Thread: got the savage .223

nitrousneil

got the savage .223

last week i put a post up weather or not to get a savage 110fp that i seen at a local dealer, it was used but well setup, has a choate tactical stock, a dangerous trigger, bushnell 3200 elete scope with tactical turrets and mildot, picatinny rail, and a heavy barrel.

i took it out yesterday for a quick shoot and it shot 3/4 groups at 100 and 1.5 groups at 200 with cheap remington ammo, i would like to get some good ammo and see if it tightens up!!!

im extremly happy with this gun already...

fatdaddy

Re: got the savage .223

Thats one fine lookin rifle.... I got one just like it. I have always rolled my own. But if your shooting factory loads try black hills 50 or 55 gr vmax. I got a box as a gift a few years back, mine loved'em. Good luck, Bill

Basic Member

Blackhills also has some heavier stuff I would try. I had great luck with thier 69 grain SMK loadings before I started making my own. In fact they shot so well that is what I load my handloads with.

I shoot .3's regularly with my handloads and get MOA performance out of factory ammo it likes, BH and Ultramax mostly.

Dolomite

possum1

Dolomite, have you tried the SMK 77's ?

Basic Member

No I haven't, I was waiting until I got a 7 twist barrel efore I stared on a new recipe. My current barrel is a 9 twist and even though 77's should work I don't feel the need to change. I have been told the best heavier bullet to use is a 80 grain bullet and that nothing can be gained for long range performance (1K yards) between anything heaiver or even somewhat lighter. My 69 grain loads drop below the speed of sound somewhere around 850 yards but when I ran the numbers for the 80 grain loads they stayed above that past 1K.

If I find some loacally I may try some heavier stuff but as it is right now I am happy with the way everything shoots. Another thing is because of my health I don't have a lot of motivation to try different things. Also, a day at the range ensures I can't function for the next 3 days so I don't want to have to go to the range a lot for testing. I have a 50 yard range at home but even that makes things bad for me for a while.

Dolomite

possum1

I'm going with a 8 twist Wylde from NNS to go with my Dog Tracker from SSS. Do they all make a 7 twist now ?? Jim didn't mention one today when I talked to him. ???

Basic Member

Savage has a factory 7 twist barrel. Because I am not worried about match grade performance I am happy with factory barrels.

Dolomite

As soon as Sharp Shooter Supply gets .223 bolt heads in, I'll be finishing a build using a factory stainless/fluted varmint weight with 1 in 7 twist. My first loads will use the Sierra 80 gr Match pills and Berger 80 gr VLD's.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.