Thread: MidwayUSA dogtown varmint bullets ?

Basic Member

MidwayUSA dogtown varmint bullets ?

Anyone have experience and opinions on the MidwayUSA Dogtown varmint bullets for use on prairie dogs ?

Assume shooting them in the 222 Remington class of cartridges and prairie dog distances under 300 yards.

Re: MidwayUSA dogtown varmint bullets ?

Hammer,

I bought some for my 204 Ruger. Loaded them, shot them and didn't hit as many squirrels. My sense is they weren't as accurate as the Hornady V-Max with the same load. In all fairness, I didn't take the time to really do much to find the best load and I didn't compare the two bullets for group size.

Fred
    12 FLV 204 Ruger

dcloco

I buy the 2000 count Varmint Nightmare bullets from MidSouthShootersSupply.....they are accurate...and cheap!

Basic Member

No experience with the Dogtown but we have shot 10,000+ of the Midsouth 55 gr Varmint Nightmare and the 50 gr Varmint Nightmare Extreme in 223 Rems and 223AI's. I think the Varmint Nightmare Extreme is slightly more accurate but others have had better luck with the Varmint Nightmare. I have a LH CZ the was a 223 that I had re barreled with a used factory 221 Fireball barrel. It shoots the 34 gr VNX better than anything else I have tried. (.378" @ 100 yds) As far as the "red mist" factor goes, no one is going to confuse any of these with a V-Max or Nosler BT but they get the job done on PD's. These are pretty much all we use anymore because they are relatively cheap and they work. Sometimes they are hard to come by as Midsouth sells out but they always seem to get more in a week or so.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

I use Dogtown and Varmint Nightmare also Express in 204 and 50 grain in my 22-250s . Both seem to shoot good on paper. The best group I have shot, 5 shots at 100 Yds. .171 was with 50 NMX. I have not used them game yet. The 204s are good on water filled milk jugs to 400 Yds.

Dogtown's in my 204 shot perfectly fine. They don't have the "pop" that V-Maxes do, more like a hornady SX bullet.
    But again for the money, buy all you can
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

hitman49

I shoot the dogtown 55gr in my 223s and my 22-250. Work good for me from the bench and for prairie dogs. Vmax has a better reaction on the dogs but the dogtowns shoot just as good for less money.

Basic Member

I've shot both the Dogtown and Nightmare bullets in my 223s and 22.250s and they averaged about 2-3 times larger groups than the Hornady VMax, Blitzkings and similar quality bullets. The best groups that I ever got with any of the Dogtown/Nightmares ran 1.25 - 1.5" for 5 shots.
    Frank

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

Basic Member

I have shot no less than 10k of the dogtowns & nightmares through my p-dogin guns. Zero issues ever with them and I am getting 1/2-3/4" groups @ 100 yds with both the 50 & 55 SP & HPs using W748/BLC2/Varget powders.
    All shot through my .223 FP10s.
    Varmints & coyotes dont know what hit them. Plop & drop on the spot!
    There aint nothing wrong or bad about them, good bulltes for the money IMO.

setterman

shot some dogtowns in .224 they were ok but would rather spend the money on v-max. much more accurate