Thread: Issues while zeroing, ran out of windage

Toyoda

Unhappy Issues while zeroing, ran out of windage

Rifle was a 111 trophy hunter XP, 25-06. It shot great from the factory and I really seem to like the quarter bore....so it replaced my Xbolt as my go to rifle.
    I replaced the stock with the Hogue overmold, pillars only.
    I bedded the action, floated the barrel and tang (Devcon).
    Burris 2 piece bases, Signature Zee rings (high).
    Swarovski PH 4-16X50 scope.
    NSS recoil lug.
    Factory Remington 100gr. core lokt psp.

I left the 0* offset's in. I set my target out at ~25 yards. First shot was 5.5" high and 4.5" to the left. On my 4th shot I got it down to .75" and 2" left then ran out of windage.

Is there something wrong (did I do something to throw my alignment off)? Even though the scope was sighted in for my Xbolt 270wsm, I shouldn't have run out of adjustment (I don't think I should have).
    Or
    Do I just re-center the scope (optical zero) and use the offset's to bring my POI to my POA?

I pulled the scope to check torque on the bases and rings, they are still tight (I lock tighted them on when I did the initial install)

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyoda View Post
    Do I just re-center the scope (optical zero) and use the offset's to bring my POI to my POA?
    Just in case there is a manufacturing defect of some type or another, I would try switching the mounts from and bases from front to back and from left to right, recentering the scope each time to see what would bring me closest to center. If, after that, no combination or permutation got me close to a reasonable boresight, than yes, I would use the offset rings to bring the scope on target to the best of my ability.
    Last edited by thomae; 07-21-2013 at 08:23 PM.

Predator53
    Tell you what I did when it happened to.....I'm useing a good lazar bore slighter...I zero the scope....counted the clicks on my windage...say 300 clicks....turned turrets 150 clicks..pulled turret caps and put them on zero.......did both turrets....put my rifle on good surface with bipod....ranged 100 yards....flower pot made my adjustments....counted all my clicks. Bam dead on!....zero d turret caps on....went to the range..my 243 was off by 2 inches a few clicks later it was dead on and still plenty of adjust up to 500 yards....and its not even a high dollar scope

stangfish
    Another way to zero a scope to center is to rotate them in your rings with the rifle clamped. Look through the scope and roll it to the left and roll it to the right. The crosshair should be very close to the same location as you turn it left to right or vise versa. I have a v block setup but I would assume this would suffice. Not all scopes are centered in their respective adjustment ranges.

Inspect the rings closely.

If you still have the factory supplied two-piece Weaver-style bases, that's likely the culprit. I've found many over the years where the mounting screw holes were slightly off-center, and just rotating one of them 180-degrees could move the point of impact several inches at 100 yards. Best bet would be to step up to a quality aftermarket CNC machined base such as one from EGW, TPS, Bench Source, Ken Farrell, DNZ Products, etc. Tons of good options and styles out there to choose from.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    theres still nothing wrong with using a redfield or leupold base and ring setup either.
    with those there is windage adjustment in the rear base.
    the reticle could be centered for windage and the bore sighting done with the base adjustments.

pitsnipe
    +1 on that. If you are 4.5" left at 25 yards then you will be 18" left (72 clicks) at 100 yards. (I'm assuming you have a 1/4 moa scope) Straight line gets farther away from center farther out you go. Its asking an awful lot to make up that distance with the windage adjustment. So I would put the reticle back to windage center and use the windage adjustment screw on the base for as much of that adjustment that I could. Then refine it (last inch or so at 100 yards) with the knob.
    Good luck

Toyoda
    I re-centered my scope by counting clicks, and swapped the rings/bases like Thomae posted. I haven't had a chance to get out and bore sight it to see where I am at.
    I thought the Burris bases I had were good quality? (Burris extreme tactical) I wanted to stay with a 2 piece mount for this gun, more room for my fingers in the event the case doesn't extract very well.

The scope is .18"@100, but yea it sucked up my adjustment.

Predator53
    I d go to the EGW one piece base 0 moa...you want the scope as low as possable....I had the same problem with my axis....and these guys make some aswome quality mounts and their hunters like us and won t break the bank...their located in. Quakertown Pa call them and their set you up...but before you do this....bore sight too 100 yards then shoot it....Rusty

Basic Member
    leupold makes their bases in both 1 or 2 peice. the rings would be the same for both.
    this will solve your problem guaranteed.

Toyoda
    I finally got a chance to get back to the range this morning. I bore sighted it at 25 yards and got it very close by playing with the ring inserts, then dialed it in at 100 and still have alot of adjustment in the scope (the whole point of the signature rings).