Thread: Upgrading scope on Savage 11 trophy hunter XP in 308

trigger-finger

Upgrading scope on Savage 11 trophy hunter XP in 308

I have found the scope which came with rifle to not have enough zoom, lacks parallax adjustment and I would rather learn Mildot than BDC reticle. I primary shoot benchrest at the range but will keep 3-9x40 for hunting.

I am thinking of purchasing Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x42 side focus Mildot for roughly $465. I think the only thing it lacks is FFP (first focal plane).

Is there a better option in this price range? I will eventually upgrade rifle but wanted to learn what I need to be a better shooter first. For me a scope with Parallax adjustment and Mildot seem vital to great shooting.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Actually it depends on what type of shooting you are doing. If sitting at a bench and trying to shoot small groups then a fine cross hair and lots of magnification will be more useful than mil-dots. If you are looking for holdover then I would go with a scope that has MOA marks or a BDC type rather than mil.
    More shooting, less typing.

trigger-finger
    Holdover is the main reason I would prefer Mil. Bdc only has marks on the bottom. What if you want to also calculate for spindrift or strong side wind or if you are not shooting at a level target ie shooting uphill at a target were you may need your holdover above the reticle lines. I also would like to be able to calculate distances by measuring objects of known sizes using mildots. Goal here is learning the mildot system and what it can do for you in adverse conditions. Maybe overthinking here but there seems to be a hell of a science associated with mildots which would seem important ti know when taking a long range shot without balastics calc and spotter scope.
    Really trying to learn the science more than investing in custom stocks or super highend scopes.

emtrescue6
    For the money the Nikon Monarch you mention is hard to beat...I have a Monarch 4-16x50 (side focus) on my 257 Roberts AI and love love love it (although mine is a Nikoplex I hate BDC and MilDot scopes...I prefer to use the same type of reticle on all of my scopes regardless of use).

I did side by side tests of several scopes and the Monarch was as clear as any Leupold or Zeiss I checked it against and has a comparable warranty.

That being said, I have a Swift Premier in 6-24x50 (AO) on my Model 10 FLCP-K in 308 and it's pretty close to the quality of the Monarch and a little less money...very good scope (clarity and quality) for the money. I have several Swift scopes including one on a 270 that's been on it for near 15 years and has operated flawlessly on many a hunt; they have all preformed well and well worth checking out.

stinkyspice
    i have all nikon scopes and love the quality and clearness of the lenses for the price is amazing...
    i have a 4x12x40 pro staff and it work really good for hunting and at the range. i got that piece for 250 on amazon probably a year ago

trigger-finger
    Thinking of maybe spending a couple hundred more and getting a Voretx SFP mildot scope. Is it worth the extras dollars?