thus lies the problem with some folks because the ATFE can, and will, interpret them as they want.

I apologize for going off topic, this is the wrong forum for this type of discussion. So I suggest that if you are intereted in any NFA weapons that you seek out the appropriate forums and learn about all the fun stuff most people wrongly think are illegal to own.

Carry on.

Deserthunter

I'm off topic also, I started reading the regs and a discussion of them, I found this, just a small portion, [quote][/ NFA WEAPONS AND THE 4TH AMENDMENT

As to surrendering your 4th amendment (search and seizure)
    rights, this is definitely true when one gets a Federal Firearms
    License. The law allows the ATF to inspect your records and
    inventory once every 12 months without any cause, and at any
    point during the course of a bona fide criminal investigation (18
    USC sec. 923(g)). They may inspect without warning during
    business hours. The only modification of the above pertains to
    the C&R FFL (type 03) where ATF must schedule the inspection,
    (C&R FFL holders do not have business hours) and they must have
    the inspection at their office nearest the C&R FFL holders
    premises, if the holder so requests. ATF may look around the
    licensed premises for other weapons not on your records. This
    means they take the position that if your licensed premises are
    your home they may search it, as part of the annual compliance
    inspection. The constitutionality of the warrantless
    "administrative search" of licensees provided for in the Gun
    Control Act has been upheld by the US Supreme Court, see U.S. v.
    Biswell, 406 U.S. 311 (1972). Biswell was partially overturned
    by Congress by 1986 changes to the requirements for a warrant
    under the GCA, but the administrative search provisions remain.

In addition, if one is also a SOT, ATF claims to have the
    right to enter onto your business premises, during business
    hours, to verify compliance with the NFA. Their regulation to
    that effect is found at 27 CFR sec. 179.22. The regulation is
    apparently based upon 26 USC sec. 7606:
    quote]

This is only a small portion of the article, but as I read it, the ATF needs no warrant....
    This is the link to the article.....
    http://www.recguns.com/Sources/IIF1.html

Thanks,

hotbrass

Thats all good information, but it only applies to dealers. A person with an FFL is a dealer.

I do not have a FFL. I am not a dealer. I am not held to the same standards as an FFL.

I cannot read the reference because my work is blocking it. But what you cited has nothing to do with private individuals who legally own NFA weapons. The BATFE has no right to search or seize any NFA weapon from an idividual without a warrant, which would only be obtained by probable cause. So if the police and BATFE come and knock on your door and you dont answer it, tough. If they come with a search and arrest warrant and you dont answer the door, they will use forcible entry. But at that point you probably broke the law anyway, and you know it, and you shoud have your door broken down and be in custody along with all your weapons because you are probably a criminal.

Carry on!

Deserthunter

I'm still no closer to finding a muzzlebrake. The end of my McGowan barrel measures .803" (28" long). Does the gunsmith turn and thread the barrel down the appropriate length then build a cap to fit along with the muzzlebrake? That means that I need to send the entire weapon so that if I purchase a brake that needs to be "level" it can be threaded the exact length, correct?

I really like the design that directs all the gases to the sides and angled rearward. I imagine it's the loudest but looks like it will really get the job done without kicking up dust from the desert floor.....

hotbrass

You can take your barrel off and any good gunsmith should be capable of threading your muzzle and fitting a brake. I have had several barrels threaded(for you know what) and the most I paid was $50.

I had a friend that was a machinist do several barrels for me at no charge(best kind of friend to have.) I just had to be there while he worked on them or it wouldnt get done. After all the BS'ing, it usually only took him about 15 minutes. 10 minutes setup and 5 minutes cutting.

If you leave the action on, it takes quite a lot longer to set up because you have to indicate the bore at both ends to center the barrel. You cannot rely on the bore being in the center of the barrel, as I found out. Ruger was the worst in that respect.

McKinneyMike

I'm still no closer to finding a muzzlebrake. The end of my McGowan barrel measures .803" (28" long). Does the gunsmith turn and thread the barrel down the appropriate length then build a cap to fit along with the muzzlebrake? That means that I need to send the entire weapon so that if I purchase a brake that needs to be "level" it can be threaded the exact length, correct?

I really like the design that directs all the gases to the sides and angled rearward. I imagine it's the loudest but looks like it will really get the job done without kicking up dust from the desert floor.....
    Your smith would thread the end of your barrel to the thread size that matches the brake threads. I too prefer the side exhaust muzzle brakes as brakes with holes around the perimeter will blow dirt and sand into your face if you shoot prone at all.
    Of the brakes that are currently available, I prefer the designs of Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge, Jim See of Center Shot Rifles, Nate Dagley at Straight Shot Gunsmithing and although I have not see one Kirby Allen's Painkiller muzzle brakes sound very similar and are highly regarded by many on the Long Range Hunting forums.

Muzzle brakes are loud. Hearing protection should always be used regardless though, as I am sure that you are already aware. Good luck in your search and any of the above mentioned brakes i am sure would satisfy your needs in spades.

Deserthunter

McKinneyMike ----

I looked up all the "smiths" you mentioned, boy are they busy..... If I remember, all of them are swamped, not taking any work until they get caught up..... Several still sell "Brakes" but you might have to wait a year for them to install one of them..... They all look like they did great work..... I'm a gettin' there, as far as making up my mind, ...... I'll take one of those and one of these, and two of, you get the idea! Kid in a candy store..... Wife hates me......

Desert......
    Mike

hotbrass

Where do you live? Dont you have a local gunsmith in town? This isnt rocket science, any gunsmith can do it. You just pick your brake and buy it from Midway or Brownells or whoever and have the gunsmith install it.

McKinneyMike

Just ask for a guarantee of the fit and finish work. You should not be able to tell where the barrel ends and the muzzle brake begins. If you go with one of the style brakes that I referenced in my post, then it will need to be indexed. Just show them the brake and ask some obvious questions of them. There are good smiths everywhere. Just because they are not on the internet, does not mean that they are not capable of great work. Ask local shooters for references at your local range. They are out there.

Deserthunter

I didn't mean to imply that there aren't local smith's here in SLC, just that most every custom gunmaker worth anything is swamped.....

Thanks,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast