Thread: newbie questions

zmadren

newbie questions

Would like to know everyone's advice on how to install scope mount, rings and scope. And zeroing scope and rifle. Which would you recommend for my savage .308 100 yd or 200 yd zero.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zmadren View Post
    Would like to know everyone's advice on how to install scope mount, rings and scope. And zeroing scope and rifle. Which would you recommend for my savage .308 100 yd or 200 yd zero.
    after getting (everyones) advice your apt to be more confused than you are now. all types of education cost money and this would be no exception. you might be better going to a local gun shop and have them install a scope while you watch. as for zero distance 100 yds is
    popular. it could be that there are more places you can shoot 100 than 200 causing some of that. it could also be most of us would rather walk 100 rather than 200 to the target. and it could be it really dosent matter.

zmadren
    I would rather do it myself. I got torque drive and levels available. I have range available up to 300 yards.

Nandy
    You can google it and you will get plenty of information. As far as how far to zero the gun it will depend on the use. If you hunt and shoot in deep woods then 100 yds zero is common, for longer shots 200 zero is more common. It really depends on what are you shooting and the distances you plan to shoot which we dont know what they are...

zmadren
    I googled it. Just trying to get the inside scoop from some experienced Savage owners. I always learn 2x as much from experienced people. Most likely wont be hunting, never have. Want too. More or less my buddy and I are really interested in long distance shooting. Working as a sniper/spotter team

Nandy
    I dont think there is much "inside scoop". there are all mount the same regardless of it is a marlin, savage, etc. What type mount, rings and scope are you mounting?
    Weaver or picatinny one piece bases are easy to install and assure you that if you are using good rings the rig will line up properly without much trouble. If using dovetail bases there is a little more involved to get the rings aligned properly. Tight all nuts to specs and it would not hurt to use loctite (the blue one) for the bases screws.
    Use a laser or the bore method to get you in paper at 25 to 50 yds.
    If you have 300yd range access i would zero initially at 100 yds, get all the pertinent information needed to calculate your drop and verify that info in real range then make a dope chart and go shoot often. I would love it myself to have access to a 300yds place to shoot. All I can get is 100yds about 1hour one way drive from my place and 200 yds about 1hour and 30 minute one way drive.

Most of all, have fun doing this. good luck.
    Last edited by Nandy; 07-24-2013 at 06:53 PM.

What mounts and rings are you using?

If 300 yards will be the farthest you shoot then you can zero at 100, 200 or 300. I would zero at 100 and learn my drop at 200 and 300 so I could just dial it in when changing distance.
    More shooting, less typing.

zmadren
    I am mounting a Viper PST 4-16X50 FFP MRAD scope with Vortex rings on EGW picatunny 20 moa mount. This is on my Savage 11 VT .308

My first goal is hitting consistently at 300, then 500, 750, and ultimately 1000 yards.

Does the scope have the BDC reticle?

JCalhoun
    For a tactical rifle the EGR and Badger brand Picatinny rails and rings are quite popular. You can get away with a zero taper base using a .308 out to 500y.

These should come with easy to follow installation guides. Regardless of what style or brand you use don't over tighten the screws and use plenty of oil on the threads.

BTW, where are you located?

zmadren
    It is there EBR-1 Mrad. Mildot

I am up in Indianapolis, In