Thread: dang that hurt !!!

Basic Member

dang that hurt !!!

just had another dumb@ss moment, i've been getting the 550 going for some 308 loads for my battle rifles, finally got done screwing everything up and got it running right, but figured i'd step outside and pop one off. shot one out of my fal, took a quick look at the brass, no pressure signs, and got a real good seal on the neck, so i was happy. shoved 5 in the mag to make sure it'd cycle everything well, and wouldn't you know it about round 3 i got a little lazy on the hold and scoped myself.

i also forgot how much fun it is to balance a flat based bullet on unprepped brass, i/e doing everything on the dillon. 43.8 varget on a 150gr pill, loaded to mag length.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x210/jicase/100_3515.jpg[/img]
    God still loves you,   yep even on them days....

Re: dang that hurt !!!

Nice rifles.................makes me miss the one I sold back in the late 90's. With a 3X9 scope, I could shoot golf balls off of empty 12 ga hulls at 100 yards using my 168 grain handload and LC brass.

Did ya cut bad enough for stitches?
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Team Savage

On all my scoped ARs, 50 beowulf, 458 socom too, I had Leupold VX1 2-7x mostly for the eye relief.
    Also had one on a 375 ruger. I think its around 4.5"

Basic Member

these rifles are as bought, came from an estate, i have been learning about them lately. gotta do something to mind the time till the snow melts and we can get back to shooting. they are pretty hard hitters on the shoulder, if i leave that scope on it, i'll have to put at least 2"s on the butt plate or move it forward. i'll probably buy/sell/trade a few of them and end up w/ one good keeper.

kinda got a chuckle at our chickens, the free range pickins are kinda thin, they were all over those freshly dug 308 diameter craters within minutes....

Uncle Jack

The biggest complaint with FALs has always been recoil and barrel climb during automatic fire. When FN was developing the rifle shortly after WWII, they had in mind chambering for a smaller 7mm round. Then the US and all of the NATO countries went Ape $hit over the 308 Win/7.62 NATO round. FN pretty much streched the envelope by chambering for the NATO cartridge and changing a few springs. They still managed to come out with a pretty decent rifle, but it does kick.

uj

dcloco

Do your homework on these FAL's....some of these are worth a little more than others...some significantly more.

I sold one FAL....and should have kept it. IMHO, these are the best battle weapon out there. Adjustable gas system is nice to have.

Basic Member

i know, but these two are nothing real special, one is a century frankenfal, it is all inch and shoots well, the second is an imbel metric mismatch, inch upper, metric lower, but both are ban era weapons. i think there are 2 more available where these came from, plus allot of parts, i foresee closing a deal on them soon, then i will get down to the dirty part of the research, and try to come up w/ something really nice...

just something to play w/ till the snow goes away...

Hershy I know the feeling I have 2 half moon scars over my right eye from "SCOPE BITE" but it was from a 12gauge during a sighting in session the first time the second was a week later while hunting. Got the 6pointer but darn near fell out of the tree stand when I got bit again.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Uncle Jack

"SCOPE BITE"

They used to call that a "Weatherby Eyebrow"

uj

Eric in NC

I love my STG58 - have a Burris compact 2-7X on it so I never have had any eye relief issues.

Don't find the FAL's to kick much in semi-auto (heavy rifle) but anytime a scope catches your face it isn't fun.

[img width=580 height=450]http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd314/erbeckerdite/a432.jpg[/img]

The big brother doesn't kick at all but gets expensive to feed.

Basic Member

i got a bunch of that ammo already linked up, when i get around to delinking you can have the links... or if it a real bear to link up, i'll trade yah components for it...

Eric in NC

Quote Originally Posted by hershey
    i got a bunch of that ammo already linked up, when i get around to delinking you can have the links... or if it a real bear to link up, i'll trade yah components for it...
    1919 links? Or M-60 links?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eric in NC
    Quote Originally Posted by hershey
    1919 links? Or M-60 links?
    hell if i know, they look like what you got in the pic, if they both visually look the same then i don't know...

Eric in NC

So the links are around the neck and shoulder of the cartridge rather than around the body/rim?

Basic Member

i guess they are different, they got a little tab that hangs down and engages the rim... oh well.

it took allot of digging to figure that out, they were in lllooonnnngggg term storage.