Thread: Savage Model 11 - Bolt is hard to open , need instructions on where to polish

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bennybone

Question Savage Model 11 - Bolt is hard to open , need instructions on where to polish

Hello all -

I bought the Savage from Cabelas, used, for my wife and kids, it is the Lady Hunter model in 6.5 Creedmoor.

I installed the EGW # 41000 scope base mount and trimmed the front base screw to avoid binding the bolt. I didn't touch the three other screws.

I threaded a 1/4 x 28 TPI nut onto the front action screw and shaved off two threads and backed out the nut to open threads for reassembly. The front action screw should be clear from the receiver.

As you can probably tell where I am going with this....

The bolt is hard to cycle after dry fire, I haven't fired the gun yet but I assume a piece of fired brass isn't going to make it easier.

I'd like to get this solved, here is what my search of the FAQ / Forum / Internet has yielded.

• Not much information on how to disassemble the Model 11 bolt on the forums, the biggest difference I can see outright is the lack of a spring in the BAS / cocking sleeve area and the cocking indicator being dead center in the BAS. What does that spring do in the 110 and why isn't it needed in the M11?
    • So no joy for a bolt lift kit based on the cocking indicator
    • I have the bolt torn down but again, not much illustrations (video or photos) of other Model 11 bolts with those handy arrows pointing to the areas that should be stoned/polished/flitzed/buffed out.
    • I have some lapping compound and a cut case that can be spring loaded to provide rearward pressure on the lugs but I don't want to get radical if there is a reason not to do this (headspace).
    • Some users have cut a couple coils off the firing pin spring, I do not want to do this.

This gun isn't going to anybody's shop to be timed and trued, I want to make this a better unit with some diligence and elbow grease not extra $$$. I'm not being unreasonable, I don't think , as in my opinion guns should come from the factory without a need to be tuned in.

I will go through the effort to take photos and video if that is what it takes to get the ball rolling but I am hoping that someone already has the photos from their bolt slickup on a Model 11.

Thanks in advance for your replies and guidance -

BB

Update 7-26-13 -

Here is a video of the bolt slick up thus far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoPtHPjt2c8
    Last edited by Bennybone; 07-27-2013 at 01:40 AM.