Thread: 12 LRPV NUTLESS BARREL ???

sandrifle

12 LRPV NUTLESS BARREL ???

Well I hope I didn't screw up, or I should say, I hope the guy who did the work ALREADY didn't screw it up ??
    I have a feeling I should have gotten on here and asked this ? before this barreling project took place. I had a very well known outfit install a barrel on a brand new 12 LRPV only to receive it an realize that it just doesn't look quite right. Slight rewind, this is my first experience with a Savage action... I asked for a nutless install and was told they don't do it any other way, okay that is what I wanted anyway so go for it, as they seemed to know more about it than I did?

Well my ? ... What is the minimum amount of shoulder that should be in contact with the recoil lug ? I don't think they realized this is a large shank action and the barrel they used is a 1.200" which only left approx. .038" of shoulder in contact with the lug. Looks very skimpy and has me worried about support/ridgidity as this was a 30" MTU contour. Has anyone had any experience with this situation and was the outcome okay or is (to late now) 1.250" the minimum to work with on a large shank without a nut ??

Any counseling is welcome as I probably won't get much sleep until someone responds as no one in the know is available by phone till Monday morning.

Thanks!

possum1

Re: 12 LRPV NUTLESS BARREL ???

I'm sorry I can't give you an anwser, but someone will be along might be tommorow to answer your question. I notice your a basic user, you may be able to use the search feature, if not it is well worth the membership fee for all the wealth of knowledge about Savage firearm's

pa hog

If you had a "well known outfit" do your install they should have enough experiance to do it right, I would think. You could alway have it turned down and use a nut if it would provide you with more contact. I have no large shank to measure off of to help ya out but PM Sinman he'll be able to give you more insight.

Basic Member

I have an first generation 110 that has a .25-06 barrel that is "nutless". I bought it that way. Not a problem at all. It is set up just like all the other brands that don't have a barrel nut. As long as you plan to keep this one barrel there you are fine. If you decide you want to switch barrels, all you have to do is buy the barrel nut for the next install.

PIC? So there is a big ugly step down from the receiver and lug dia. to the barrel?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

sandrifle

Hi, here are some pics (I hope-first attempt to post). Also, I did PM Sinman for his insight as suggested.
    Thanks again.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy353/teestools/IMG_7014.jpg[/img]

Not much of a shoulder?

[img width=600 height=450]http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy353/teestools/IMG_7013.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy353/teestools/IMG_7012.jpg[/img]

pa hog

I'd have that turned down and threaded more if it were mine and use a nut

1Shot

..Yup, put a nut on it...

steveinwv

Did you ever think about just shooting it? I'd say its fine. Shoot once, take your hand and see if it comes loose. Shoot a second time, take your hand and see if it comes loose. Shoot it a third time..............see where I'm going? Its not gonna blow up. I would tighten it down good and give it a try. My $0.02.

stevec

I agree. Shoot it. wont hurt anything.

Steve

sandrifle

Hey Guys, thanks for your replys, much appreciated. I did Pm Sinman and got a reply and it seems the consensus is to go with a nut at this point. I also had emailed Lisa/Fred at SSS Sat. morning and was pleasantly surprised to receive a call back from Fred who was barricaded in his shop by 6 FEET of snow and had a moment (over an hour!) to yak with me on this ?. He is a great guy with way to much info! As a side note Fred did do the truing and timing on this action but NOT the barrel work, just wanted to be clear. The action job looks and feels great! In the end I will shoot it as is just as a test to see what the before and after outcome might be and will give you guys a follow up here, but will definitely be going with a nut. You may have noticed in the pics that there are 2 barrels as this was a switch barrel setup which I did not mention to begin with. It MAY shoot fine to begin with BUT my feeling after thinking through my intended swapping of barrels is most likely there will be some shrinking of headspace as that very small shoulder compresses/deforms and wears and or galls the recoil lug with so little contact.
    Thanks again everyone!

possum1

Lucky dog !!! What are the odd's of getting to talk to Fred any, much less for an hour.