Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 Win Mag

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

300 Win Mag

OK--I know this isn't necessarily Axis territory--but does anyone have any experience with 300 Win Mag in any savage--I'm toying with the idea of getting the 111 and seeing if I can get some good long-range accuracy out of it. I know this is a "pounder" caliber and I'm a bit concerned about not having a muzzle break--and what is a good aftermarket stock set-up to help keep my shoulder attached to my body.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

thomae
    Moderator pet peeve: A member knows that he is starting an off-topic thread (i.e., in the wrong section) and takes the time to mention that fact within the post, but can't be bothered to actually start the thread in the correct section of the forum.

I guess I'll credit it to the OP making an early morning post before having had sufficient cups of coffee.

I'm moving this thread from Savage Axis/Edge Rifles where it was started but does not belong, to Savage 110-based Centerfire Rifles since the OP wishes to discuss his future 111 build.

Sorry boss--it's just that this is where I do my hanging out, so I was actually soliciting comments from the axis guys that may have had trigger time behind the 300 regardless of platform--but I understand your peeve.

thomae
    Now to provide some thoughts:
    There are a number of threads about various magnum calibers...there is an active one on 300 mag versus 7mm mag. Have you searched for it? There are about as many different opinions about your question as we have members, so stand by.

Muzzle brakes can be very effective. But they do make it significantly louder for the shooter and the folks around the shooter. You will find that some folks like them and others don't.

The heavier your stock (and your rifle, overall), the lower the apparent (felt) recoil.

The better the stock fits your shoulder, and the more surface area that is in contact with your body, the lower the apparent recoil.

Shooting offhand is much easier on the shoulder than shooting prone or from a bench because your body is more able to rock backwards and dissipate the effect of the recoil throughout the mass of your whole body instead of just your shoulder.

However, you didn't say what you wanted to do with this rifle. Is this for walking around hunting? Stand hunting? Competition? Primarily prone shooting? Benchrest shooting? etc... It makes a big difference with respect to stock and muzzle brake recommendations.

Lots of folks get long range accuracy out of 300 WinMag, but depending on what you want to do with it, there may be suggestions as to better chamberings that will give you long range accuracy with lower recoil. For example, many folks are shooting 1000 yards very accurately with various 6mm and 6.5mm cartridges.

It is difficult for other members to provide useful answers if they don't know what you intend to do with the rifle. If you would be willing to fill in the details, you will likely get more useful information.

I guess the best way to answer "what do I want it for" is to say I want it all--that is maybe 90% of the time bench/prone shooting at range testing out handloads--but I want the option to hit targets up to 1000 yds and retain the ability to take down game (after much practice and dialing everything in) at intermediate/long range. That's why I'm attracted to this caliber-seems like it's a good flat shooter for 30 caliber but also has the power to deliver take-down wallop at the long ranges. Understand the shooting off-hand--but in that case wouldn't be even more important to have the load and barrel tuned so that the round is leaving the muzzle with minimal lift? Thanks for advice. BTW, when I do a search for 300 win mag I get "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."
    Last edited by thermaler; 07-21-2013 at 08:01 AM.

thomae
    Yes, the search engine on this site is admittedly rather weak. Try some similar but different search terms. I used "300wm" and came up with some stuff. You might also want to scroll through the listings of posts in this section and in the Help me Decide section to see if you can find something interesting. Here are some related threads that discuss some of the merits and opinions of various long distance calibers, for example: http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ighlight=300wm, http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ter-Need-input, http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...-your-thoughts

I shoot a 6.5 swede successfully at 1000 yards. The 6.5 bullets are available with the high BC and SD to take medium sized game out to relatively long distances (but I didn't build it as a walk around hunting rifle). It is easy on my shoulder. I am not trying to convince you to change to this particular chambering, but just to let you know that there are other possibilities and solutions.

The rhetorical question I would ask in response to your post is: which is more important to you: 1. 300WM chambering? or 2. Ability to shoot long distances accurately and take game out to medium long ranges? The two are not mutually exclusive, but there may be solutions that are "out of the box" that would fulfill the requirements of the latter criteria, even though they didn't meet the first criterion.

I'll step down now and let all the folks who are smarter than I start chiming in.

I already have a 6.5 284 norma and that's my current LR 6.5 flavor I'm in development with so I was kinda interested in a 30 caliber that goes further with more punch than 308 win since I believe it should mean cross-usage of much of my 308 reload components except for brass.

You could always build another 6.5 and cross use your 6.5 components too. I just got my 6.5-06 Ackley running good and with a 140 berger I am able to carry the same amount of energy out to 1000 yards as a 300 win mag with a 210 berger and I am about 7 feet flatter in trajectory and about 10" better in the wind with using less powder and generating the recoil of a 270.

thomae
    Thermaler: If you are keeping abreast of other current posts, you have probably read this one which poses a question very similar to yours.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ter-Need-input

In Reply to some of your earlier questions that have already been answered by Thomae but I'll throw some of my own experience with the Win Mag.

I had never fired one before being handed a Very Nice (Non Savage) custom 300 Win Mag to shoot a Feral Hog in Australia... One thing I did know was that they kick..I had only fired .243 as my largest calibre before that and so I was a little scared... The funny thing was that with the Muzzle brake I hardly felt it... that combined with shooting at live quarry meant I was more pre occupied with the placement of shot rather than the recoil.

We took the same rifle to the range.. Gotta say that I felt all of those shots... but it was very accurate and I have seen a few long range rigs here in NZ that have been plenty accurate for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    Thermaler: If you are keeping abreast of other current posts, you have probably read this one which poses a question very similar to yours.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ter-Need-input
    Good info--thanks for the reference.

Speedrat1
    the 300 wm is hands down the most accurate Savage I ever worked up. After I found how to load it ragged holes were the norm, not the exception. Don't know if they still have any but the barrel I used was just a Savage ss "second" I purchased brand new from Gun Parts Corp. It liked 180 Sierra's seated out to within 1/32 of the lands. By .1 away (they're deep throated) it was just a "normal" 1 1/2 group shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedrat1 View Post
    the 300 wm is hands down the most accurate Savage I ever worked up. After I found how to load it ragged holes were the norm, not the exception. Don't know if they still have any but the barrel I used was just a Savage ss "second" I purchased brand new from Gun Parts Corp. It liked 180 Sierra's seated out to within 1/32 of the lands. By .1 away (they're deep throated) it was just a "normal" 1 1/2 group shooter.
    Which Savage are you talking about--or does it make littledifference as long as you have the right barrel? The recoilthing does concern me--but I'm willing to take some punishment as long as I can get the round out the barrel in good style. I have a 12 guage that I occassionally go out and fire 3" magnums out of and I know that is pounding about as bad as anything in the rifle world.

Speedrat1
    Forgot but meant to mention - with the 300wm a lead sled is your friend!

stangfish
    Is that a semi auto 12? You can put a muzzle device on you WM.

Don't know if they still have any but the barrel I used was just a Savage ss "second" I purchased brand new from Gun Parts Corp.
    I got one also. Unmarked...a Shaw I suspect. Lights out.

reg ole rem 870 express hand pump.

Thomae: Considering your fondness for the 6.5 bore size, plus to the point, erudite, and cool posts, I get the feeling that if we lived closer to one another we probably would be fairly good friends. Just sayin!

thomae
    WBM: thanks for the positive reinforcement. I'ver never been to New Mexico, but if I go, I'll try to remember to look you up. If you are ever in the central PA area, let me know ahead of time and I'll try to get together over a few beverages (adult or otherwise) and some food. A loaf of bread, a jug of wine, and some shootin' buddies...what could be better?

Thermaler, from what I have heard (and I don't own a 300 WM and it's been a long time since I shot one) and from what I recollect, there is a difference in the "feel" of shotgun recoil and rifle recoil. Shotgun recoil is a hard push (Sometimes it feels like a push from a big foot with a heavy boot on) and rifle recoil tends to be sharper, more like a hammer blow. I speak is sweeping generalizations here, not fact-based number crunching.

I also recall reading somewhere that the diameter of the projectile changed the apparent feel of recoil. I think it also has to do with the burn rate of the powder to some extent. My recollection is that a smaller diameter projectile in a cartridge that produces XX pounds of recoil will feel harder or have more "impact" than a larger diameter projectile with the also produces XX recoil.

I guess the upshot is that recoil is very subjective and your experiences with a shotgun might or might not be an indication of how you perceive the 300 WinMag recoil.

That said, I am by no means trying to steer you away from 300 WinMag if that is your choice...just trying to work the discussion around to as many of the different factors that folks consider when selecting a cartridge and building a rifle.

no sweat--appreciate your input. The best thing to do would simply go out and fire one I guess.

In an article in American Hunter a couple of years ago, David Draper tested out one of Cabelas 50th Anniversary rifles in 300 H&H Magnum. The rifle was a Ruger #1. He said that he was expecting for the recoil to be punishing but to his surprise it was a shove rather than a healthy kick and was actually not unpleasant to shoot. He cited the tapered case as one reason for the more mild recoil. Looking at the accuracy and overall performance of the caliber it makes you wonder what is so much better about the 300WM.
    Last edited by wbm; 07-21-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Basic Member
    I have a tapered case 375H&H Magnum, if the tapered case tames the recoil, I'd hate to shoot one in Ackley improved.. I built a 300 win mag long range gun from a Stevens 200. I put a heavier stainless barrel and a JP Tank style brake on it. The felt recoil with the original stock is similar to shooting a 243 with this brake on it. No one will occupy the position next to me at the range after the first time though due to the drastically enhanced noise at the firing position. I'm still working up loads for it, but even with the factory stock it is doing very well for me. I gave my previous 300 win mag to my son due to the recoil issues. It was a Remington, being able to customize the savage family of rifles much more easily keeps me building them. Good luck with the long range project.
    NRA Endowment Member

These last two posts are more what I had in mind--much appreciated! I'mprobably alraedy "overdosing" on the huge array of rifles I already have, but for some reason I REALLY like anything based on 30 caliber. ; )

As far as accuracy goes here is a video of a mates custom 300 win mag doing its thing on a culling session.

It was custom built for the job and is wearing a Schultz and Larsen suppressor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vey05ltuZpE

Some nice accurate long range shots.

That is way cool, that suppressor makes it sound like a 22LR--though I think I'll settle for a good brake. Does anyone have any idea how much of an advantage a 26" and/or heavy barrel brings to the table over a conventional 24" light barrel? I could probably get my foot in the door cheaply with something like the 111 xp or savage weather hunter with SS barrel but they're 24" I believe, though I don't think they're threaded for a muzzle device.
    Last edited by thermaler; 07-22-2013 at 10:47 AM.

Well after much angst and exploring the internet halls of wisdom (possibly a contradiction in terms) I am pleased to announce that I have a Thompson Center Dimension 300 win mag on the way. Please don't throw me off the forum thomae for posting a temporary defection from the Savage brotherhood--I'm still active with several savage rifles and reloading for them! : ) At the very least, I'll let you guys know if I end up in the ER after letting some rounds go. : )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast