Thread: New Savage Hog Hunter

Gunjack

New Savage Hog Hunter

Hello all,

I am new to Savage Shooters. Wanted to say hello!

I wanted to speak with some of you about my New Savage Hog Hunter. I per-ordered this gun with out seeing it in person. I guess that was my first mistake. I relied on my experience I have with my 93 in 17 hmr. Which is my most favorite small caliber gun. I did not have the same experience with the hog hunter.

When I got the box in my hand I was so excited, I per-ordered this gun about 6 weeks ago. It came in earlier than I expected. My first let down was that my gun was just in the box without any plastic sleeve like many of my other new guns have come with. I noticed that the receiver had made contact with the box and rubbed the matte finish off. Then I noticed that the bolt head was rusted. I cleaned it a little, then I stopped. Realizing that I should be cleaning the rust off a new gun. Then the worst of the worst. The stock, It is a much lighter color than what is shown on the website. Not only that. The injection molding marks are horrible. I have many guns with syn stocks. If the time is taken, you have a great stock, This stock has sloppy injection molding marks all over it. It looks like a cheap Chinese toy. Not only that. The stock is crooked,....I know they will not be perfect. This can't be normal. This is so far off,....I just don't have words..... I am so disappointed. I had pre ordered a base, rings, a nice Nikon 3x9x50 and I am even having JP make a custom break for this gun because I got it in 338.....I'm at a loss for words. Is this typical for Savage?

Grott

Re: New Savage Hog Hunter

Sounds like a return to me. Can you post some pictures of the stock.
    Mine had some major injection marks and seams, but was straight. After some light sanding and some work with a sharp knife mine got a coat of paint and came out looking pretty good.

Good luck getting things worked out,
    Garett

Gunjack

I can't figure out how to post pictures. I get a link, the IMG-IMG....but I have no clue how to use that

Aircraftmech76

You need to upload the photos to an account like one at Photobucket. Once uploaded, click on the IMG link under the photo (there will also be one for direct link and a couple others). Paste the IMG link you clicked on. Viola!

Kevin

Gunjack

[img width=459 height=768]http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o497/Boxerboy16/IMAG0209.jpg[/img]

[img width=459 height=768]http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o497/Boxerboy16/IMAG0212.jpg[/img]

[img width=459 height=768]http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o497/Boxerboy16/IMAG0213.jpg[/img]

thanks aircraft!

Op, ur rifle stock was assembled by the same monkey as my lrpv.
    I handled a hog hunter at cabelas and it looked much better than yours.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Team Savage

Send it back

Coyotejunki

Call them up and send it back. Quality control must have taken that day off.

Basic Member

Send back with a note howd much you love Savage rifles, and this must have been a terrible mistake by the shipping department.

HM

Never have seen one this bad!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

chadster73

Yeah buddy.... send that dude back. They will take care of you! Don't lose your faith over this one!

Gunjack

I boxed it up last night. It will be getting to the local UPS ASAP. I spoke with savage, they are going to pay to have it shipped back. I hope they make good on their word. Thanks for all your help. Looks like I got a lemon.

Grott

Who did you purchase this through? Savage direct?

Gunjack

I bought this through Hayatt Gun and Coin,NC. I spoke with them. They said. If I sent it to them, all they would be able to do is send it back to Savage, like I am doing. Because they do not have any others in stock. So if I asked them to take care of It I would just be adding to the time, until I get it back.

irondog54

This is NOT typical Savage quality. Return it!

Gunjack

I think I am going to return it and get a Ruger. By the time upgrade the stock, and put a real metal trigger guard on the gun. Return the base and the scope rings I am only 40 dollars away from a much better gun. Not only if I buy a stock, I will have to inlet it. I want to shoot the gun, I just don't have weeks of down time to tinker with all of this.

Gunjack

Am speaking with Savage now,....on hold for a life time it feels....They are saying that what is in the bolt is Dulite from the black oxide finishing on the gun. No rust,...that sounds like a bunch of BS.

Basic Member

To each his own, but ruger is in no way shape or form a better gun. You could buy a nicer savage with the money.

Basic Member

I have a factory Tupperware bedded by me stock on my savages and they will flat shoot. Stock upgrade is not neccesary.

Basic Member

What's the action screw spacing on this gun? I'm interested in one but I will change the stock if it's possible.

WALKER80

Looks like the stevens 200 I bought for $150.00 still shot under an inch but ugly as hell.

Gunjack

Well I received my gun back from Savage. They fixed:

1. The stock, full replacement. Nice new stock, beautiful.
    2. Refinished the whole gun, to fix the wear on the receiver. (I thought this was nice, so the whole gun is uniform.
    3. They shipped it back to me very fast, not one cent out of my pocket.
    4. Bolt head uncleaned, looks the same as when I sent it back to them.

It was a battle. I actually went back through my cell phone and checked the history under the numbers I called Savage,......I spent over 5.5 hours talking and on hold with them...lol.....(I know I have to much time on my hands)...

At first they tried feeding me some BS. They tried to explain that the rust on the bolt was left over "Dulite" or "hotbath". The treatment that they use to apply the finish to the gun. Well I called and spoke with Walt, the owner of Dulite. He said that Savage does not use Dulite, they use hotbath, but they are exactly the same process and end result. He explained to me that if the material on the bolt was a result of the hotbath process. Then it was done incorrectly and at to high of a temperature. Also if it was happening on the bolt, it would happen in other areas on the gun where the same parts were coated. So rust or no rust. I do want a poor finish or rust on my new gun anywhere.

The stock, at first they weren't going to replace the stock. Then they were going to fix it. Then they wanted to replace the stock. Then they,.......around around we went. I spoke with about 3 people untill I got to the big man upstairs. He, when we were on the phone went and got my gun, so he had it in front of him.

In it's simplest form it went down like this. Stock ok, we will replace this,....finish ok we will fix this,......bolt face,.....still got the Dulite story.......We will ship it back to you asap when it's all done.....

Several phone calls later,....some of them not so nice.

At the end, they agreed to have the gun refinished and a new stock put on. I have the gun back and am very happy....with one exception. They did not clean the face of the bolt. So I am going to take it to a local lab to have it tested...I know this might seem like overkill. In my mind there shouldn't ever be anything like this on a gun. The fact that it went back to the company and was scrutinized by the head of customer service and it still came back to me uncleaned and the exact same way I sent it to them (the bolt face), makes me unhappy. They should have at least cleaned it. Or replaced the bolt. This was my biggest grip and they didn't fix it. So I plan to scrub it, clean it and oil it up to help preserve it. However, if the rust is internal. It will keep coming out with me working the bolt. So After I shoot it the first time, we will see if it is still coming from the inside.

TRguy

Being I live 20 minutes from Hyatts, its very likely your items was sitting on the shelf and re boxed for shipment to you. I have never heard of a rifle coming from Savage with out the firearm in a plastic sleeve bag and also the bolt. As to the rust and the stock, I agree those items should be satisfactory when they reach you from Savage.

I personally would recommend you buy from Buds Gun Shop on line as they have a NO HASSLE Return policy. You get an items and for whatever reason you arent happy with it (Inspect it before you transfer it) call them for a call tag and they pay the freight back and send you out another replacement or refund you money.

I know of what I speak. I am an FFL and handled literally hundreds of transfers from Buds and the few that had to go back (Rugers and Remingtons only so far) went back without a hitch.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

yoter
    Bought my hog hunter 308 from Buds. Great value. Arrived as new with none of the problems described above.